WILK Friday BeerBuzz–Canadian Arctic Alchemy Ale w/Chris Bowen

WILKFridayBerbuzz15Back on July 23rd 2010, we welcomed Beau Baden from Fegley’s Brew Works into the studio to bring us a great new beer.  The beer was Arctic Alchemy, a great new brew based on the historic Allsops Arctic Ale.  The beer came with a great story and Beau told us about the upcoming adventure that Chris Bowen, Dick Gethin & John Chay were taking about to undertake.  Along with a film crew, the guys were embarking on a “2000-mile epic motorcycle journey” to the Canadian arctic to recreate the original Allsops Arctic Ale on primitive brewing equipment.

wilkLeap forward 16 months and we were very excited to welcome Chris Bowen into the studio to sample Canadian Arctic Alchemy Ale.  It was a real honor to get to sample some of the actual beer that was brewed in the Canadian Arctic and brought all the way back to PA, and it was well worth the wait!  According to Chris, “this beer followed the regiment of the original Allsops brewing process and has been barrel-aging and dry-hopping for over a year”…and that patience and hand crafting has certainly paid off.
Art by Image Works, Inc

Historically these beers came from the 1850’s, a time when refrigeration didn’t exist, and ships regularly traveled long distances…so they were brewed to survive the long shipboard trips.  The Canadian Arctic Alchemy Ale was brewed big, but loaded with great flavor and complexity.  I swear you can taste not only the history brewed into this beer, but also the amazing journey this special brew has been on.

ChrisBowenCanadienArcticAlchemyBe sure to check out more on the story of Arctic Alchemy on their website and be sure to watch for the upcoming film of their adventure coming soon from Albatross Film Studio.  Also stay tuned for more projects coming from Chris Bowen and his Hammersmith Ales home brewery.

Thanks

to Chris Bowen, Nancy, John, Joe, & Bosco for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

42 comments (click to read or post):

  1. Every time I think you guys have an amazing show, the following week it's even more amazing. I thought last July you were just paying lip service to getting the actual beer brewed in Canada and damn if you didn't do it! I only wish I could taste it. Cheers to an amazing show and cheers to Chris Bowen. Big Fan Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  2. After you did the show with Beau baden I went dwn for the launch of the motorcycle ride and I met Chris Bowen. What a great guy and he really sounded good today. You guys are SO lucky to taste that beer today! Cheers from a jealous fan. And yes I thought there was no way you'd get to sample it on the show like Ryan. Very amazing Chris K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today was a Friday BeerBuzz like no other.

    Our special thanks to Chris Bowen for allowing us the opportunity to taste a beer that even some of those who were on the journey with him to brew it have yet to sample!

    The story is a fascinating one, the journey to the Canadian Arctic to brew it, an adventure, and the beer is a meticulously and artfully brewed historic recreation and is exceptional!

    Thank you Chris and thank you to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com for producing another great Friday BeerBuzz.

    And most of all thank you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a few bottles of Arctic Alchemy at the brewery back in 2010 and I still have two of them. Based on today's show I will open one tonight with my friends and toast Chris Bowen. What an amazing trip, and the beer sounds amazing. And cheers to Bill & WILK for getting Chris on the show to sample it with all of us. Mike (Moosic)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good story and you guys had me at 2000-mile motorcycle ride! My kudos to Chris and a big congratulations to Chris & Beau for the GABF awards too. Rock on WILK. Great guest today!

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your show! I can't believe you guys managed to get the Alchemy that was actually brewed in Canada. You guys are the best in the beer world. I consider myself a major beer geek and I'm gushing over this beer. For those out there that don't get it, this beer was not only brewed in a historical manner in the canadian Arctic, it's been hand tended to for over a year. This is an epic beer people! Cheers and thank you to Chris Bowen & Bill.

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tune in every week but I've never commented. Today's beer was incredible. I love what you feature every week, but this week take sthe cake and makes me compelled to comment. Nice job Bill & WILK! and Cheers to Chris Bowen. Amazing story & Beer you have there. Tim

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did the launch party for Chris & Dick and I think it's a great story you have there. I drank more than a few Brewworks Arctic Ales so I know this one must be amazing. Jack K

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to come on the show and enjoy the beer too. How do I get your job? :)
    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1st class show today. This beer is incredibly rare and I'm not sure if people know how hard it must have been to get it on the show. Cheers WILK and thank you to Chris Bowen for telling such a great story & brewing this cool beer. I only wish I could buy some. Ben

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone. Chris Bowen & I have been communicating for 16 months to work out today's show and it was well worth the effort. Chris brewed an amazing beer, and as I said, you can taste the journey and the history in every sip. This beer is not currently available for sale, but I can tell you it is amazing and getting better and better. Thank you to Chris Bowen for joining us and sharing this amazing brew.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An the brew works beer won a GABF medal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great show. Boscoe was very funny on the music. I like Chris Bowen and you guys mentioned Jim Legg. My life is complete! Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  14. How much did Legg pay you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've actually seen a few clips of the film they made on the way to James Bay and it should be a cool movie. Cheers to Chris Bowen for sharing the adventure!
    John

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cheers to the WILK Beer buzzers. Your show was great today and thank you for remembering our veterans on this day too. Pvt James

    ReplyDelete
  17. You guys are better & better. That beer today sounded incredible and what a great story. Chris Bowen is a great guy. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  18. How do you want payment for mentioning my name Mybeer Buzz? Cash, Check, M.O., Beer? Great Show and I'm Guessing Listening to the Show a Great Beer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I work for free Jim! and it was a great beer that Chris Bowen brewed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great show WILK. I listen every week and I'm really excited to know more about today's beer too. Thom

    ReplyDelete
  21. I listen to Nancy & Webster all week, but I just found that you can comment here. I enjoy the show all week but Friday is my favorite. Tin Foil Tuesday is 2nd, but the Friday beer show is my favorite. You all do a great job setting that show, and the music is always my favorite part, other than the beer. I never tried craft beer until you started the show so now I've tried quite a few. Thank you WILK. Jason

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been on quest to try every show beer. You've stymied me before with some of the rare ones and Mr Beer, but today takes the cake. What an amazing sounding beer. I'm now on a quest to try. Maybe if I get my motorcycle out and ride 2000 miles I'll find me some. Thanks Webster! JJ

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well done. Quite a rare beer you guys tried today too. Ben

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really enjoyable show! Thank you, Brett

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think Chris was a great guest. Cheers to a wonderful project and what sounded like an amazing beer. Jerry J Dallas PA

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beer is good. Duke

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like the video and Chris Bowen was an interesting guest too. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been wondering what happened to this story from last July. Nice follow up. Beer journalism; I love it!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cool show today on the buzz. As a motorcyclist, everyone doesn;t realize how hard it must have been to travel 2000 miles on a bike. Big ups and happy days to Chris Bowen. Alan

    ReplyDelete
  30. The bottle is beautiful Chris! Cheers to a great adventure. JJ

    ReplyDelete
  31. I remember the Brew Works version Beau had and it was a great beer. I can only imagine how amazing Chris' version was.

    AnnE

    ReplyDelete
  32. What an interesting show. You guys consistently take it to a new level. This is a really informative show and not just beer drinking. I give you credit for doing so. Ray T

    ReplyDelete
  33. Chris Bowen was an interesting guest. Thank for having him on.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I wish I could try this beer too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cheers to Chris. What a great beer story too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The bottles look beautiful and authentic. Chris Bowen deserves credit for not only minding the details of the beer, but the bottles as well. Nan

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just watched back the video. I wish I was allowed to sit in on the fun every Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I live a few blocks away from Bethlehem Brewworks and I've met Chris before. He's a really good brewer and I'm happy to see him getting publicity. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'd love to see the movie when they make it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks everyone...I agree. Chris was a great guest and the beer is beyond amazing. The bottles are incredible and his attention to detail is 1st class. We'll certainly follow up with Chris and keep you up to date on the movie as well. You can also check in to http://hammersmithales.com/ or www.arcticalchemy.com as well.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you for all the nice comments, and thanks to the BeerBuzz crew for being such great hosts and ambassadors to the craft beer movement in NEPA.

    For more info, join me on Facebook here for the very latest details on further brewings and updates on my film:
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=244298255627462&id=234658036591484#!/pages/Arctic-Alchemy/197637538644

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).