WILK Friday BeerBuzz - 9 Nov 2012 Firestone Walker XVI w/Matt Brynildson

WILKFridayBeerbuzz3
We’ve been setting our sight high and reaching further and further to welcome great brew masters on the WILK Friday BeerBuzz.  We think Northeastern PA deserves to hear from the best in the brewing world and we’ll stop at nothing to bring you great beer-guests on our show.

Of course today was no exception as we reached out to Paso Robles, CA to welcome our guest.  Firestone Walker Brewing has recently entered the PA markets and we’ve recently begun to see their beers available locally, but don’t let that fool you….Firestone Walker is 16-years old!

Firestone Walker opened their doors back in 1996 and have been brewing some really amazing beers.  It’s of course no accident that they not only won the GABF Gold in 2011 for their flagship DBA but they repeated that win again in 2012 with DBA again taking Gold at GABF.  This is no small feat given how hard it can be to win a single medal let alone back to back gold's.

Today I was excited to welcome the man responsible for much of this medal winning brewing and we happily woke up Firestone Walker brewmaster Matt Brynildson to talk beer.  It was a lot of fun catching up on the progress (aka completion) of their new 60bbl Hupman Brewhouse.  If you haven’t seen the pictures yet be sure to get online and check them out.  The new brewery is gorgeous and I’m talking about the amazing building as well as the equipment itself.

 


image
Of course we sampled a beer today with Matt, but not just any beer.  Today we sampled Firestone Walker XVI Sixteenth Anniversary Ale.  Don’t let the 13% ABV of this beer fool you.  This is a really wonderful, flavorful and complex beer…and when I say “complex” I really mean it.  Matt outlined how each year a team of brewers and winemakers converge on Firestone Walker to create their anniversary ale blend.  XVI consists of 226 barrels and 8 different beers (Velvet Merkin, Stickee Monkey, Double DBA, Parabola, PNC, Helldorado, Bravo & Wookey Jack)…and let me tell you it is amazing.  Each sip offers a new and interesting flavor and as the temperature of the beer changes, the flavors became even more complex.  Try this beer if you can and you’ll be as amazed as I was.

Thank you to Matt Brynildson from Firestone Walker Brewing, Nancy, John & Joe for yet another

fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.
.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

34 comments (click to read or post):

  1. XVI is a beer you could spend an evening with. (If you finish one by yourself you'd have little choice!)

    Calling it a blend doesn't do justice to the complexity of it and with each degree in temperature increase it seems like there's something new in the mix!

    A thrill to talk to Matt Brynildson today, thanks Matt!

    Thanks of course to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com for making that happen and making the WILK FBB happen week in and week out!

    And most of all and as always, thanks to you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comments are coming but we already have 75+ spam comments to sort through...working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying for weeks to get a bottle of Firestone Walker XVI and you feature it today! I live in LA and tune in on the web to listen from your website. I've met Matt and he's a cool guy but you're lucky to get some XVI in PA.

    Jealous in SoCal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your list of guests continues to be amazing. I really like Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA and I think the Sixteen sounded amazing too.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. That beer sounded potent and delicious!

    Jer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is XVI available in PA yet?

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob...it was released at the brewery on Nov 3rd so it hasn't hit wide distribution yet. Given the number of barrels & beers it takes to make it, I'm not sure ho much we'll see in PA, but I think we may see some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap was there an earthquake today. The video is shaking all over the place!

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you guys always manage to be the first to get the best beer. WILK rules the beer-premier world.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers to Matt. I love Firestone Walker beer and I can't wait to see them in NEPA. I hope the fact that they were on your show today signals more Firestone Walker for our area. Nice show.

    Max

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love barrel-aged beers and it sounded to me like that's all they brew. I haven't tried any of their beer yet but you certainly have be excited to try some. I'll be in Philly next weekend. Will I see some Firestone Walker beers there?

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dan. Yes you should see Firestone Walker in the Philly area. I know Beer Yard had quite a bit if you're outside the city but I'm sure you'll find it in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I read the blend sheet for Firestone Walker 16 I couldn't believe it. That beer is a blend of 8 different amazing beers. Cheers to Matt for coming into PA to talk with the craft beer scene.

    Jedo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Union Jack IPA. I'm amazed you guys got XVI on the east coast. Nice job Bill and thank you Matt for coming on the craft beer show we all listen to. Jen (Jackson)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every week you manage to bring us the best of the best. Cheers to Matt. I can't wait to see more Firestone Walker barrel brews coming to PA.

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw the credits in your video. I love the Verteego productions and Oliver Derode. Nice job John! Igs

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am now hooked on your beer show WILK. I thought it was just another silly segment but I looked at your guest list when I watched the video. I saw you won awards for the show and I really have to commend the obvious hard work you put into that segment. I don't know much about beer but I love the show and I do know Jim Koch and some of your other guests too. I'll be spending the weekend backtracking your video.

    Marvelus Marv

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want more Firestone Walker beer in NEPA. Who do we have to complain to?

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eric. A good place to start is your local craft beer distributors and bottle shops.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm convinced you have brought us another of the best beers on the WILK beer buzz. I called in today but messed up. I'll try next week since I wanted to compliment Bill and John on the beer choices.

    Tom
    PS Bring Back Philly Pale Ale!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks everyone...and we owe Matt Brynildson from Firestone Walker a BIG thank you for joining us today on the show. I too look forward to seeing more and more Firestone Walker in our market and we really enjoyed the XVI.

    ReplyDelete
  22. great show guys.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really enjoy Webster and Nancy and while I don't have much opportunity to listen to anyone else on WILK, I do think the beer buzz is becoming my favorite segment; and I think that I'm probably not alone in thinking that. Thank you for some stress-free fun at the end of the week, especially THIS week. Cheers! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jan said it best. The beer buzz is welcome relief to the political bickering and horse beating that sometimes takes place the rest of the day on WILK. People should start taking the beer buzz more seriously as a contender best show of the week.

    Ray J

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think it's nice that you can all relax and have fun on a Friday morning on WILK. That's how it should be. Save the jousting and complaining for Mondays. Sam K

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not sure if people grasp how cool it was to have Matt from Firestone Walker on as a guest today. Their stuff is 1st class and Matt is a busy guy. Nice!

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  27. I smell Ratings!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Matt Brynildson rocks. Nice show. I shall pop a Firestone Walker XV in your honor tonight.

    Ken Ara

    ReplyDelete
  29. I ready your post on the blend sheet for Firestone Walker XVI. Astounding how they make that all work. Cheers to Matt.\

    J/T

    ReplyDelete
  30. XVI will not be easy to get in PA, at least not in NEPA.

    Amy (Mobil)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have a trade going for 4 bottles of XVI. Nice to see the beerbuzz beat me to it.

    Baran

    ReplyDelete
  32. The WILK beer buzz ALWAYS get's the best beers first! Sorry Baran. Thom

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love you guys! (and the beer).

    ReplyDelete
  34. WOW my friends just texted me that you did Firestone Walker XVI Anniversary and you had Matt Brynildson on too. Nice catch Bill.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).