WILK Friday BeerBuzz - 26 Oct 2012 Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale w/Dale Katechis

WILKFridayBerbuzz12
As you may or may not have noticed, we tend to have a lot of fun on the WILK Friday BeerBuzz.  Each week we sample some great beers, we talk “craft beer” and best of all, we make new friends.

Today on the show we welcomed a guest that I’ve been excited to meet since the beginning of the show.  It’s no secret that Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale is one of my favorite beers, and it’s one beer that always has a full-time space in my refrigerator.  So you may be asking why it has taken over two years for us to feature it on the show…and the answer is simple.  I decided long ago there was only one way to feature Dale’s Pale Ale; with Dale himself!  So today we finally did it.



Dale Katechis co-founded Oskar Blues Brewery in 2002 & right from the start he faced an uphill battle.  You see Oskar Blues was launched on the premise that all of their beers would be canned instead of bottles…and in 2002 this was a revolutionary idea.  Dale had to not only sell the beer itself, but sell people on he idea that cans were a better package.  It was a lot of fun talking to Dale about the “can packaging,” why it is a better package and how far it has come in just 10-years.  Case in point are the Oskar Blues / Sun King co-Brewed re-sealable bottle-cans and better yet the new Royal Pint 19.2oz Dale’s Pale Ale Can.
image
We had a great time tasting Dale’s Pale Ale with Dale himself.  This beer is a classic hop-forward Pale Ale with a big grapefruity-hoppy nose and a wonderful clean easy-drinking finish.  They call it a “Rocky Mountain Pale Ale” but I like to call it “one of my favorite “hoppy-gateway” beers.  If I had a beer for every time I’ve converted someone who thought they didn’t like hoppy beers to a hop-head using Dale’s Pale, I’d have a cellar full of beers.  People simply always just love this beer.

It was also very cool getting an update on the upcoming Brevard NC Oskar Blues facility from Dale.  This new brewery should mean even more Oskar Blues beers into our market and better yet…even FRESHER Oskar Blues beers into our bellies.

If you haven’t already tried Dale’s Pale Ale or any of the great Oskar Blues beers, do so now.  Trust me, you’ll thank me later.
FridaybeerbuzzHalloween2012a

Thank you to Dale Katechis from Oskar Blues, Nancy, John & Joe for yet another

fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.
.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

40 comments (click to read or post):

  1. A thrill to have Dale Katechis, a craft beer superstar, on the WILK Friday Beer Buzz this morning. Thanks Dale!

    And thanks to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com for his dogged pursuit of Dale. It was worth the wait!

    Dale's Pale Ale? My kinda beer. Not technically an IPA but at 65 IBU's, right up my kegerator!

    Thanks again Dale, thanks Bill, and special thanks to Danielle from Happy Faces (www.happyhappyfaces.com) for your amazing artistic ability and making this show a Halloween classic!

    And of course, thanks to you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just wait until you see the video from today's show. Thank you to Dale Katechis for waking up early to join us on the Halloween show and thank you to Danielle for the fantastic face painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The comment moderation is coming soon...stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you hit my favorite brewery and brewer. I love love love Dale's Pale Ale!

    Marcus

    Cheers to Dale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I currently have 3 cases of Dales at my house. Nice show and great guest! Oskar Blues Rules!!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew you'd eventually feature this amazing beer. and it was really cool to hear the guy the beer is named after. Going up to buy a sixer now.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn you guys do a great job. That sounded like too much fun and the costumes too.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a great beer. I buy Dales Pale Ale all the time and I wasn't aware they were coming to North Carolina or making bigger cans too.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just saw your costumes! Wow, very cool. I love the video.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa Nancy costume!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys had a great guest today. I love Dale's Pale Ale.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lied in Colorado about 7 years ago and had friends in Longmont, CO. Oskar Blues was a regular stop for us and we love Dale's Pale Ale. Nice job WILK. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your face painting was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you...check out all of Danielle's face art at

    happyhappyfaces.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. It will be great when they start brewing in Brevard NC. More beer for PA. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK you convinced me. I just bought a six pack @ lunch. I'll try Dale's Pale Ale tonight. Ron

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cheers to Dale. I think all of your beer is very good and I love the cans.

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  18. We take Dale's Pale Ale camping all the time. It's a perfect beer for outdoor activity and a great all-around Pale Ale. You chose well Bill.

    Thom

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think having Dale himself on to feature Dale's Pale Ale was perfect. I wish I could have seen the costumes in person. Nice job guys!

    Epic Beer Guy

    ReplyDelete
  20. When will we see the 19oz cans in PA?

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ray:

    19.2oz cans of Dale's Pale Ale are available now in Colorado and a few other markets. PA will not see them until early 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice job on the makeup! I like Nancy's costume.

    Cheerio

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with Dale. 19 ounces of Dales Pale = Booya!

    Steve H

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think you finally featured my favorite hoppy beer. I follow the show and I went back thinking you had already done Dale's Pale Ale, but alas you didn't. Nice show.

    JepK

    ReplyDelete
  25. We did feature Oskar Blues GUBNA many moons ago but Dale's Pale Ale premiered today!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stellar Show today guys. How did you get John Candy to come back form Spaceballs to be on with you? NickT

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your Halloween shows.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  28. As much as I liked Nancy's costume I think the two-face thing was really good. I just saw the photos on facebook too and you all look great.

    Jed

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Bill. In my opinion Dale's Pale Ale should be called an IPA. I mean I really like it but it's not a Pale Ale. I'm OK with the can thing but it's an IPA. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sam if you heard what Dale Katechis said, he wants to push the style-boundaries with every one of his beer so I think it's a good fit. Call it whatever you like, it's still a great beer. Have you tried GUBNA yet?

    ReplyDelete
  31. What is GUBNA?

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  32. GUBNA is Oskar Blues' Imperial IPA. It's 100 IBU, 10% ABV and yes it's still in a 12oz can. It's one of my favorite IIPAs too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I look for it. And don't get me wrong I really do enjoy Dale's Pale Ale.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really like your video. Cheers Dale! Eric

    ReplyDelete
  35. You guys are consistently great. I tune in every week and I laugh the whole time. You continue to ramp up the guests too. WILK deserves the awards for this show. Cheers. Dan D

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've seen all three Halloween shows and todays was the best. I liked the one you did with Terry Hawbaker better, but today's costumes were way better! Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  37. I know how hard you all work on the Friday beer buzz show. Good news is it shows. I listen every week and my weekends and I watch the video on Saturday nights. Keep it up. We'll raise a Dale's Pale in your honor Saturday.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ditto that Sarah. I'm a big fan of the show and the bus trip seemed like it was really fun too. Count me in next time if I can get on the bus. Dan

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm sure we'll do another bus trip ( or two) in the future. We're talking about it already and yes we'd like to be able to take more people too. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  40. For me your show is always a learning experience. I'm new to good beer and I do try to buy and taste every one you suggest. Based on the comments, I'm missing out by not trying Dale's Pale Ale. I plan to buy some later tonight and I will report back. I really liked all of the IPAs you have ha don the show. Thank you again WILK! Dunbar (Pittston)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).