WILK Friday BeerBuzz–13 July 2012 Lancaster Strawberry Wheat w/Bill Moore

WILKFridayBerbuzz14If you follow along with the Friday BeerBuzz you know I like to fly in the face of traditional beers and I especially like to ignore the proper beer for the proper weather.  Case in point, last week we featured an Imperial Coffee Stout in early July.

This week I decided to not fight the trend and actually feature an appropriate beer for the appropriate time of year…and with the wonderfully warm weather we’ve been experiencing, I thought now was the perfect time.

Lancaster County PA has a rich brewing history.  Back in the early 1800’s, Lancaster County accounted for 7% of all beer brewed in the U.S. with an output of over 200,000bbl per year.  Unfortunately World War I and prohibition brought this all to a screeching stop, and even after both ended, brewing was never the same.

40 Years later the Lancaster Malt Mill opened and by 2001 it was purchased by Lancaster Brewing and beer finally returned to Lancaster, PA.

Back in June 2010 when we featured Lancaster Kolsch,  (Lancaster’s 1st canned beer) on the Friday BeerBuzz, so it was exciting to not only feature another local Lancaster beer, but to also welcome their brewmaster Bill Moore on to the show.  Bill has brewed for Independence, Sly Fox & even Stoudt’s over the years, so he has a keen insight as to what goes into making a great beer….and today’s beer is certainly a great one.
image


Lancaster Strawberry Wheat is a classic summer wheat with TWO twists.  First is the addition of Strawberry to this classic American Wheat, but the 2nd twist is actually even more interesting.  Lancaster Strawberry Wheat is actually a LAGER!  Yes this brew actually uses lager yeast to add a crisp and clean finish….perfect for a hot summer day.  At 4.8% ABV it’s sessionable, and with 16 IBU coming from Cascade & Hallertau hops, it’s well balanced and not overly sweet.  I’ve also given you a peek above at the NEW LABEL so watch for it as it appears on the shelves in our local market.

Thank you to Bill Moore from Lancaster Brewing

, John & Joe for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

28 comments (click to read or post):

  1. A beer that involves fruit is not always the first one I'll grab given a choice but the strawberry in Lancaster Strawberry Wheat is not so much a hint of strawberry as a hint of a hint of strawberry. An icy cold two or three on a hot summer afternoon would be a perfect way to "put out the fire!"

    Thanks to Bill Moore from Lancaster for joining us today. Thanks, always, to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com for producing another great show. And thanks to you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this beer. My wife & I drink it when we camp and I'd love to see it in cans. Will also buy Lancaster Kolsch & 4-Grain Amish ale. I've heard every show and I knew you'd get their brewer on soon. Thank you WILK.

    Jim G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I love the new label!

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys. I visited Lancaster Brewery and really liked their Milk Stout. I plan to try the Strawberry Wheat today at lunch. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always have the best guests on the show. Local craft beer has a home in NEPA on WILK. Cheers to Bill Moore for joining our local beer community.

    Jenna Pria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like a lighter beer for all guys day today. Where was Nancy when you need her?

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lancaster Strawberry wheat is a perfect choice for the hot weather. You guys just reminded me how much I love this beer. On my way to Krugel's tonight for sure. Jess from Plains

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just went back and watched some of your old shows on video. You guys have too much fun and you always manage to bring out great beer info. Who knew Lancaster PA was the hub of brewing?! Nice job Bill.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice show and a very under rated beer too. Cheers to Bill Moore!

    Mark J

    ReplyDelete
  10. We buy Lancaster beer all the time. Strawberry wheat goes camping with us and 4-Grain comes home with me. Nice show.

    Joe R

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beer, funny chatter and craft beer knowledge. I think I learned something today. I need a job like yours.

    Mike (Dallas, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice show buzzers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back Webster!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rustero Fendero does a great job on the video!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll be heading to Georgetown Deli today to try this. It sounded great and I never heard of it. Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very funny show once again. I really don't know what else to say except I love the show every week. Your beers your guests and simply you guys all rock. Cheers to Lancaster beers too.

    Jerry Kid

    ReplyDelete
  17. I should also mention that I watch back the video at least twice every week. My fiends and I get together on Saturdays and we love the show.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hell Yea! great show!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm no fan of Strawberry Wheat, it's a little too light but I do really love Hop Hog! Why didn't you do Hop Hog? JT

    ReplyDelete
  20. We had lots of good Lancaster Brewing choices. I love Hop Hog, Amish 4-Grain & Milk Stout...but given our weather (hot hot hot!) I chose Strawberry Wheat. I also thought it was an interesting beer-education story because it's actually a Lager and not an Ale.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You guys crack me up on the video. Do you script the jokes? Don

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha! Script? I do bring a few notes on the Krugels tasting and the beer of the day but beyond that we're winging it ;) Funny isn't funny when it's scripted.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just tasted Strawberry Wheat at Georgetown Deli. I really love this beer and I can't believe I didn't know about it. Once again the WILK Buzz has turned me on to a new beer. Yes I took some home too. Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad to hear it Ryan. I always love it when people explore new beers and find new ones to love. Our thanks to Bill Moore @ Lancaster brewing for not only creating these wonderful beers, but also for joining us on the air today to sample with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Echo on the video! But I still watched it twice. I do love the credits at the end. Anyone who doesn't watch all the way through misses some of the funniest stuff. That HAS to be Webster?

    Jason P

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yep the credits are all Webster!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).