WILK Friday BeerBuzz–11 Mar 2011 Guinness Draught & Guinness Foreign Extra

WILKFridayBerbuzz7As we head into the traditional St Patrick’s Day celebration and parade weekend in Wilkes-Barre & Scranton, I wanted to choose a beer to pay homage to our Irish ancestors.  There are a wide variety of Irish beers and a wide range or Irish beer styles, but one and only one beer comes to mind when you mention Ireland and St Patrick’s Day….and that beer is Guinness.

DSCF0001In the name of full disclosure, I should say that I have visited the St James Gate brewery in Dublin and I’m a huge fan of Guinness.  I spent a week in Dublin exploring the city and more importantly, exploring their pub culture, and Guinness is at the heart of that culture.  Rising out of the center of Dublin, just south of the Liffey River is the St James Gate Guinness brewery & storehouse.  A massive 7-story tall brewery, museum, visitor’s center and pub (or should I say pubs).  At the top of the storehouse is the highest bar in Dublin called the Gravity Bar.  This all glass (including the floor) pub is to this day my absolute favorite place to enjoy a pint in Dublin.

Guiness3Today I chose the traditional Guinness Draught in the 14.9oz widget can.  To my taste this packaging comes closest to the draught version of Guinness.  In fine BeerBuzz fashion, I decided to bring in another curveball…and also sample Guinness Foreign Extra Stout.  This is one of Guinness’ newest AND most historical brews, with it’s roots dating back over 200 years.  The two brews are decidedly different and extremely tasty…so be sure to sample one (or more) of each for yourself.

A quick shout out to Joe Thomas, LA Tarone & Karel Zubris for filling in while Nancy & Webster are cruising the Caribbean.  You guys not only made today’s show easy, but also a lot of fun.

Thanks
to  Joe, LA Tarone, Karel & Bosco for yet another fun Friday. 
The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together
As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE
.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

23 comments (click to read or post):

  1. I wasn;t sure what to expect with no Webster or Nancy today, but you guys did a great job. I like it when you have fun on the show and it sounded like fun today.

    Cheers & Happy St Patricks day everyone.
    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Guinness and now I want to try on in Ireland. Is it that much better?

    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. TJ. Quite simply Yes it is a LOT better in Ireland. I originally thought it was only an environmental thing (i.e. it just tasted better because I was sitting in a pub in Ireland) but it IS better. I'm going back in June to confirm (purely for scientific purposes) so I'll report back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice beer. One of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect choice of beers for St Patricks Weekend.

    Thanks Bill. I forgot just how good Guinness was.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice show guys and loved the Bartels mention!
    Jason P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visited Ireland and never got to the Guinness brewery so I'm totally jealous. But I can vouch that Guinness in Ireland is much better that the US version and the US version is brewed under license as you said in Canada.

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  8. I expected more from you for St Patricks day. Guinness?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Anon...sometimes there's nothing better than a classic brew like Guinness to celebrate St Patricks Day. Yes there are many choices but nothing says Ireland like Guinness.

    I stand by my choices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice photo. I'd love to see Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should mention that photo was AFTER staying awake all night on a 7-hour + flight, a 45-min taxi ride, a 1 hour check-in at our hotel and a 20 min walk to the Guinness Storehouse (our first stop on the trip). If I look a little delirious, I AM!

    As I said it is still one of my favorite places to have a pint in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Regular Guinness is sort of ho humm and I really don't like Foreign Extra. But it is St pats weekend so why not. I grant you a beer-pass, but just for one week please.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep an open mind Anon....just as we expose people new to craft beer to crazy double-IPA's, I think it's important to expose people to traditional beers like Guinness. There are close to 20 varieties of Guinness around the world, and even experienced craft beer lovers usually haven't even tried 3.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree. OK it's a fair choice, just not my favorite. I do appreciate the inside info you brought from actually going to Guinness brewery in Dublin. I'd love to visit and while the beer may not excite me so much, you DO have me excited to plan a trip to Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Guinness is my go-to beer when I hit a bar that doesn't have a great selection. It's also my end of the night brew when I don;t want a lot of hop or alchohol. Of course you hit it head on for St Pats weekend. This is an underrated stout that people should try.

    Steve W

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy St Patricks Day. You guys did pretty good without Webster.

    Chris (Dallas)

    ReplyDelete
  17. 125 calories in a beer. Not bad. I loved your comparison to skim milk too. Good beer facts beer guy!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  18. Guinness has had advertising campaigns revolving around their health claims, and while I'm no doctor and I'm not naive enough to think beer is better than skim milk, I do think there is room for a good craft beer in everyone's diet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll be sure to have a pint at Dugan's tonight in your honor.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good show and happy sailing to Webster & Nancy!

    ROy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lee Botschaner11 March, 2011 13:34

    Beer-educated friends and I did a blind taste in Ireland between Guiness and beamish and, as I suspected, Beamish came out on top. Didnt prevent most of our group from continuing to drink Guiness, though. Personally, I'll take Guiness WITOUT the nitrogen, as in bottle, and the way it used to be prior to the 60's

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting Lee. Actually I'll take ANY irish beer IN Ireland versus the same beer here.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).