WILK Friday BeerBuzz–17 Dec 2010 (St Bernardus Christmas Ale)

WILKFridayBerbuzz17As we fly down the holiday gauntlet and as our lives get more and more hectic, it was nice to pause and enjoy a really great holiday beer with the Friday BeerBuzz crew. 

St Bernardus Christmas Ale comes to us from a very historic brewery, but it’s actually their youngest beer.  Based on their Abt 12, Christmas Ale has a deep rich color and a warming and complex taste.  This is a beer to sip slowly and enjoy as it warms and changes, and a beer I’d recommend everyone try.  This is also a bottle-conditioned beer that will cellar well and be even better (and stronger) next year.

To answer another often asked beer question based on St Bernardus beer, “Abt” is a flemish term used to refer to the abbot in the monastic breweries.  The term was loosely used to refer to a trappist brewery’s strongest or highest ranking beer, muck like the abbot.  The 12 in “Abt 12” is also a measure of strength referring to the OG or original gravity.  In this case the 12 really refers to an OG of 1.120.  So as you can see, these beers have a long & interesting history.

Be SURE to tune in next week on Christmas Eve (and again on New Years Eve) at 11AM for our Very Special 1-Hour Friday BeerBuzz on WILK (103.1FM & wilknewsradio.com).  We’ll have multiple beers, multiple guests, multiple beer cam movies and all sorts of surprises for your holiday fun.  Sleep in and join us at 11AM!

Get out and get some St Bernardus Christmas Ale before it’s all gone. 
Thank you
to Jack Gretz, John, Nancy, Joe & Bosco for yet another fun Friday. 
The Friday Beerbuzz…bringing good beers and good people together
As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday Beerbuzz page by clicking HERE
.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

31 comments (click to read or post):

  1. St Bernardus is one of my absolute favotite breweries. I've been drinking their ales for over 15 years. I'm excited and embarrased to say, I learned more about St Bernardus on your show today than I've learned in 15 years. I love this beer so much I even display my empty bottles so you picked a great one. You sir are a great chooser of beers and I'm still amazed at all the great beer facts. I plan to play back the show on video so I can actually write down all of the info about St Bernardus. Thank you.

    Jason P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys rule. That's by far one of the best holiday beers out there (St Bernardus). The beer fact-ory you come up with too is amazing. Who knew that Joan of Arc rain is in St Bernardus or that St Bernardus was affiliated with Westey! Great stuff Bill and one of my favorite shows so far. Keep it up buzzers!

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you do it, but I've listenbed faithfully to every show and your beer choices have been amazing. YOu guys by far have the best show because you simply bring us week after week of amazing beers that we can go buy locally, punctuated by some really incredible rare beers and really amazing and fun guests. Happy Holidays to John, Bill, Nancy and Joe and thank you all for a great show. Make that the BEST beer show!

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you everyone. We have a great time doing the Friday BeerBuzz and we all love the show as well as the beers we feature...and hopefully that love and excitement for craft beer comes across the airwaves. St Bernardus Christmas is one of my favorite holiday beverages so it was a LOT of fun sharing the beer and the interesting story behind St Bernardus with all of you. From the Friday BeerBuzz crew to all of our listeners and friends...Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A+ dudes...this is an amazing beer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. tend to like the spicy beers for Xmas but now you have me curious. Thankfully my husband will be making his weekly stop at Krugel's today for lunch. I've already requested a St Bernardus and Infinium!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. As jason said. I've been drinking Abt 12 for years and never knew what ABt or 12 meant. I feel so enlightened! Now I can show off for my beer friends tonight.

    Shhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Holidays to the best beer show!

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do you guys always manage to know more about these beers than I do? I've been a St Bernardus beer lover since the days ot Steve at Sudds and never knew the story behind it. Thank you Bill.

    Joe K

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. I always think there are great beers and great stories about breweries...and when the two come together it makes for a great show.

    and Joe K if you're the Joe K I'm thinking of, you and I have shared more than a few St Bernardus at Sudds in the past. e-Mail me mybeerbuzz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always Bill another fun show, another great beer, and more interesting facts and information (Joan of Arc rainwater!!!)

    The St. Bernardus was delicious and a definite must for a beer lover at the holidays.

    Thanks for a great year and looking forward to 2011!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to Brian from Wilkes-Barre---winner of the $25 gift certificate to Krugel's Georgetwon Deli & Beer! Be sure to join our text club by texting "beer" to 99404 for future contests AND the first peek at our beer of the week BEFORE we go on the air.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You guys just gave me some great ideas. For my husband for Xmas, St Bernardus Xmas Ale, for my in-laws holiday party St Bernardus Xmas Ale, for my office party St Bernardus Xmas Ale and for our New Years Eve party St Bernardus Xmas Ale. And I'm not kidding. Off to Krugels!

    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  14. All too often we take for granted the amazing things we have in our lives. Each year when we reach the holidays we don't always take the time to acknowledge them. For some reason, your show today made me very thankful. I know this sounds like a joke, but I really mean it. I love the show and I don't know how I'd get through Friday without it. I'm a beer lover, but it's more than the beer you guys present. Thank you and Happy Holidays to the Friday Beer Buzz team!

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why didn't I know about this beer. I have a CASE of Abt 12 in the basement and never heard of this. I almost crapped my pants when you said the name. I Must get my butt to Krugel's today.

    And just so you guys know. Krugel's does a great job but you guys do too. I've actually gone down on a Sat only to find your beer of the week sold out.

    Cheers to local beer lovers for knowing a good beer!

    Steve W (Ashley)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all. Ryan...Beer is a social drink and is meant to be shared with family & friends...and what a great mix of things we should all be thankful for.

    Steve...get your butt down to Krugel's Georgetown Deli. Yes our beer of the week, despite Joe & Keving getting a bunch of it in stock, DO sell out sometimes...and this is one you do NOT want to miss.

    Chrissy...Great plan!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Abt 12 is better but Xmas is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to see the disco ball in your video. Nice to hear my music man Jack on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice show everyone. Amazing beer choice and I love the text contest. Hopefully I can win one of them soom.

    Dave (WB)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice cork pop!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a regular listener and I have to say the show is my favorite. I love tin foil hat, but the beer buzz is so much fun. Maybe you can combine the two??

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you everyone. It was fun having Jack on the show and we really love the disco ball.

    Susan...you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rock on Buzzers. My favorite holiday beer is St Bernardus.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now I know what to pop on New Years Eve. Thanks Webster & Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Even I can admit that the Friday BeerBuzz is a nice distraction from the events of the day.

    Duke

    ReplyDelete
  26. Woof woof woof! Nice musical choice!

    ReplyDelete
  27. All the credit goes to Bosco for the amazing music we use with every beer. The barking dog Xmas was an amazing choice for St Bernard-us and a surprise even for me. Thank you Bosco!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to the Friday Beer Buzzers. You deserve a break and I cannot wait to hear the 1-hour show on Xmas Eve. Cheers

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you all....and from all of us on the WILK Friday BeerBuzz to all of our listeners and readers....please have an enjoyable holiday season. Toast your family & friends, but please be safe in your holiday celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Went up to see Jacks new store, I would not have known if I had not been listening to the beer buzz. Folks if you want a guitar or amplifier go see Northeast Music, that is only if you want to be treated really really nice. Thanks for making my Friday mornings get off to a great start WILK!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Anon...and thanks again to Jack Gretz for the disco-ball.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).