WILK Friday BeerBuzz - 7 Sept 2012 - Stone 16 w/Mitch Steele

WILKFridayBeerbuzz3
We’ve welcomed some pretty special guests on the Friday BeerBuzz….from as far away as Hawaii, to just down the street, our guests have been generous and simply a lot of fun to drink a beer with….BUT…none have gone to the lengths to join us as consistently as today’s guest has and none have been more fun each time.

Today we politely asked our pal Mitch Steele to wake up at 5:30AM once again to join us on the Friday BeerBuzz from California for the 3rd time…and once again he happily joined us!  Mitch sampled Stone 14 with us in 2010, Stone 15, in 2011 and in case you didn’t guess yet…..today’s beer was Stone 16…but first…

I was excited today to wish Mitch Steele congratulations for the upcoming release of his book…”IPA: BREWING TECHNIQUES, RECIPES AND THE EVOLUTION OF INDIA PALE ALE “  I haven’t had a chance to get my hands on a copy yet, but I’m really looking forward to checking it out.  I’ve been following along for several years as Mitch pieced together this IPA compendium, and I know how hard he’s worked to get it out so I can’t wait to see it for myself.  Congratulations on he book Mitch and of course congratulations to everyone at Stone on their 16th Anniversary.

On to the beer….Stone 16 is not only a wonderful beer, but also a tribute to the 16th Anniversary of Stone Brewing Co.   Each year Mitch joins with the team at Stone to craft a new anniversary beer, and each year it seems to get better and better.
image
Stone 16 is a unique anniversary beer…and a very unique DIPA.  Not only is this beer loaded with citrusy notes of Peach, Mango and tropical fruit, but Mitch and the team have introduced a new ingredient that I think is perfect for an IPA….Lemon.  Now you would think they would simply add Lemon to the mix…but no sir…Stone 16 uses Lemon Verbena….an herb grown at the Stone Farms that as Greg says is “more lemon than lemon.”  Stone 16 is not only a team effort of brewing talent at Stone, but also a team effort of unique ingredients and flavors.  Try Stone 16 for yourself and you’ll see what I mean.

It was also a ton of fun talking to Mitch about the growth and expansion of Stone Brewing.  It’s been a few years since my last visit, and I suspect the Stone Brewery will continue to grow even more before I get a chance to visit again.  And of course we asked Mitch about the new Stone “Enjoy By 09.21.12” and what this means not only to the craft beer world, but also to the Northeastern PA market.  We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again…if you want to see Stone “Enjoy By” in NEPA…make some Twitter & Facebook noise!

One additional GREAT update from Mitch…when I asked about what Stone Vertical Epic 12-12-12 might be…Mitch simply replied “Think Belgian Christmas!”….so stay tuned for more info on the final release of the Stone Vertical Epic series.

Thank you to Mitch Steele from Stone Brewing Co

, Nancy, John & Joe for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

54 comments (click to read or post):

  1. I love Stone beers and I love IPA's so from the Department of Redundancy Department, I love Stone 16th Anniversary IPA!

    Mitch Steele has been on our show three times now and I'm always excited to talk to him because, A) Mitch Steele, B)He's an excellent guest and fun to talk to always, and C)Beer rock star!

    Get some Stone 16th Anniversary IPA!

    Thanks Mitch, thanks Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com, and thanks to you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again to Mitch Steele for joining us today to sample Stone 16 IPA. This is a great anniversary ale so be sure to check it out before it's gone...and a big thank you to Mitch for waking up early in Cali to join us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was a really special show today. I didn't realize Mitch Steel had been on three times so I'll have to go back and watch his other shows. Nice job. I'm anxious to try Stone 16.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried this bee Friday and it is really good. I was expecting a lemon bomb but it was really nicely balanced. Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stone is my favorite!

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am moderating as fast as I can...lots more comments coming!@

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be buying this today. I don;t think I had last years but I loved 14 when you did it. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. If Mitch Steele is willing to get up 3-Times at 5AM for the Friday Beer Buzz then you guys rule beer in NEPA. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the buzzers!

    CT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bus Trip 10/20 CHECK!

    I'm In. Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just watched back some of your older video and you guy just get better and better. Having a quality brewery on like Stone, and having their brewmaster willing to wake up early to talk to you speaks well for craft beer in Pennsylvania. I listen on-line but I'd love to hear you in the car if possible. I'm in Allentown and I'm actually late for work every Friday so I can hear you at home on the computer. Boost up your signal so we can hear you down here before i lose my job! Jason

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your do-over today! Nice save on the camera and very funny too. Gerd (Trucksville)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic show and congratulations on hitting 1-Million hits on mybeerbuzz.com Nice job Bil!

    Warren

    I love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never miss a show. I still try to buy every beer you feature so I cannot wait to try Stone 16! Hal (Moosic, PA]]

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a craft beer lover and I actually have my own beer blog. I won't plug it here but I have to admit after reading back on your WILK shows and your blog I have two questions. 1) How do you get such great guests to join you on the show, and 2) when do you sleep?

    Seriously I think what you have done for craft beer in Northeastern PA is such a great thing. I love that you feature everything from a beer-god like Mitch Steele to our local homebrewers.

    I'd love to meet you all sometime and buy you a beer. Cheers Merrit J

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Merrit and feel free to plug your beer blog. To answer you questions 1) We ask and 2) No.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did I catch two breaking Stone beer stories today?

    Nice job Bil!!

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Rick...yes we did. First up we broke some news of "The Perfect Crime" a Stone/Stillwater/Evil Twin co Brewed dark smokey saison AND that Stone 12.12.12 would be a Belgian Style Holiday ale. For that we thank Mitch!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoa I just caught that on the video! I think you guys are first to give up Stone 12.12.12. Nice job WILK!

    Gerard

    ReplyDelete
  20. Northeastern PA is becoming a big beer market and you guys have made that happen. Thank you and I agree...WOW 12.12.12!

    Jed Kram

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like the Stone labels and i think you guys have done a great job bringing guests into PA. Craft beer is big here now. Ron W

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your video credits are the best, I laugh every time. TJ

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks everyone and thank you JT but credit for the credits goes completely to Webster.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think we need to take this show on the road. How about a Fox 56 TV version?
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like the lemon verbena in this beer. You didn't mention it on the show but this beer is 10% ABV! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. How can I get paid to do your jobs?

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes Stone 16 is 10% ABV Mary...and Ian as soon as I figure it out I'll let you know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bus trip details please. Warren

    ReplyDelete
  29. We're still working out the bus trip details. Suffice to say you should save Oct 20th on your calendar and join our text club by texting "beer" to 99404. text club members will get first shot at tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just joined it now!

    Warren

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stone 16 is one of the best. I wish we were able to try their Enjoy By but maybe the next one...Come on Mitch!!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another good one. I like how you mix fun, with beer news and I always laugh. A recipe for beer success for sure. JanT

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mitch has a great job, but I like that he's willing to wake up early to talk to the beer people in PA. Nice job WILK. Livery

    ReplyDelete
  34. I live in Philadelphia and I agree that you need to boost up the power of WILK. Your beer show is WAY better than anything we have down here. I'm on-line with you guys every Friday morning and I actually have to use headphones at work instead of being late. Keep up the good beer. Fred from Conshy.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Best part: I can just tell you guys love beer. Cheers to Mitch.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Stopped in to Krugels Georgetown Deli today and bought some Stone 16 and sampled some good beers with lunch too. God thing I have the afternoon off. That place is amazing! Mark

    ReplyDelete
  37. Stone 16 rules.!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Can I be the first official Beer Buzz groupie? I love you guys. Kristen from Pittston

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think you're the first to ask Kristen...so I'd say that's a yes.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hey, Webster here again...and just a reminder, especially for Jason in Allentown and Fred in Conshohocken.

    First, thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoy the show! Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com does the hard part putting the show together. We just turn on the mics and fill the glasses!

    I don't think the radio station will be doing much in the way of a super transmitter anytime soon BUT if you have an iPhone or other 'i' device there is a WILK app on the iPhone App Store. Just search WILK.

    And if you have an Android phone, download TuneIn from the Play Store and find us there!

    Then we're good to go!

    Thanks again all and a great weekend, you!

    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Stone 16 officially in my cooler now. Thanks for the heads up. This beer sounded great. Cheers Mitch!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks John....and yes you CAN also get WILK on your mobile device!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi John Webster! Your credits at the end of the video each week are brilliant. I love your sense of beer humor too. Cheers I'll buy you a beer sometime. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm a Arrogant Bastard drinker and I blame it for me loving good beer. Nice to hear Mitch again on the show and WILK has a winner here. Ray

    ReplyDelete
  45. I tune in all week when I can Webster but I never miss a Friday. I love the Morning News on TV too. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  46. Three appearances by Mitch Steele and three Stone anniversary beers. I sense a patter here. Looking forward to 17 already. Matt

    ReplyDelete
  47. Right you are Matt...and we're looking forward to 17 as well. Mitch has really been great to the WILK Friday BeerBuzz and we owe him a big thank you (and multiple beers when we cross paths)! Stone makes some amazing beers...and just a reminder to everyone out there....MAKE SOME NOISE on Facebook & Twitter (@StoneGreg, @StoneBrewingCo) that Northeastern PA WANTS the next "Enjoy By" IPA release from Stone!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I went on the last bus trip with WILK and I can't wait for this upcoming one. Please keep us updated. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  49. You bet Jen....we're working out some details so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Your video rules!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Where are the video?

    ReplyDelete
  52. The video of our shows can be found on wilknewsradio.com, as well as fridaybeerbuzz.com or by using the Fridaybeerbuzz link at the top right on the mybeerbuzz.com page.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).