Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights New Belgium Voodoo Ranger 1985 IPA (Review)

Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights New Belgium Voodoo Ranger 1985 IPA (Review)I should admit up front that just over a year ago, I found my way into the Asheville, NC tasting room of New Belgium Brewing.  From my first visit to their Denver Airport facility many years ago to this Asheville visit, I’ve always had a special place in my craft beer-heart for New Belgium; and my visit only reinforced that.  The Asheville facility is beautiful, the location is perfect and the people and beer really made for a very special visit.  With that in mind, I was extremely happy to see a care package arrive from New Belgium at the “stay at home” mybeerbuzz headquarters.

I’ve been lucky enough to sample pretty much every beer coming out of the Voodoo Ranger family of hoppy beers from New Belgium, and I’m excited for my streak to continue with an early peek at this one. The beer is called Voodoo Ranger 1985 IPA and it is an IPA with mango flavor and spice. I should mention up front that this new retro can is not only one of my favorite Voodoo Ranger packages, but also one I think will actually stand out much better in the beer cooler than some of it’s predecessors.  I should also mention the cool promotional tin lunch box (see photos) that New Belgium sent inviting us all to “Go Back To The Future Of Hazy IPAs".”

This latest release in the series marks the 40% increase in the Voodoo Ranger portfolio over last year and the fact that it is now New Belgium’s 5th best selling brand. 1985 IPA beer uses Citra, Simcoe and Cascade hops as well as mango and it literally screams fruit-forward. Of course it helps that I really enjoy mango IPAs and hazy IPAs, so off we go.

New Belgium Adding Voodoo Ranger 1985 IPA

New Belgium Brewing Voodoo Ranger 1985 IPA

ABV:  6.7%
IBU: 30
Style:  Hazy IPA
Packaging:  12oz cans & kegs
Appearance:  Hazy orange golden
Aroma:   Citrus, mango & pineapple
Mouthfeel:   Medium with clean finish
Taste:   Slightly sweet up front with prominent mango, canned pineapple and a moderate bitter but slightly sweet finish.
Overall:  Voodoo Ranger 1985 is a really nice mix of a fruit-forward hazy almost-NEIPA-style beer and a classic New Belgium Voodoo imperial IPA.  The overall balance leans toward hoppy and fruity and the beer finishes clean and it is very drinkable.Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights New Belgium Voodoo Ranger 1985 IPA (Review)

New Belgium Voodoo Ranger 1985 is available now in 12oz cans (and kegs), so get out there and grab one of these righteous dudes (and yes you should drink it as well)…and when you DO try it, be sure to let us know what YOU think.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

0 comments (click to read or post):

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).