WILK Friday BeerBuzz–21 Oct 2011 Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel

WILKFridayBerbuzz14I always like pushing the envelope with tastes and ingredients in our show beers, and today I thought I’d march out the most unusual ingredient that we have perhaps ever tasted in a beer.  Coffee….but this isn’t just any ordinary coffee and this wasn’t just an ordinary beer either.

wilkOur beer today was Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel…an Imperial Oatmeal Stout that is brewed with coffee…but not just any coffee.  This unusual brew uses a “special” coffee called Civet Coffee…and boy is it special.  Regarded as one of the most expensive coffees in the world, this coffee is made from the droppings of a Southeast Asian weasel-like Civet cat.  As the story goes, these animals eat only the best and ripest coffee berries, digest those beans and then the beans are collected from their droppings to make the coffee…and ultimately the beer.

Now don’t get too lost in the story of the bean.  Yes it’s a humorous story, and yes I couldn’t resist featuring it on the show…but keep in mind this is a really good Imperial Oatmeal Stout.  Brewed by gypsy brewer Mikkel Borg Bjergsø (aka Mikkeller), this big 10.9% ABV brew is definitely one you should try for yourself. 

Thanks

to Nancy, John, Joe, and Bosco for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

49 comments (click to read or post):

  1. I spit out my non-weasel coffee when I heard you beer. You guys continue to amaze me with beer. Cheers...Andrew J

    ReplyDelete
  2. No seriously, what's in it?

    It's a hefty ABV and it's a good beer but I can't imagine where this kind of thing gets started. Somebody at some point had to say "I wish I had a cup of coffee but the coffee bush is empty, the cat ate all the beans."

    Still, I enjoyed Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel! Get some at Krugel's Georgetown Deli!

    Thanks Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com and thank you for listening to The Friday BeerBuzz on WILK!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still laughing and gagging a little. Bex

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say this every week, but the show keeps getting better and better. Cheers to Civet poo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm struggling to decide it I want this or not. Do I? Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not for everyone Amy...but I always tell people to keep an open mind. If you didn't know anything about the source of the coffee, you'd never know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to ask. Does it taste like shit? Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  8. No Ryan....no poo-flavoring remains! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had this beer and I love it. I cheer you for being brave enough to bring it on the beer buzzer. Jim PS It's a good beer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Mikkeller beers. Thanks for featuring one. Ray

    ReplyDelete
  11. you guys are scaring me but I can't wait to try it. Cheers John James

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't let this ingredient scare you off. Try it for yourself. This has a ton of coffee in it and as Doug says...no worries...they brewe dthe crap OUT of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I laughed until I pooped coffee beans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did a worker come in and collect the poo Anon?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your show beers have been first class. This one frightens me but I will try it. in fact I cannot wait to try it. I love the show WILK!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mikkeller beers can be odd, but I like Weasel. I wish they'd brew more. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are two more different barrel aged versions coming out Jack and you can still get the regular version. I believe one is Bourbon and one is apple-brandy barel based.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cheers Buzzers. Funny beer and a great show to listen too. I just watched the video and this is a keeper. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't like coffee so why do I want to try this so badly? Eric

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cheers to Boscoe & opo ges the weasel. Very funny, in fact perfect! Rick J

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree Rick....especially the Oops Goes The Weasel music.....Brilliant! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I laughed I cried and this beer became a part of me! Seriously though I do actually like this one. JT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Based on Nancy's reaction I really want to try it. How awful was it Nancy?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Check the video...I can vouch fo rthe fact that Nancy did NOT like it....although she was taking cough drops before hand.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What size is the bottle, does Krugels have it and how much? TJames

    ReplyDelete
  26. TJames....500ml, Yes and I believe it was $17 a bottle...the poo-coffee is expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So why is is a breakfast stout?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just a traditional sort of nickname Anon for beers that have Oatmeal and coffee in them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My husband is afraid to try it. But not me. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  30. I fyou knew nothing about the secret ingredient, you'd never know. It doesn;t taste bad or like dirt. James

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think that beer was a really funny one to do on the show. Cheers to you guys for picking it. And who knew there was a cat poop beer? Arie (Moscow)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I smell another award for the show today. Hello broadcasters association? Did you tune in? Sam

    ReplyDelete
  33. Pop goes the weasel!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hopelessly stuck in my head too Anon!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I knew you would eventually choose this beer. I just knew it. It was perfect for your show. Thanks WILK (Dave)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beer coffee oatmeal and poo. Hmmm not sur eon that one but I will try it. Jeremy Y

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just read the label. Who thinks of these things? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Keep an open mind on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You guys have a great job. How can a normal guy get a job in beer radio?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Practice, practice, practice Anon!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Never a dull moment on the show. Who knew you'd come up with something this funny for a beer show. Cheers WILK. I love the show. Aaron from Dallas.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I started listening to the show last summer and I love it too. It's my favorite part of the week and what a great way to kick off the weekend. The buzz crew are all very funny, the show chemistry is real good, you always make me laugh and you guys always choose a beer that I want to try. What more could we want. Cheeers buzz crew. Just thought you should know. Chris K

    ReplyDelete
  43. And I forgot to say, Yes I'll even try the weasel beer. Chris K

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks Chris. We're definitely having fun doing the show and we appreciate everyone tuning in. Who knew people love beer so much?!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Butternuts, snapperhead and cat-poop-coffee. You guys are killng me. JT

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks JT. I assume you mean "killing" in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  47. The WILK Friday BeerBuzz Rocks once again. Great beer choice too. Keep it rolling buzzers. Armin A

    ReplyDelete
  48. We saw that the Civets were eating only the finest coffee beans, and so we thought, "Why not collect the beans from their sh*t and make coffee and see what their sh*t does to the taste and complexity of the coffee?" We were amazed!
    ..... How does this happen? Next time I see my cat pass something through it's bowels maybe I'll pick it out of the box and serve it up. Who knows??

    ReplyDelete
  49. Not a bad idea....

    Whiskers-Coffee or Morris Coffee!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).