Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Top Note New Grapefruit Soda, Ginger Beer, Classic Tonic & Indian Tonic Mixers (Review)

Mybeebruzz .com Highlights Top Note New Grapefruit Soda, Ginger Beer, Classic Tonic & Indian Tonic MixersYou know I love a good cocktail, and after loving hoppy beers for so long, it should be no surprise that I also love grapefruit.  With that in mind, I was excited to get a chance to try out a new Non-Alcoholic sparkling mixer from Top Note.
Top Note is a Milwaukee-based craft beverage company that creates it’s sparkling mixers and aromatic tonics at Octopi Brewing. in Waunakee, WI.  With the announcement of their new Grapefruit Soda, I was excited to get an early taste…so off we go.
First off, the Grapefruit Soda by itself looks and tastes really great.  If you remember the old Squirt soda, you’d only be part way to Top Note.  This grapefruit soda has a really fresh grapefruit flavor and just the right amount of carbonation.  The grapefruit tastes real and the color makes it really enticing.
I’d be perfectly happy to just drink the soda by itself, but Top Note was nice enough to provide some Radler recipes.  I started with their Radler # 3 and it called for 6oz of a low-hopped pilsner (I used Troegs Sunshine Pils) and 4oz of the new grapefruit soda with fresh grapefruit for garnish.
Radler # 3 was really good and just bursting with grapefruit flavors.  The pilsner blend was well balanced and I really liked what the Top Note grapefruit soda brought to the mix.
Up next I tried Radler # 4 which included 6oz of an NE-style IPA (I used one of the new New Belgium VooDoo Ranger NEIPA’s) and I added in 4oz of grapefruit soda.  This combination was even better.  The fruit-forward NEIPA really played nicely with the grapefruit soda and the overall combination was better than either part individually.  I’m not a huge Radler fan, but I’d definitely make this one again.
Finally I decided to get fancy and make the Top Note Dolly Dolly.  The recipe is below and the result was delicious.  I did use fresh Cilantro and the combination of grapefruit flavors with the Mezcal and cilantro really complimented the fresh grapefruit garnish.image
DOLLY DOLLY
1/2 cup packed cilantro
2 oz Mezcal
8 oz Top Note Grapefruit Soda
Cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
thinly sliced grapefruit, for garnish (optional)

Makes 2 cocktails
In a cocktail shaker, muddle cilantro, 1 oz Top Note Grapefruit Soda, and Mezcal. Close and shake with ice for 20 seconds. Strain into a glass with ice and top with Top Note Grapefruit Soda. Garnish
Top Note was also kind enough to send along a Ginger Beer that we turned into what has to be one of the best Moscow Mules I’ve ever tried.  The quality of the Ginger Beer really made a difference in the overall drink and it will be hard to go back to a typical ginger beer moving forward  The ginger tastes fresh and the mule was really good. 
I also managed to try out a really fun side-by-side comparison for a Gin & Tonic using both Top Note Classic Tonic Water and Top Note Indian Tonic Water.  The Classic Tonic Water made for the classic G&T you’d expect with some really prominent lime notes to compliment the Hendrick’s Gin.  The flavors of the tonic water once again really took the cocktail to a new level and once again it will be hard to go back to a regular tonic water.  The Indian Tonic Water Gin & Tonic was much more floral-forward with a really nicely balanced almost herbal presence and a late hit of oranges and lemons.  I think I liked the Indian Tonic Water a bit better than the classic, but both tonics really elevated the simple Gin & Tonic cocktail to a new level.
In the end I think Radler # 4 was my favorite, but the other blends and cocktails were really good, and I’ll admit I really liked the Top Note Grapefruit Soda on it’s own.  Be sure to try all of the Top Note mixers for yourself in mixed drinks as well as straight.  When you do try them, be sure to let us know what YOU think.




About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

0 comments (click to read or post):

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).