WILK Friday BeerBuzz–14 Jan 2011 (Ommegang Hennepin)

WILKFridayBeerbuzz4
Back in Aug 2010, the Friday BeerBuzz team helped me sample a beer that has become one of our all-time favorite show beers.  This beer was called Three Philosophers and it came to us from Brewery Ommegang in Cooperstown, NY…so I was very excited today to not only sample another Ommegang beer, but also to welcome their Brewmaster Phil Leinhart on to the show.  Phil is not only a part of the team that is responsible for the great brews coming out of Ommegang, but he also has some local roots.  Many moons ago Phil Leinhart was actually an Assistant Brewmaster for our very own Lion Brewery (as well as brewing at AB, Paulaner and Harpoon).

I think it’s always fun to have a great guest on the show, but when you pair that guest up with a great beer, it’s even more fun.  Today Phil helped us sample Ommegang Hennepin.  This is the first Saison/Farmhouse style beer we’ve sampled on the show and considering it’s one of my favorite styles, I’m amazed we waited so long.  Hennepin is a classic Saison with fresh citrusy hops, traditional Belgian yeast flavors and a subtle peppery finish.  A great beer and a great guest to be sure.  Phil also gave us the inside scoop on the brewery renovations going on at Ommegang and the upcoming release of the D’Achouffe/Ommegang co-brewed Gnomegang—coming in April…so stay tuned here for more details.

Be sure to try Ommegang Hennepin for yourself! 
Thanks
to  Phil,  John, Nancy (we miss you), Karel (thank you for filming today), Joe (Happy Birthday) & Bosco for yet another fun Friday. 
The Friday Beerbuzz…bringing good beers and good people together
As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday Beerbuzz page by clicking HERE
.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

34 comments (click to read or post):

  1. Cool show and I really was amazed to hear Phil. I love Ommegangs beers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Phil downplaying his so-called "rock star" status in the world of craft beer.

    Can't wait to try the Gnomegang too!

    Another fun show with an excellent guest and the excellent beer that he makes, as always...nice job Bill!

    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brewery Ommegang has always been a favorite brewery of mine. I'm planning to drink my Hennepin and Kup O Kyndness this weekend in honor of your special guest today. I was amazined to hear Phil Leinhart on the show and I thank you for getting him to appear. I think Phil is an under rated brewer and I really do wish Ommegang would consider a brewpub in NEPA, so thank you for asking. Great show! And what a guest! Cheers to Phil and the Friday BeerBuzz!

    Marty M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Marty and Anon and a special thank you to Phil for taking the time to be on the show today. I too think Phil and the guys at Ommegang are brewing some 1st class beers and Three Philosophers continues to be a show favorite...and yes we too hope they'll consider opening a Ommegang Brewpub in NEPA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are amazing. What a great guest and fantastic beer. And who knew Phil had local roots in our area. I always learn when I listen to the show. Great beer facts and a fantastic beer choice for people to try. Rock on buzzers!
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ommegang has a unique philosophy (bottle conditioned Belgian beers brewed in the US) and their stuf is great. And thanks for breaking the Gnomegang news. I'll be watching for that one now.

    Jason P

    ReplyDelete
  7. mybeerbuzz has become quite the website now. I see label approvals and local news and a great show now on WILK too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Anon. Yes...1st and foremost we're trying to feature local beer news, but I also realize our audience has gorwn beyond the borders of PA, because many of our great beers come from other states. With that in mind we're posting out national and international beer-news AND your first look at new beers hitting the market....so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A+ show. As usual I'm sending my husband to Krugel's at lunch to pick up some Hennepin.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love Three Phils based on your recomendation so I can't wait to try Hennepin. In fact I think I'll get some of the other Ommegang beers too. You guys have been spot on for beer choices and I thank you.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saisons cover a wide variety of flavors, but this is a great choice for a Saison. Classic!

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool show. Of course I'll try this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for putting a voice on the brewmaster of some of my favorite beer, Ommegang. Phil is a rock star in this world and leave it to you guys to find out he brewed locally at the Lion. Thank you Phil. Hopefully you do visit NEPA and see how much we'd love a Ommegang pub.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  14. I learn something new every Friday. I liked Ommegang beers, but now I love 3Philosophers and I officially love all of their beers know that I know Phil used to live locally. Thank you Phil!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Friday beer buzz is great for our local beer market. You show us great beer and you get some of the best brewmasters out there like Phil Leinmhart today. I'm glad we not only get tot alk to Phil, but also that Phil gets an idea how big our craft beer market is. Great job and thank you to Phil for coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Homerun!

    Phil Leinhart & Ommegang Hennepin on the same show was a homerun.

    John (Alden)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like Hennepin already, but I've never heard from their brew master. Very nice show.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our best to Nancy! and thank you for another Friday beerbuzz. I look forward all week to this show and you never dissapoint.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks everyone. It was very nice to have Phil Leinhart on and we'll do our best to get him back again. Phil brews some amazing beer, and Ommegang just gets better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You do get the best guests for beer lovers. Phil Leinhart is a great brewer. It's also nice how you do the show. For someone that's not yet into beer, you present some great beers and make them all approachable enough that even if I didn't know how great a guest Phil is as a brewer, I'd still be interested in his beer because of your show. Guess that's why I tune in every week.

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with Tyler. I'm really new to beer and I've been listening to your show for only a month or so. I'm embarassed to admit I didn't know who Phil was, but you guys make the beer so interesting to me that I want to try it. Phil was a great guest and you really make me want to try his beer.

    Jake (Dallas, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks guys. Above all else, we want to expose you to new beers, and not just any beer, but great beers. Hennepin is a classig Saison and a style that many new and experienced beer lovers end up making a favorite. Stay tuned for more, and thanks again to Phil for brewing such a great beer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not a regular WILK listener. I like John but I tend to listen to NPR most of the day, at least in the morning. I'm a reader of your site but this is my first comment. I just wanted to let you guys know I havent missed an episode of the friday beer buzz. I love the show and you really get me excited to try new beer. Wine gives me a headache, and beer was always just lousy. I now have tried all but 4 or 5 show beers and I'm now the beer expert with my friends. Just a quick thank you for such a great show and for helping me find some really good beers to not only drink, but appreciate also. Cheers fbb!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  24. So when can we all get together again at Krugels for a beer??

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you Lee...and thanks for taking the time to comment. We do want everyone to find and appreciate the great variety of craft beer we have in NEPA...and it's exciting to hear new beer lovers coming on board. Cheers.

    Jim...I'm sure we'll do an appearance again so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Phil Leinhart is a great brewer so it was fun to hear from him. Thank for getting him on.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Be sure to try Phil's Witte and Rare Vos too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. ooooo and their Abbey Ale is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. A+ and Phil was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hennepin is really underrated and not very well know but a fantastic beer. Leave it to the beer buzzers to point out such a gem!

    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank for the always good beer advice buzzers :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello All-
    Thank You so much for the kind comments. I have very fond memories of The Lion Brewery and Wilkes-Barre. If you're ever in this area please stop in. Our new Ommegang Cafe here at the brewery will be opening in about a month.

    Cheers-
    Phil Leinhart
    Brewery Ommegang

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great start to the weekend! I was real excited to hear from Phil Leinhart. He's a brewing hero to me and you guys just brought him into my living room. Cheers Bill, John & Joe...I owe you guys an Ommegang.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you Phil. It was a pleasure having you on and we look forward to having you back sometime soon...and please keep us in mind when Ommegang is looking to expand into new BrewPub markets.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).