Crispin Cider - Bourbon Cask Aged Georgia - A First Taste

image
Thank you to Crispin Cider for sending me an early sample of their new Bourbon Barrel cask aged blended hard cider.  This release is called Georgia and it uses Georgia Peaches, Mint and Tupelo Honey.  This blend begins with a blend of Colfax Classic apple-wine that is aged in American Bourbon barrels.  The cider is then finished with Georgia peaches, “a hint of mint and a kiss of Tupelo honey aged in Bourbon barrels.”

So right out of the gate I know you are probably thinking the same thing I was when I posted this cider originally…MINT?  I’ll admit up front I like my mint limited to my toothpaste and mouthwash, and I’m not a fan of mint ice-cream or mint drinks…but this was very different.

This cider hits you right up front with notes of bourbon and there’s no doubt what this blend was aged in.  The peach and apple flavors really did compliment each other very nicely, and believe it or not, the oak tannins bring a toasty character that actually helps the ending notes of mint make sense.  The mint is there for sure, but it’s not the mint I was expecting and with the soft vanilla flavors that slide in from the barrel aging, the mint works.

I really enjoy peach-based beverages, and of course I’m a fan or bourbon barrel aging so I was really pleased with the blend of those ingredients.  This cider leans a little more to the sweet side of the fence and doesn’t really feel tart at all.  It finishes clean and slightly sticky, but the mouthfeel ends up being refreshing although a little light.  Overall it’s really nicely layered blend of peaches & bourbon and I think you should give it a try for yourself and see what I mean.
.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

0 comments (click to read or post):

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).