Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Labatt Blue Citra (Review)


Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Labatt Blue Citra
As a resident of the northeast, I regularly saw Labatt Blue and Blue Light at parties and backyard bar-b-ques.  The beers were really familiar and really common to see in our distributors…so it was with a fair amount of surprise that I came across the Labatt beer we’ll be sampling today.

Labatt Blue Citra is what Labatt calls “a new Labatt experience,” and after tasting it I think you’ll see why.  To my recollection, this is the first really hoppy version of Labatt Blue lager and perhaps what you’ll call Labatt’s first IPL (India-style pale lager).  The beer is brewed with Citra hops (of course) as well as Mosaic hops and pale malt.  Labatt Blue Citra hits a sessionable 4.7%-AbV and Labatt tells me the beer is “priced in line with Labatt’s flagship beers.”  After 2-years of development and 13 test batches by Labatt Brew House Brewmaster Ryan Brady, Labatt landed on the combination in the beer sitting in front of me…and naturally I’m anxious to try it, so off we go.
Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Labatt Blue Citra

Labatt Blue Citra pours a familiar golden color, but there's a decidedly citrus hop aroma that you can’t miss.  I definitely found some family aroma & flavor resemblance to Labatt Blue lager, but the Citra hops definitely shine in this beer.  I was pleased to find the drinkability of the original Blue, but with a prominent hoppy bite at the end.  The balance of this beer makes if satisfying and refreshing without tipping completely into IPL-hoppy territory.  The beer feels and tastes juicy and citrusy but it isn’t a hop bomb.  Blue Citra finishes with the same lager crispness you’re used to and I can see this being a really good gateway beer for a traditional Labatt Blue Drinker to the hoppier-side of the beer fence.

Overall I really enjoyed the Labatt Blue familiarity I found in this beer but with the new Citra-twist.  The beer is really drinkable and I do agree that it was a new Labatt experience for me.  Labatt Blue Citra is currently available in 12-ounce, 16-ounce and 24-ounce cans so get out there and try it for yourself…and when you do…be sure to let us know what YOU think.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

0 comments (click to read or post):

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).