WILK Friday BeerBuzz–10 Feb 2012 16-Mile Brewing Responders Ale w/Claus Hagelman

WILKFridayBerbuzz8Week after week the Friday BeerBuzz brings you great new beers and exciting new breweries.  I’m always amazed at just how many great craft-beer people we get to meet; how they always have a great story to tell and of course a great beer to share.

Today we welcomed Claus Hagelman from 16-Mile Brewing on the show.  For those unfamiliar, 16-Mile is an up and coming brewery in Georgetown DE and Claus is 16-Mile’s Sales & Marketing Director…and I should add…a great guest.

While 16-Mile is new to Northeastern PA, they are doing really well in their existing markets and already expanding the brewery.  Claus helped open their new tavern at the end of January and the brewery itself is doubling in size.  This should allow them to grow from their current 15bbl system and 30bbl fermenters, and I expect we’ll see some new beers as well.

While many that know 16-Mile remember them for their original 22oz aluminum bottle packaging, they have now switched to the more traditional 12oz bottles and it was fun talking to Claus and even more fun sampling their beers.
image


Claus told us the story of his Responders Ale and I think it’s fantastic to see that $3 from every case and $5 from every keg is donated to the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation….especially in a state where the fire departments are 90% volunteer (including their state capital.)  This is a VERY sessionable 4% ABV American Golden Ale with lots of flavor and a crisp clean finish.  It was also exciting to sample the non-traditional Old Court Dark Pale Ale.  This beer is pretty unique and the hoppy/malty balance is very pleasing and a flavor profile you should definitely check out.

It was a lot of fun sampling 16-Mile brews with Claus and be sure to get out and try these for yourself. 

Thank you to Claus Hagelman from 16-Mile Brewing

, Nancy, John, & Joe for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

35 comments (click to read or post):

  1. Great show guys. I'll be shcecking out 16-Mil today when I visit Krugels for lunch. Do they have it? Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul. Yes Krugels has some of the 16-Mil beers. Responders Ale is coming in March so they won't have that one just yet, but very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're heading down to visit my brother in Delaware next weekend so I'll definitely try to stop in to Georgetown and visit the brewpub. Thanks again to WILK for turning us on to a new brewery. You guys always pick the best beers. AJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers to Claus. It was nice to hear you on the best beer show going. I'll have to try out Sixteen Mile but thanks to everyone at WILK for bringing it to our attention. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a chance to try the Old Court Ale and I really liked it. Now you have me thinking I should visit the brewery too. My daughter is in school in DE and Georgetown isn;t too far away. I'll stop in and say Hi Claus. Cheers to 16-Mile. Rob K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Responders Ale is a great session beer and has a wonderful charitable back story as well. Once it's available locally, buy it for the enjoyment and know it benefits the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation.

    Of the two beers we tried my favorite though was the Old Court Dark Pale Ale! Hoppy (yes!) and a little bit malty too, excellent beer from 16 Mile.

    Thanks to Claus Hagelman for being on the show. As always thanks to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com and most of all thanks to you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are always right about great beer. Old Court Ale sounds right up my alley and I think the missus will like Responders Ale. Cheers Claus! Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to live in Georgetown, DE and just moved up here. I visited 16-Mile last fall & was SO surprised to hear them on your show today. Rock on WILK & 16-Mile. Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are great. Nice beer today too. I tried it a few months ago at Krugels. Ken J

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear the news about Bavarian barbarian and Brewker's zoning hearing but thank you for the local beer news. I'm anxious to try 16-Mil too. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great guest! Thanks Friday Beer Buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Claus knows his stuff. What a great spokesman for a brewery like 16-Mile. Thanks Claus!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Claus. I'll be trying your beer this weekend. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've tried two of sixteen mile's beers and liked them both. Didn't they used to be in a funny aluminum bottle? Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  15. Correct Marcus. 16-Mile used to package in aluminum bottles. They are now packaging in the more traditional 12-oz glass bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love dthe story of how the name came about and you have ot love Sixteen Mile's support of volunteer firefighters. Cheers and thanks to Claus! Eric G

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice show guys!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad they made the switch. I think the original aluminum bottles made them seem more like a macro Budweiser kind of beer. I'll check out Old Court Ale. I think that sounded good.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheers Claus! I love your beer. Mark L (Hazleton, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your show. I get to laugh, I learn about beer and you always bring me yet another great brewery to try. Win Win Win! Artie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved the show today. Claus was a great guest.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like 16-Mile but haven't had the responders ale yet. but I will.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Two more good brews from the WILK Beer Buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brewery in a barn. I love it. I'll have to go visit 16-Mile. I looked up Georgetown DE and it's not terribly far away. Thanks WILK. Marty Ma

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm not sure I got the music but I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Responders Ale benefots firefighters. That's a great gesture from 16-Mil and I thank them for that. I have 4 firefighters in my family and I'll be buying this beer for that reason alone. I'm pretty sure if you guys liked it it's also reallly good too. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree with Mary. A great way to support our firefighters. Cheers Claus!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A great brewery. I've been there. Dave

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry to hear about Mike Hiller but you guys ALWAYS seem to know everything going on in our local beer market. Cheers to that and thanks to Claus for coming on your show. I'll have to try 16-Mile out. Barry K

    ReplyDelete
  30. Try Old Court guys. It's a really good balanced darker pale ale. I can't wait until we see more of it up here and I can buy a case but it's a great beer. Dave (Dallas, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  31. You always start my Fridays off right. Cheers Buzzers & Claus too. I'll try out 16-Mile.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks everyone and a big thank you to Claus Hagelman and everyone at 16-Mile Brewery for joining us today on the show. We really enjoyed getting the first PA samples of Responders Ale and we think it is wonderful what 16-Mil it doing to benefit firefighters. Old COurt Ale was a great play on another unique style (Dark Pale Ale) and we think you guys really have two winners here. Thanks Claus...please send out best to Brett

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really enjoy listening to your show and I always love the movie you make each week. Thanks again WILK. I know we say it every week but the show is great. Martin

    ReplyDelete
  34. HEY I just checked out the last few videos of the show including todays and I love th endings. I didn't realize you were adding funny stuff to the credits at the end. I'm still laughing at todays. I'm anxious to try Responders Ale too. Alan

    ReplyDelete
  35. John has been doing our post-production of the show video and I too am in stitches every time I see them. Very funny credits at the end!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).