Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights the Tecnica MAGMA S MID GTX Hiking Boots (Review)

image

I know I’ve mentioned it before, but it bears repeating…I love hiking and outdoor adventures as much as I love beer. If you happen to follow me on Instagram, you can’t miss the fact that my photos are 99% travel and hiking and 1% beer. With that admission off my chest, I was really happy to get a chance to try out an exciting new pair of fast hiking boots.

The boots are called the Tecnica MAGMA MID S GTX and they are a really promising evolution of the Tecnica MAGMA  fast hiking line of boots. The boots are full-featured (see below) and they have to be one of the lightest pairs of mid-height boots I’ve ever tried. If that’s not enough, the boots are also waterproof and breathable (thanks to a Gore-Tex liner); AND did I mention that they are really comfortable?image

Check out this feature overview courtesy of Tecnica:

Lightweight Protection + Grip

The outsole combines Vibram Litebase and Megagrip compound rubber. It wraps the upper at critical abrasion zones, providing grip, traction, and durability not just underfoot, but at the toe and along the sides without the weight of a traditional outsole and no need for a conventional glued rubber rand.

Fast Transition

The last, midsole toe rocker, and unique rounded toe shape have been carefully designed to enhance the MAGMA S MID GTX’s responsiveness, grip and fast acceleration and transition in technical terrain.

Downhill Performance

The ultra-large heel shape provides stability when hiking or running downhill and on technical traverses. Two rubber stability fins on each side of the back of the shoe provide an unparalleled level of braking on technical descents, including on scree, gravel, or loose rock.

Fit

The upper and footbed are pre-shaped around an anatomical last to deliver a precise fit and feel out of the box. It also provides greater midfoot support and heel hold. For those who need it, the C.A.S (Custom Adaptive Shape) system can be applied, further molding the shape of the shoe to an individual’s foot.

As a hiker with more than a few miles on my knees, I’m continuously looking for the lightest boot with lots of cushioning but still with a steady grip on the trail and the rocks. I’m happy to say that right out of the box, the Tecnica MAGMA MID S GTX fit like a glove and felt like I wasn’t even wearing shoes, let alone mid fast hikers. These boots weigh only 14-ounces per shoe which is easily one of the lightest boots I’ve ever owned…but they definitely don’t feel like a lightweight boot where grip and protection are concerned.

Despite not even weighing a pound per boot, the Tecnica MAGMA MID S GTX boots feel firm and protective and they feel a lot like a trail running shoe with even more support and grip. The boots feel really responsive and after wearing them for a few miles, I felt like I could actually wear them to run (on the trails or on the pavement).

As far as fit, the Tecnica MAGMA MID S GTX were pretty amazing right out of the box. The fit is snug and comfortable and they feel secure going uphill or downhill. These boots were great on the flat trails, but they really did shine on the rock scrambles and over rough terrain. As someone who hikes in Pennsylvania, or as the Appalachian Trail Thru Hikers call it, “Rockslyvania” I appreciate a boot with firm grip on rocky and slippery surfaces and a protective sole so I don’t cut a hole open on the sharper rocks. In this regard, the Tecnica MAGMA MID S GTX checked all of the boxes. The boots felt extremely stable in all conditions and even after 60+ miles, the soles and boots are still solid and like-new.Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights the Tecnica MAGMA S MID GTX Hiking Boots (Review)

The soles on the Tecnica MAGMA MID S GTX are a combination of Vibram Litebase and “Megagrip” compound rubber and this combination made for a really secure feel when crossing rocky terrain or scrambling up what used to feel like slippery rocks with my other boots. One of my test hikes had us climbing up some slippery wet rocks next to the waterfalls at Rickett’s Glenn State Park, a location known for being wet and slippery all season long. Once again the Tecnica boots were flawless and felt very safe and secure when when other boots and hikers around me were slipping and sliding. The near constant mist in the glen also gave me a great test of the Gore-Tex liners and I’m happy to report my feet and socks remained dry; and this from a guy with flat feet who’s feet typically sweat through my socks on any long hike.

Overall the Tecnica MAGMA MID S GTX made me feel really light on my feet, but still protected, stable and responsive. In the end I actually completed the 7.2-mile Rickets Glen Falls Trail much faster that I typically do and I definitely attributed that to the light weight and responsive Tecnica boots. I’m happy to report that with close to 70-miles on these boots, they look and feel like they just came out of the box. The soles remain grippy and the uppers are still in one piece despite some rough rock scrambles. The precise fit and adjustability of the lacing make for a really secure and comfortable fit and the overall combination of features make the Tecnica MAGMA MID S GTX a really amazing pair of fast hikers that I know you will love like I do.Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights the Tecnica MAGMA S MID GTX Hiking Boots (Review)

I plan to take the Tecnica MAGMA MID S GTX boots on an upcoming adventure where we’ll be logging about 250-miles in less than 2-weeks, so stay tuned to this post as I update it with my future testing.

In the meantime, get out there and try these boots for yourself…and when you do try them, be sure to let us know what YOU think.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

1 comments (click to read or post):

  1. After using a pair for a year (about 250 total miles), my opinions are: pros: best fit I've ever had in a boot (I had them heat-molded at the dealer). No blisters, no hot spots. Very lightweight. Stable in pretty much anything (wet rock, snow, sand) except snot-mud and ice. The GTX model is reasonably water-resistant, but definitely not waterproof. The laces never untie on their own. Con: the uppers and rands are fragile! I was constantly having to repair divots and peels on the rands with Aquaseal, and after about a year the synthetic upper developed a rip along the rand.
    As they have a two-year warranty, Tecnica offered to exchange them for a 2.0 model (2023) non-S model, which uses a suede (instead of synthetic) upper, as the suede evidently is quite a bit more durable. I'll probably still have to play Aquaseal repair games on the rands, as the rands are still "liquid rubber" (Tecnica's term). Hopefully these will fit as well as the 2022 S-model.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).