WILK Friday BeerBuzz - 31 May 2013 Straub Maibock & Amber w/Bill Brock

FBBbeerbuzzbanner_v4
We’ve had some great guests join us on the WILK Friday BeerBuzz…from as far away as Hawaii to just down the road in Plains, but today marked a milestone.  Our guest today traveled further than anyone has so far to join us in the studio to sample  his beers.

Straub Brewery is located in St. Mary’s, PA and while many may know the name, few people know how historic the brewery is.  Opened in 1872, Straub Brewery recently celebrated their 140th anniversary and in the last year they’ve made some really interesting additions to their packaging and beer line-up.  And what better way to learn more about the Straub Brewery and their great beers than to invite Straub Brewery CEO Bill Brock and Brewmaster Vince Assetta into the studio.

It was really interesting to hear the history of the brewery from Bill and how many of the practices and brewing processes started by their founder Peter Straub, are still in place today.  One of my favorites was the tradition Peter started of putting a red band around their wooden kegs as a way of identifying Straub Kegs.  That practice not only continues today with Straub Kegs, but the brewery adopted the color red for much of their marketing materials.

Bill gave us some really cool insight on Straub’s reusable bottles and why they’ve continued that tradition.  He also had a lot to say about the first two All-Malt beers to ever come out of Straub and the direction the brewery will take with them in the future.  Bill gave us some insight on the new Summer Seasonal India Pale Lager coming from Straub this summer and FINALLY someone explained to me the Straub Brewery Eternal Tap! It was also an honor meeting Brewmaster Vince Assetta and getting a chance to sample the new IPL!!
image
Of course we sampled some beer today, and what better way to kick it off than with the new All-Malt Straub Maibock.  This beer is loaded with malt flavor and it has a classic clean German hop finish thanks in part to the Liberty & Mt. Hood hops grown from German Hallertau stock.  We also sampled the classic Straub Amber and talked to Bill about it’s new packaging….the new Straub cans.  I’m excited to see Straub Amber, Light & Lager hitting cans and I suspect we’ll see more.

It was a lot of fun talking beer with Bill & Vince and be sure to get out and try some of their beers for yourself.

Thank you to Bill Brock & Vince Assetta from the Straub Brewery, Nancy, John & Joe for yet another
fun Friday.
The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together. As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.
.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

23 comments (click to read or post):

  1. I love you guys! You finally featured my favorite brewery Straub! I used to live in P'Burgh and I made the ride up all the time. I love their standard lager in returnables. Now I have to hate you all too for getting to taste the new IPL. I can't wait and I second Bill's vote to put it in a can! Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about the cans. I can't wait to see them for myself. I'm going campin in July and that sounds perfect!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great show. I love Straub!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to try the IPL!

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martin..there are special tastings tonight at Krugels & The Arena HOWEVER I don't know if they will be pouring the IPL. It was a rare pouring directly off the tank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you find out there is such a thing as an IPL, it makes getting up in the morning worthwhile!

    Thanks to Straub Beer CEO Bill Brock and to brewmaster Vince Assetta for stopping in this morning on the WILK FBB with Straub Amber, Maibock, and India Pale...Lager! There, I said it! lol

    Thanks too, to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com for another great show and thanks always to you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Straub has always been a favorite and I remember my father and his father also drinking nothing but Straub. great show guys.

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been buying Straub since I was 21 years old. I like the regular old lager.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the beers you all feature on WILK. I plan to hit Krugel's to buy some of the Maibock you mentioned today. That sounded really good.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3rd Generation Straub! Nice job guys!
    Beau

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want an Eternal Tap of Straub. Nice show today. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. 16 Ounce Refillable Bottles. You made my heart skip. I remember my dad dirnking that beer. Cheers to some fond memories of my father's beer. Guess I'll have to get some Straub this weekend.

    CT

    ReplyDelete
  13. I buy Straub Amber all the time. This beer got me started really loving beer. Gary T

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice show today. I'll see you guys later at the sampling. Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to try the Maibock!

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the sounds of that IPL beer. I hope we get to see that at some point. Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the Amber too. My dad drank Straub beer.

    Walt

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't seen the cans yet. Are they out?

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pete they are out but I'm not sure if they are in our area yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. See you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The video is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another good one WILK.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A big thank you to Bill Brock & Vince Assetta from Straub Brewery & everyone at Banko for joining us in the studio today to sample Straub Amber Lager, Straub Maibock and the upcoming Straub IPL!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).