WILK Friday BeerBuzz–18 May 2012 Brooklyn w/Garrett Oliver

WILKFridayBerbuzz11Every so often my production & hosting duties on the WILK Friday BeerBuzz offer me what I call a “holy cow” moment….and today was one of those moments.  For me to sit in the studio and sample a Brooklyn Brewery Beer while speaking to the one and only Garrett Oliver was exciting and somewhat surreal experience.

Brooklyn Brewery remains one of the earliest and most influential craft breweries in the northeast.  In my early craft-beer-years, I was still pretty new to great beer and I was excited to find so many coming out of one brewery in nearby Brooklyn, NY.  I’ve also been a huge fan of the Brewmaster’s Table, a book Garrett Oliver wrote in 2003 that not only teaches you about tasting craft beer but also the “pleasures” of pairing it with great food.” Garrett’s writings were some of the first experiences I’ve had with pairing beer & food, and for me, the Brewmaster’s Table is the absolute beer/food bible.

It was a lot of fun talking to Garrett about his Brewmaster’s Table book, but also his latest The Oxford Companion to Beer.  This is the first and still ONLY encyclopedia devoted to craft beer, and more importantly the history & development of craft beer as well as brewing.  These are both must-read books for anyone new or even experienced with craft beer.image

It was also exciting to talk to Garrett about the expansion and exciting news coming out of Brooklyn Brewery.  Their move to canning beer and the growth of their facilities speaks well for the future of Brooklyn Brewery and is certainly exciting for beer lovers.

Sampling Sorachi Ace with Garrett was quite an honor.  I still consider myself new to food and beer pairing so it was a lot of fun working with a great Brooklyn beer and then with Garrett’s guidance, pairing it with food.  Garrett recommended the fresh goat cheese we sampled today, and the pairing was perfect.  For me personally it was the lemongrass flavor of the Sorachi Ace hop that made the pairing perfect.  The beer was dry and clean and the flavors complimented the goat cheese really well.  If you remember back on our Christmas Show we paired Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout with several dishes based on mascarpone cheese, and as amazing as that was, it was even more amazing to get another try at beer/food pairing with Garrett.

Thank you to Garrett Oliver from Brooklyn Brewery

, Nancy, John, & Joe for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

32 comments (click to read or post):

  1. Great show guys. Garret Oliver is my beer hero so getting to hear him talking to NEPA today was amazing. Also big Kudos to you for premiering Susquehanna last week. Keep up the good beer!

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again! Fantastic!

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really another great show. Garrett Oliver is amazing and it was nice to feature him on the show. Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started drinking Brooklyn beer as my first craft beer. Hearing Garrett today brings my 5-years of craft beer full circle. Thank you WILK. James

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thrilled to welcome Garrett Oliver to the FBB this morning! Thank you Garrett and thank you for Sorachi Ace!

    Hoppy is my thing and Sorachi Ace has just the right amount of hops to keep things interesting without hitting you over the head. Perfectly brewed! Get some at Krugel's!

    Thanks again Garrett Oliver, thank you to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com for producing consistently great FBB's every week, and thanks to you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Garret rules! Nice show WILK and great save after the computer mess. You guys are funny.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tune into every show and have not missed one yet! Garret Oliver was an amazing guest to get. He is the king of craft beer & food pairing so that was great. Ken

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK so where can I get the cheese & beer?

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Brooklyn Sorachi Ace came from Krugels Georgetown Deli & the Vermont Creamery Fresh Goat Cheese came from Wegmans WB.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew someone would do the "It's not Baaaaaaad" joke! Henry (Dallas)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Garret was a great guest. You should have him on again. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. I met Garrett about 10 years ago at a book signing and the 5 mins I spent talking to him sealed the deal for me. I love Brooklyn beers and always will. Thank you to WILK and cheers to Garrett!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. WILK is the best. Your beer show has been my favorite and I love finding out who your guest is. Cheers to Garret for coming on WILK today. Nice job buzzers. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just tuned into the beer show a few weeks ago and I love it. Susquehanna last week and Brooklyn's Garret Oliver this week. Very nice and I'll be back. I also want to try the beer food combo you did today. It sounded delish.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great guest on today's show. I love Brooklyn beer. Cheers to Garret!

    Ken L

    ReplyDelete
  16. You guys are amazing. Garrett Oliver was fantastic. Thanks WILK & Garrett.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorachi Ace is one of my all time favorite beers. I almost drove off the road when you announced Garret Oliver would be on the show. Amazing guest and I love his beer. Thank you Garrett.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will be popping my Sorachi Ace & Hoppenweise in honor of today's Beer Buzz. Garrett is the man! Now if I can only get my wife to pick up some goat cheese. Sam (Beaumont, PA). Cheers Garrett!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the lemon flavor in Sorachi ace. I'll bet it plays well with the cheese. Nice call for doing a show. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  20. You guys did great with the computer meltdown and a big guest. Cheers to a good save. I hate computers and love Brooklyn Beer. Cheers Joe

    ReplyDelete
  21. You guys are such professionals. Amazing save!
    Skip

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was a HUGE guest! I can't believe you guys had Garrett on the show! Cheers & thank you Garrett. Northeastern PA loves you.

    Cheers Bob

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm watching back the video now. You guys don't even look phased at all. Computers & phones blowing up and you don't even blink. Nice job buzzers and Cheers to Garrett too. John M (Dalton)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Watching the video for the 2nd time. Really good job guys. Ed

    ReplyDelete
  26. cheers too for control room help. jj

    ReplyDelete
  27. That show was not BAAAAAAAAAD!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the video credits! Who knew Rusty has LLamas! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  29. You guys do a wonderful job of having fun and spreading that fun all while we're learning. I have so much fun listening because I know you guys are having fun. Cheers to that and to another amazing guest in Garrett Oliver. I really enjoy Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and it was cool to hear Garrett. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree with Jim...I don't even realize I'm picking up beer knowledge because you're having too much fun. How do I get this job?

    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks everyone. We were honored to have Garrett Oliver from Brooklyn Brewery join us to do a beer & food pairing. The Sorachi Ace was fantastic and it pairs really well with good goat cheese. Try this combo for yourself and see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  32. nice job buzzers!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).