WILK Friday BeerBuzz - 28 Sep 2012 Spaten Oktoberfest

WILKFridayBerbuzz8It’s not often that I find myself acting traditional.  For me some traditions are meant to be honored, and some are meant to be questioned.  This philosophy certainly holds true for the WILK Friday BeerBuzz and especially for my beer choices.  Think back to when I chose to feature a big Belgian Dark Ale in mid-summer, and flash back just one week when I decided to feature an ale from a brewery known for lagers.  Tradition in the beer world is sometimes meant to be stretched, and I’m the guy to stretch it.

With that said, it is with a profound sense of confusion that I announce today is different.  Not only did I choose to feature a beer style that is meant for this very week, but also a brewery that carries with it a significant tradition for this very style of beer.

Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock or you’re currently too busy drinking in Munich, you know that Oktoberfest started in Munich on Saturday and will continue on for the next 16 days.  With that in mind, take a guess what style beer I chose to feature….go ahead…I’ll wait.
image
OK time’s up!  Today I chose to feature a traditional Oktoberfest beer and it comes from the brewery that claims to have brewed the World’s First Oktoberfest beer….Spaten!

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu comes to us from Munich, Germany and the name actually means “Spade” as you can see in their logo…and it’s not just a spade but a malt spade.  The brewery dates back to 1397 and they have been brewing traditional German styles ever since.

Spaten Oktoberfest is a very typical Marzen-style beer.  Marzen is German for March and it’s used for this style because the beer is traditionally brewed in March and served in Sept for Oktoberfest.  Spaten Oktoberfest comes in at 5.9% ABV and 23IBU and believe it or not, it only has 180 calories in a 12oz bottle.  Spaten Oktoberfest is brewed to the standard of the Reinheitsgebot or German Beer Purity Law of 1516 which states it only contains, water, malt, yeast & hops.


image
As one of the Munich-home breweries for Oktoberfest, Spaten not only lays claim to brewing the World’s First Oktoberfest beer, but they also supply beers to the many of the largest tents during the Oktoberfest celebration in Munich…one even featuring 10,000 seats!

Celebrate Oktoberfest with a Spaten Oktoberfest and you’ll see why it has become such a popular Marzen-style beer.  This traditional German lager has been around for hundreds of years and I suspect it will be around for hundreds more.

Thank you to Nancy, John & Joe

for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

26 comments (click to read or post):

  1. As we return from our cruise today a great way to slip back into reality is a one-day workweek on a Friday with the Friday Beer Buzz!

    Today we enjoyed Spaten Oktoberfest! Tis the season and all and if you enjoy Marzen style beers, then you and Spaten Oktoberfest are no strangers.

    As they say in Germany, 'Ist gut!'

    (I have no idea if they say that. I'm not even certain that's German. But it sounds right so what say we go with that?)

    Thanks as always to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com for an entertaining and informative (and tasty) show and thanks to you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John...and thanks for all the comments so far. I'm catching up on moderation so I will be posting them soon....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey that's one of my favorite beers. Go Spaten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun show today buzzers. I like Spaten but Hacker is way better for an Oktoberfest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say Spaten is my favorite but Hacker is pretty good too. I think my least favorite is probably Hoffbrau. Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too! I thought Hoffbrau was just OK and even Spaten is pretty good. I'd prefer Susquehanna's

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will say as much as I'm not a regular Okto drinker I really did enjoy Susquehanna Brewing Co's Oktoberfest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll admit I've only caught on to you guys a few months ago but I love the show. Today's show was one of my favorites. I really like your guests but I like it even better when the three of you just hang out and talk beer. The Oktoberfestival fun facts were funny too. Thanks WILK.

    Chris El

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss so much of the show when I hear it live that I laugh even more on video. I want to watch the show live if I can.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know about eBay sales ending. Great reporting! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never found an Oktoberfest I liked but I will try Spaten. JJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations beer buzz. You finally featured a beer I hate. Jeb

    ReplyDelete
  13. who the hell drinks non-alcoholic beers at Oktoberfest?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Joe Thomas stole a beer during the show!

    Joe's Nemesis

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oktoberfest facts rule!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy I love Spaten!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  17. My first beer buzz show today. You guys do a great job. How did I miss this show? Nice job!

    John K

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got the text, I read the rest of my texts, picked up my phone at 9:10 and called and you were sold out. Crap I missed out! Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry Kerry. When I left the studio this morning the lines were lit like a Christmas Tree! All tickets were sold out by 9:05AM. Thanks you to everyone that got on the bus and for those that did not, it's my understanding there may be a ticket contest in the future so stay tuned to WILK and join our WILK Friday BeerBuzz text club (text "beer" to 99404 to join)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The video credits are awesome. Harris Thininout!

    I had to read it twice to get it. Nice show today and I agree with the guy that said I love when you guys just hang out and shoot the sh%t about beer.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the beer you had on today but I think it's just sort of ordinary. Randy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your webpage. I tune in every week and finally found my way to mybeerbuzz.com. Amazing is all I can say. Jeff K

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd love to try out the German Spaten on tap in Munich at Oktoberfest. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the show and loved this week's video. I didn't realize you guys know so much about beer.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Damn I missed the bus tickets!@

    ReplyDelete
  26. Our Oct 20th Tour de BuZz Bus Trip to Victory & Sly Fox sold out in 5 minutes! Stay tuned to WILK for details on some possible contest tickets in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).