WILK Friday BeerBuzz–9 Dec 2011 Rogue Santa’s Private Reserve w/Brett Joyce

WILKFridayBerbuzz15Back in Oct 2010 we were lucky enough to have Sebbie Buhler from Rogue Ales join us on the Friday BeerBuzz to sample the beer that carries her image on the label, Chocolate Stout.  It was a very special show, and a wonderful beer. 

Back when Mrs. BeerBuzz & I were first dating, the very first beer we shared was a Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, and it was no surprise to anyone that for our wedding, we had a custom labeled Rogue beer for our guests….so as you can see Rogue is a very special brewery for me personally.

Leap forward to 2011 and I was absolutely committed to getting another Rogue beer and guest on our show, and what a wonderful combination to feature:  Rogue Santa’s Private Reserve, and Brett Joyce, President of Rogue Ales.

wilkSanta’s Private Reserve is what I would certainly term a non-traditional holiday ale.  Anyone familiar with the St Rogue Red that Santa’s Private Reserve is based on will know it is decidedly hoppy; in fact is is a double dry-hopped version of St Rogue Red.  I also think it is funny to note that brewmaster John Maier uses a mystery hop called “Rudolph” in Santa’s Private Reserve, and even Brett was sworn to secrecy.

Brett is a great spokesman for Rogue Ales and I think that comes from his background at Rogue.  Brett’s father Jack Joyce was driving force in the creation of Rogue Ales in 1988, and Brett has been with the brewery for a long time, starting out washing kegs and working his way to become their president.  It was very exciting to talk to Brett not just about our beer of the day, but also some of the other ventures Rogue has undertaken from distilling to micro-barley malting.  I was a big fan of Rogue Ales over 15 years ago, and that fondness for their craft continues today.

Thanks

to Brett Joyce from Rogue Ales, Nancy, John & Joe for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

50 comments (click to read or post):

  1. I love Rogue Beer. I haven't trie dthis one but I'll be sure ot get some at Krugels today for lunch.

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect choice for a holiday beer. Nice job WILK. Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. They don't hide the hops in this one and it's got Santa on the label? The best of both worlds for the holidays!

    I think the secret is the Rudolph Hop and the Free Range Coastal Water!!

    Thanks to Brett Joyce, the president of Rogue for being on the show this morning and thanks as always to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com for landing the interview!

    And certainly thank you to all who listen to the WILK Friday BeerBuzz!

    Don't forget, a special 'over-extended' HOUR-LONG holiday edition of the FBB on Saturday, 11am on WILK, 103.1FM, online at www.wilknewsradio.com!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one mentioned that the snowflakes glow on the label! Great beer Bill.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in 1994 I was lucky enough to meet Brett's dad Jack out in Newport. He was a great guy and took the time to sit and talk with me, and I swear he started my passion for craft beers. Brett sounds a lot like his dad and I'm still buying mostly Rogue beer today, in fact I just bought Private Reserve yesterday. Excellent beer choice once again and a fantastic guest. Ray R

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you guys just helped me figure out what to give my brother for Xmas. Cheers to Rogue. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. A hoppy beer for the holidays. Leave it to you guys to bring me a beer I know I'm going to love. Cheers buzzers. Eric

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good show WILK. First time I tuned in and I love it. Do you post the older shows anywhere? Jason

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone. Jason we post all of our show video at wilknewsradio.com (Friday beerbuzz link on the left) or fridaybeerbuzz.com. And thank you to Brett Joyce, President of Rogue for joining us on the air today to sample Rogue Santa's Private Reserve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are somtimes gift packs of this beer with a special glass. I can't remember if I've seen them so far this year, but I've bought them and received them as gifts in the past and they are nice. Ang

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a favorite beer of mine so it was cool hearing from Brett Joyce. Get out and try this one and Chocolate Stout and Mogul Ale from Rogue too. Andy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Santa clause IS coming to town. Nice music choice, I just wish Santa's Private Reserve was coming to my refridgerator. Don J (Benton)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice show guys. Boy you are bringing in some great guests. I have to go back and look, but I think you've had a guest almost every week! Very cools how and beer today too. I thought Brett was a great guest to talk about one of my favorite beers. Cheers to Brett & Rogue Ken

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you're doing holiday beers in Dec. You're giving me some great ideas for gifts for my beer nerd friends! Cheers to that and to being able to get them at Georgetown too. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that Bill knows these secrect beer facts. Brett even seemed surprised to hear that you guys knew about the secret hop called Rudolph. Great stuff Bill and I'm anxious to see that again on video. John KK

    ReplyDelete
  16. You guys start my weekend off right every time. What a great way to beging a Friday! Love you Webster and the beer buzz is so fun!
    Ari

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't really like hoppy, but this beer I like. Now I'll have to try it again because you describe it as hoppy and I didn;t think I liked hoppy. I think I have my hoppy confused.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chris...sometimes beers taste like citrusy-hoppy and sometimes they are piney-hoppy. Today's beer was piney-hoppy...so yes do try it again and do try some of the others we have also described as a piney-hoppy too. I think you're on to something Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I knew you guys would eventually feature my favorite xmas beer. I waited last year for Rogue and now you nailed it and how cool was that to get to hear from their President too. A+ Buzzers! Del

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice show guys

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rogue was my first craft beer. Cheers to you guys and Brett Joyce for featuring it on the show. I like Chocolate Stout and Mocha Porter too. Chris K

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can;t believe how many details I learn about a beer I already thought I knew. I've been drinking this for years and didn't know most of what you talked about today. I liked hearing Brett describe the beer too. Great show WILK. Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  23. Me too Bruce! I think the beers and guests we get to hear each week are amazing. I never knew about Rudolph Hops before today and I've been drinkgin Santa's Private Reserve for many years. Cheers to WILK is right. Chris Hammer

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm a big listerer of Nancy & Webster and my favorite show is the friday beer buzz. I wasn't what you would call a craft beer guy a year ago, but now I've listened to every show, some even twice and I buy great beer all the time. I think what people are hitting on here is that you get us excited about these beers, you all deliver great beer info and somehow manage to make it all fun. I don't know all of your guests, but each one including Brett today have been great, and I think it speaks well for how good the WILK beer show is if these guys are willing to wake up that early to chat about beer. Nice Job to Bill & everyone there at WILK. This is a TV-worth show. Keith

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Keith. The fun you hear is legit...we all have a great time doing the show and I always appreciate that you all tune in! Thanks for commenting, the best part about the show is getting to hear from all of our local craft beer lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ditto to what Keith said!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree. Keith could not have said it better. You guys do a great job and deserve an award too. Cheers to great beer and you guys for bringing it to us. Kerry K

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cheers buzz team!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Rogue makes some of the most innovative beers, and I think it's no surprise that you had them on the show twice too. I love the show. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey! I tune in every week and just found the comment here. I like that people are saying what I'm thinking. I love the show and I always go buy your beer of the week if I can find it. I also thank the guys up at Krugels for being so patient with me, and they always know the name of the show beer too. Thank you all. Kris in Dallas.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Webster here again and I mentioned our 'special 'over-extended' HOUR-LONG holiday edition of the FBB on Saturday, 11am on WILK, 103.1FM, online at www.wilknewsradio.com' in a previous post...

    ...BUT I DIDN'T MENTION THE DATE! Duh.

    It airs Saturday, 12/24 (yes, Christmas Eve) at 11am on WILK 103.1FM, online at www.wilknewsradio.com!

    Probably again on Monday, 12/26 at 11am AND one more time, Saturday 12/31 (New Year's Eve), again at 11am.

    Thanks!
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Excellent show. Just enjoyed the video of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow I could not agree more with what Keith said. Great show as always and I cannot wait for the holiday show too. Marcus.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have the day off today so I just enjoyed the Rogue Private Reserve for lunch and I like it a LOT! My wife and I hit Georgetown for lunch. Great place too. We took some home for Sat night too. Thank you buzzers. Darren

    ReplyDelete
  35. You guys have the best jobs in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've visited Rogue ale house in Oregon and it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey I love the video of the who. You guys DO have too much fun. Cheers. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  38. I volunteer my services to the show as a taster!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I never gave this beer the time of day until you had it on today. I bought a six pack at lunch and I really like it. I was expecting something completely different but this is a great beer. Thanks WILK.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Rudolph Hops Shhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  41. You guys have too much fun. Bob J

    ReplyDelete
  42. I listen to the show every week and just decided to check out the video for the first time. I love it! I didn't realize what you all looked like and I really enjoyed watching the show again. Very cool. Keep it up buzzers. Cheers Rory (Scranton, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I just looked at your past guest list and it's amazing. You guys should be on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I wis they made this beer year round. Bob J

    ReplyDelete
  45. Rogue Santa's Private Reserve is a dry-hopped version of their St Rogue Red Ale so you sort of can get this beer year round.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Cool. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I buy Rogue Chocolate Stout at Dugans all the time. They always have it in stock and it is maybe my absolute favorite beer. I just wish I could try it on tap sometime too. Cheers. Ben JA

    ReplyDelete
  48. I practically grew up (post-21) on Rogue Shakespeare Stout. They have always been one of my favorite breweries. Thank you for having Brett Joyce on today. I see I'm not alone in loving the friday buzz and Rogue. Cheers to Brett & the Rogue in all of us! Stan

    ReplyDelete
  49. Santas Reserve and Chocolate Stout are both amazing on tap. Thanks Rogue for the great beers all these year.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I'm a big fan of Rogue so it was personally very exciting for me to feature Santa's Private Reserve with Brett Joyce (as well as Chocolate Stout with Sebbie Buhler). Mrs BeerBuzz & I met over a Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, and also had a custom labeled Rogue beer for our wedding, so Rogue holds a special place in my craft-beer-heart. Thanks to everyone for the great comments and thank you to Brett for joining us today on the show. Santa's Private Reserve is a great beer and one you should all try for yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).