27 January 2015
Time once again to don your parka, pack up your sleeping bag and head to Foothills for our Annual Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout Release on January 30 and 31. If you've been with us before for this most special of days, then the details below will be familiar to you. Read them anyway. If this is your first time, then congrats on scratching this particular shindig off your Craft Beer Bucket List. You too must read on carefully.
- Foothills will host its traditional Bottle Share Pre-Release Party on Friday night January 30th beginning at 7:00 pm, in the brewery portion of our brewpub at 638 West 4th Street in Winston-Salem. Here's how it works: we open up the back of our brewpub to anyone and everyone who brings a bottle or two (or three or four) of their favorite rare, unique or coveted craft beer. Interpretation of that description is up to you, but show up with a 6-pack of Blue Moon and we're not responsible for the incessant mocking which will certainly ensue. We'll have Sexual Chocolate on tap at the bar, and appetizers to snack on if you're famished.
- The line to buy Sexual Chocolate bombers (22-oz. bottles) will begin on the sidewalk outside the front door of the pub. You're welcome to queue up any time after we close at 2:00 am the previous evening. So for once you don't have to actually go home at closing time. NOTE: please do not, repeat, DO NOT, start lining up before we close. Violators will be sent to the back of the line and force-fed Lime-A-Ritas.
- City police officers will be on hand overnight. No doubt this will prove to be for cosmetic purposes only, since we all know what a well-behaved lot craft beer enthusiasts are. There’s a rumor that those nice officers will let you enjoy your own, um, refreshments until daylight. We can neither confirm nor deny . . . we will, however, refer you to the aforementioned good behavior. Wink wink nudge nudge.
- There'll be portable restroom facilities in the back parking lot. We're thoughtful like that.
- Around 6:30 am we'll all run a lap around the block. Only finishers get their beer. Just kidding. We’ll have our bleary-eyed but cheerful staff on hand at that time to distribute numberedwristbands to denote your place in line. (Captain Obvious says make sure you have your ID with you.)
- The pub will open at 8:00 am, Sexual Chocolate will be tapped and waiting (as will 14 other beers - viva le variété). We'll also have breakfast available for purchase. You know, solid food. If that's your thing.
- Bottle sales will commence at 9:00 am. You’ll be summoned by your wristband number in groups of 50, whereafter you'll pay for your bottles in the pub then proceed in somewhat orderly fashion to the brewery in back, where you'll receive your beer.
- Bottles are $15 each, limit of 6 to a person. Any questions about that? Then the answer is 15 and 6. (btw that is an increase from the 4 bottle max of the past. You're welcome.) We take all forms of payment -- cash, credit cards, your firstborn . . .
- Bottles tend to get snapped up quickly. This is the part where we politely suggest that, if you want to partake in this beer, please please please plan accordingly. If you show up at 3 in the afternoon and complain bitterly that there's none left, you will only create bad karma for yourself. That and the staff will be doing impressions of you until next year’s release.
- Another way to create bad karma? Trying to take the easy way out and asking us on Facebook/Twitter the best time to get in line. Please believe us when we say WE DON'T KNOW. Every year is different. So suck it up and come stand in line. Hang out. Make friends. Be one with us. Or, if you REALLY don't want to camp out, you can buy a spot at the front of the line with proceeds going to charity. Details and link below.
- We don't provide boxes or bags - that would expand our carbon footprint exponentially. Please bring something to safely cart away your newly purchased liquid treasures. How big you ask? About 6 bottles big.
- No growler fills of Sexual Chocolate. And no growling about no growler fills.
- We will have plenty of Sexual Chocolate Rastal Teku glasses for sale ($15). They're very cool. Somehow the beer tastes better in them.
Want to stay up to date on all the latest leading up to this event? Then follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Also check back to this blog, we'll update it frequently with new info. In fact I just now added this sentence.
Headed here from out of town? The Winston-Salem Marriott (walking distance from the pub) has a special $89 rate just for Sexual Chocolate attendees.