Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Allagash Brett IPA

Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Allagash Brett IPAI like funky beers and yes I really like IPAs…but sometimes the two don’t always go together.  Fortunately for me (and all of you) today’s combination has to be not only one of my favorite Brett beers, but also a really good IPA.

We’re sampling Allagash Brewing Brett IPA and I was very happy to see it return for a 2nd year (and return to my ‘fridge).  The beer is brewed with Cascade, Amarillo, Citra, Centennial and Galaxy hops, and I swear Allagash has a brettanomyces magical wand that they wave over the wort before fermentation.  Brett IPA is actually based on the theory that early IPA shipping barrels would actually be inoculated with wild brettanomyces yeast during their travels; so Allagash decided why not try to intentionally add brett to an IPA…and they did.  The resulting beer is one of my favorites from this category so off we go.Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Allagash Brett IPA

Allagash Brett IPA pours a slightly more hazy light-straw color than a typical IPA, and yes the aromas scream fruit, funk and hops.  I get a little barnyard funk in the nose with just a touch of over-ripe fruit (this is a good thing)  I really like fruit-forward hops, and this beer really pushes that fruity presence to a new level.  The tropical fruit flavors work really well with the brettanomyces and the funky presence is what I would call moderate and not something that would put off someone that isn’t a funky-fan.  Overall the fruit and brett flavors balance well with each other and the melon/mango/peach/apricot hop flavors really make for a nice mix.  Brett IPA achieves a delicate and really drinkable mix of flavors that I really enjoy and I can’t even begin to describe how well it pairs with a mild Manchego cheese (be sure to try this pairing).

Allagash Brett IPA has to be one of my favorite funky IPAs and I think you’ll find it a really nice fruit-forward wild yeast beer even if you don’t love funky OR hoppy beers.  The beer is available now in 12oz bottles so get out there and try some for yourself…and when you do, be sure to tell us what YOU think.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

0 comments (click to read or post):

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).