WILK Friday BeerBuzz–3 Feb 2012 Sixpoint Resin DIPA w/Shane Welch

WILKFridayBeerbuzz4Every week we welcome a great guest on the Friday BeerBuzz and every week I’m amazed at how passionate our guests are about not only their own beer, but also about craft beer in general.

Back in December I crossed paths with today’s guest in Northeastern PA and after talking for only 5-minutes, I knew he’d be a great guest.  Shane Welch is the President of Sixpoint Craft Ales in Brooklyn and a great spokesman for craft beer.  Earlier that day I had just published 15+ NEW Sixpoint keg label approvals, and I joked with Shane asking if they were all actually real beers or just placeholders for a future brew.  I should have known better!  Of course they were all real and of course there were even more beers to follow that week.

It was great talking to Shane about the origins of Sixpoint Craft Ales, and about the originals of their six-pointed star logo.  Who knew that the 6-point star was a early mark for craftsmanship in brewing?  I think it’s a perfect fit AND a great story.

image
The Friday BeerBuzz crew are all professional hoppy-beer lovers…so it was an easy choice when we were choosing a Sixpoint beer.  Sixpoint Resin DIPA is brand spanking new and at 9.1%ABV & 103 IBU it is right up our alley.  Loaded with classic hops like Columbus, Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade, & Chinook; Resin tastes just like it’s name BUT it has a decidedly malty backbone which is pleasant and rare for a DIPA.  Packed with resinous hops and loaded with great malty flavor…it has a wonderful balance.  Resin is one of new Brewmaster Jan Matysiak first brews at Sixpoint and I think it came out great.  It’s also interesting that Resin is packaged in 12oz skinny-tall cans.  It’s a great package and holds JUST the right amount of beer, especially for such a big beer.

Sixpoint Craft Ales will soon be imported into PA so stay tuned AND try this one for yourself.  

Thanks

to Shane Welch from Sixpoint Craft Ales, Nancy, John, & Joe for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

50 comments (click to read or post):

  1. I'm really anxious to try Resin. How was it?

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea how was it?

    KK

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was really good. It's what I would call almost a British-style DIPA (I think I'm probably inventing this style) because of the malty backbone typically not present in a DIPA. Very nice beer for sure and I love the package.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great show guys. You keep getting the best and newest beers. Cheers to Shane!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job buzzers. I loved Sixpoint Diesel.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for bringing us another great brewer.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm heading out to the tasting event tonight with Shane. I'm looking forward to trying Resin and I loved Diesel. Cheers Shane.

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  8. After that music I was wondering who your guest would be. and I loved the Hendrix music. Rock on Shane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are they releasing Resin into PA?

    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can we get this at Krugels?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sixpoint is coming to NEPA soon. They are currently in Allentown and scheduled to be in NEPA soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice show. I can't wait to try this one. How cool was that can?

    Harry

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was a very cool can. I like the size and shape and I think you'll see more and more like it very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We listen every week. Nice show again today. I really liked Shane.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to try this beer. Shane sounds like he knows what he's doing & brewing.



    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wasn't a big fan of Autumnation so I'll give this one a try. JJ

    ReplyDelete
  17. The packaging looks great. I read the stuff about calling it a tallboy and I think people are being silly. Call it whatever you like and enjoy the beer inside. Cheers Shane!

    Sue J

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jimi Hendrix joins the Friday BeerBuzz! Great music and I loved the beer today. Perfect name for a hoppy DIPA. Steve

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are these beers coming out of Lion Brewery?

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes JJ...some of Sixpoint's beers are coming out of our very own Lion Brewery. Most are being brewed in Brooklyn, NY @ Sixpoint

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cool. I love their local connection. I can't wait until they are selling Resin up here in NEPA. JJ

    ReplyDelete
  22. I met Shane a few weeks ago and he's a really nice guy. I think we're only hearing the beginning of Sixpoint in the craft beer world. Brian J

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like an IPA so it stands to reason I'm gonna love a Double IPA! Thanks to Shane Welch and Sixpoint Craft Ales for making 'Resin'! Love the resinous story behind the name too. What? You didn't hear the story? It's all in the video! Click the link here on MyBeerBuzz.com or at wilknewsradio.com!

    Thanks Shane, thanks Bil from MyBeerBuzz.com, thanks to to The Joe Thomas, Rusty 'Cecil Beer deMille' Fender and to you for listening to the WILK Friday Beer Buzz!

    Superbowl weekend, 'da Bears' is so futile but with the Bears I'm used to futile! lol

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't realize there were different can sizes. Nice show. Thanks to Shane @ 6-Point

    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm tuning in from Allentown and this appears to be a perfect Superbowl beer. Heading out to find some now. Len C

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have me intrigued to try this beer. Cheers Shane.

    Chris K (Moosic)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved Diesel. I'm all over this one. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  28. Me too. I thought Diesel really was a unique beer and this Resin seems to be the same. Looking for it tonight! Steve

    ReplyDelete
  29. Perfect Music buzzerS!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Anon....actually the song was Shane's idea and the delivery by The Joe Thomas was perfect. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm picturing trying out a Resin and jamming to some Hendrix! Nice. Now I just have to get some Resin. TJ

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good job guys. I love what you're doing for craft beer in NE-PA.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I buy Sixpoint in Allentown and Emmaus too. It's good stuff. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  34. I read on your site about Shane's new brewmaster Jan. I think this will be great for Sixpoint. If this is his first beer, we're going to see some great beers coming from Sixpoint too. Eric R

    ReplyDelete
  35. I saw your pictures on Facebook. The can looks great. All too often 16 or 22 ounces of a Double IPA is too much. This looks perfect, and you can always have a 2nd on too :)

    Rob (Dallas, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sixpoint has an interesting website too. Cheers Shane!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Do they do brewery tours?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Shanbe does a LOT of events but I don't think they're setup quite yet for tours.

    http://sixpoint.com/connect.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. I know the neighborhood and Shane was dead on. Very funny guy. Cheers Shane


    Joe K

    ReplyDelete
  40. Tasted Resin DIPA last night. It's a really unique beer. Some may think it's not a DIPA because of the malt flavor but I like it.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  41. This beer is different (in a good way) from a traditional west-coast DIPA. I liked it and I agree that Jan & Shane have something unique here.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Odd looking can. Seems like not enough beer. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  43. Don't get too tangled up in the can...try the beer. I like the 12oz can and I think it will work well. It keeps the portio AND price right and it's simply COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you to Shane Welch from Sixpoint Craft Ales for joining us today and for sharing his great new Sixpoint Resin DIPA. We had a great time and the beer was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  45. My pleasure to be on the show Bil. I definitely will come back again. cheers, Shane

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks Shane...you have a winner in Resin DIPA and we'd love to have you back again.

    ReplyDelete
  47. a 4-pack of 12oz beers for the cost of a six-pack is NOT a "right" price.

    ReplyDelete
  48. We talked about the size/price & ABV on the show. I don't think it's a bad deal given the ingredients that go into this beer...but to each his/her own. There are plenty of choices if it's not worth the $ to you.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).