GAEL Brewing Closing In Geneva, NY

GAEL Brewing Closing In Geneva, NY

From GAEL Brewing:

GAEL Brewing Company is announcing the closing of the brewery effective immediately.

This decision is a difficult one to make but based on an exhaustive analysis, the numbers did not add up. A significant part of my life is gone. I am sure that there are many people who will be critical of what I did. I tried the best I could. Unfortunately, that is the nature of life these days, to be critical, to feel superior especially from those who have never risked anything in life and who have never met me.

The brewery did not make money at any time during its existence and I did not take one dollar of pay during the time that we were open. The failure of the business rests entirely on me. It was not NY State, Governor Cuomo, COVID-19 or any other excuse. The failure is because of me solely. The market has spoken loudly and they rejected our brand. I have failed. It is that simple. People/businesses fail every day. Hoping and wishing is not a business strategy and it does not cover health insurance premiums and other expenses. Someone has to be sacrificed on the capitalistic altar of creative destruction. Sometimes in the epic struggle of rolling the rock up the hill, it falls back down the hill and runs you over.

I regret that I had to make this decision but it is based on declining foot traffic within the tasting room and lack of wholesale sales. I was hoping to fill a void being a dedicated brewery focused on quality on the northern edge of Seneca Lake but the anticipated growth did not materialize. The COVID-19 crisis did not cause this; it was just the last strike of the hammer on the nail to close the coffin.

I made many catastrophic strategic business mistakes especially early on that contributed to this decision. I was overly optimistic for the need for our craft beer in the area over time. I tried to increase our brand recognition within the area but didn't accomplish what I set out to do. I couldn't invest in the constant measures necessary to draw people to the brewery. When the brewery did have entertainment the additional foot traffic did not materialize.

I tried to emphasize the family aspect of the Irish-American heritage with our business. In hindsight, I should have been edgier to draw attention to ourselves as some have done, but that is not in my personality.

I truly appreciate everyone who came through our doors and supported us in the time that we were open and hope that you had a great time here. The memories of us for you may fade over time but for me I will remember everyone who visited.

I will not be able to speak to most of you personally who see and respond to this post. Our paths will probably not cross again. No one knows what the future will hold for each of us; however I just want to say a sincere thank you and goodbye. I will now just fade away and disappear.

Please be safe and alive during this time. That is what is important.

George Adams

GAEL Brewing Company

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

0 comments (click to read or post):

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).