The Best Way To Build a Mixed 6-Pack Of Beer

The Best Way To Build a Mixed 6-Pack Of BeerBefore you even say it; YES I’m aware that buying a mixed 6-pack of beer isn’t rocket science…however…I’m also aware of how many questions I get in my inbox asking what the best way to buy a mixed 6-pack is.

With the proliferation of grocery stores and bottle shops now offering mixed 6-packs (especially in the PA markets), I was surprised what I was witnessing in the mixed 6-pack aisle.  I was also surprised at how crowded that section always seems to be and how confused people seem to be when shopping.  The people I encounter look like a deer in the headlights, sometimes with an empty 6-pack carrier and sometimes with that one last beer to choose.

I’ve listened to debate after debate as people try to decide which six beers to pull out and what is the best way to approach their choices.  With that in mind I always suggest that people decide what their goal is and keep that in mind as they shop.

What is your mixed 6-pack goal?

This should be a relatively easy question to answer but I’ll throw out a few that I usually witness:

  1. I want to try new beers that I’ve never tasted; before I buy a larger quantity of that same beer.
  2. I want to buy a specific style but not all the same specific beer.
  3. I’m going to a party and I want a variety of things to satisfy multiple tastes.
  4. I want to get a cheaper price than buying the full 6-pack of the same beer.
  5. My wife is shopping and I’m bored.

Personally reason number 1 is my go-to goal.  I look through the selection and intentionally try to NOT buy any beer I’ve ever had before.  In my opinion this is the best use for a mixed 6-pack.  I don’t always limit my choices to a particular style, but typically my mixed 6-pack is all hoppy beers that I’ve never tried before.  If you find a beer you love, then next time you can buy a case or 6-pack with confidence that you’ll like the beer.  If you find a beer you dislike, then be happy you didn’t buy a case of it before tasting it.

If you’re going to a party, then there are lots of things to consider.  What do your friends usually like, do you want to go with the same-old beer or surprise them with something new, what season is the party (summer, winter, fall), is it indoor or outdoor?  All of these things can play into your choices.  For example if it is an outdoor summer party, maybe choose cans of perhaps lighter styles with lower alcohol levels and a variety of styles.  If it’s a dessert party, maybe choose some sweeter or stronger beers to compliment the food.

If you’re looking for a cheaper price on beer by building a mixed 6-pack you’ll need to do a bit of research first.  Yes there are lots of times where a more expensive beer will end up in the mixed 6-pack aisle, and yes you may be able to build a bargain.  I’ve done this and filled the entire 6-pack with one beer that was a much better deal than buying the solid six pack of the same beer.  I will tell you this is rare, but yes you may find one or two bottles available for cheaper, but very rarely many more….and yes in the end, the price for all 6 bottles will probably average out to be roughly the same anyway.  This can be a lot of work and it does suck some of the fun out of the experience, at least for me,

If your significant other is shopping for groceries and you’re bored, then take your time and really have fun with it.  I’m usually a ninja in the mixed 6-pack aisle because I am exposed to a LOT of beer, but if you’re killing time, there’s no better time than now to learn a bit about the beers and really take your time choosing.  Read the labels, look for beers you’ve never seen before, and look for beers with interesting ingredients or unusual styles.  Have fun.

The Pitfalls of Mixed 6-Packs.

While it’s usually all good in the mixed 6-pack aisle, there are some things to watch for.  First off, don’t get too locked into picking the perfect six beers to the point that no one else can pick theirs.  You can always buy two mixed 6-packs and you will likely be back to pick again in the future so don’t dominate or block the aisle.

Check Dates:  This is my pet peeve with beer and it’s even more applicable in the mixed 6-pack section.  Some beers, OK MANY beers end up in the mixed section because of age.  This is a reality of beer distribution and it’s not necessarily a bad thing depending on what you’re buying.

If, like me, you’re buying hoppy beers, then you NEED to check dates.  Hoppy beers get questionable after a few months (2 or 3 for my taste buds) and very questionable after 6 months.  Dates will appear on the bottom of most cans and the neck of most bottles.  Some are codes and some are actual dates (either “Packaged On” or “Best By”).  Most (not all) Best By dates are 6-months from packaged dates.  In very general terms, always try to choose fresh beer unless you KNOW it is a beer that ages well.

If you can’t understand the code, can’t find the date or the beer is old, DON’T BUY IT!  The exception here is that higher alcohol beers, many dark beers, most barrel-aged beers and lots of non-hoppy beers will be good for years.  A brewery making it difficult to find their date information is not helping the consumer and how will you know if you dislike their beer because it’s old or you just dislike the beer.

Look at the beer if you can.  Even if you know very little about beer, a beer with lots of visible floaters will not likely be at it’s best and not likely a beer you will love.  YES there are exceptions and yes there are styles where this is OK, but in very general terms, look for a beer that doesn’t look questionable.

Check the prices:  Some of the beer sections may have a variety of mixed 6-pack prices, but most are a standard flat price for the 6-pack,  This can be a deal or maybe not a deal.  In one of our shops, the mixed 6-pack is $11.99 but the beer you’re focusing on may only be $9.99 for a solid 6-pack.  DO a bit of price-homework when you’re shopping, or at least be aware of the pricing before you get to the register.

I can tell you that even with my knowledge of which beers are new and fresh and which are maybe not, I HAVE ended up with some pretty awful mixed 6-packs.  Sometimes the beer was simply old and not at it’s best, and sometimes I just didn’t like the beer.  This is not a bad thing, but it’s not always fun ending up with beers you don’t end up liking…BUT…at least you learn that before you buy a case of a beer you don’t like.

Summary:

I encourage people to try new beers.  I’m constantly preaching that my opinion and taste for beer is not likely to be your taste for beer.  If you’re learning about beer, or focused on a style, the Mixed 6-Pack section can be your friend.  Take your time and have fun with the process, and DO take the time to check dates.  It is VERY likely that when a beer is in the Mixed section that it may be old already.  This is not always the case, but it is worth noting.  Pick some beers and styles you may not otherwise think you like and sample some new beers hitting the market.

No matter what your goals and no matter what you ultimately do and do not like, the Mixed 6-Pack is always a learning experience and usually a lot of fun.  This has been my experience in the mixed 6-pack aisle, but be sure to let us know what YOU think.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

0 comments (click to read or post):

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).