WILK Friday BeerBuzz - 6 Sep 2013 - Stone 17th Anniversary Gotterdammerung IPA w/Mitch Steele

FBBbeerbuzzbanner_v4
As much as I always feel bad when we wake him up at 5:30AM, we really love having our pal Mitch Steele from Stone Brewing join us on the WILK Friday BeerBuzz.  Mitch is a friend of the show and a frequent guest as we feature Stone’s latest Anniversary beer each year and it’s always great to get the inside scoop on what’s going on at Stone.

This year we were honored to wish Mitch and everyone at Stone Brewing a Happy 17th Anniversary…and what better way to do that than to sample their 17th Anniversary beer with Mitch.

Stone’s 17th Anniversary beer  is named Gotterdammerung IPA and as with all of their Anniversary brews, this one is really unique.  This beer starts life as a sort-of Imperial Pilsner, using all Pilsner malts, but it finishes up with Ale yeast.  In between all that, Gotterdammerung IPA gets loaded up with bittering, flavoring, whirlpool and dry-hopping using multiple unique and experimental German hops.  Look for Magnum, Herkules, Merkur, Opal, Emerald, Strisselspalt, Hersbrucker and even Sterling hops in the mix and the resulting flavor is a really unique IPA.
image
Gotterdammerung departs from the traditional citrusy or fruity hops found in American and New Zealand hops, and heads off on a spicy and herbal German path.  The color is gorgeous, the nose is uniquely hoppy and the flavor is resinous, bright and even a bit boozy.  Try this one for yourself and see what I mean.

Not only did we talk about Gotterdammerung with Mitch, but we also got some updates on Mitch’s new blog, his book release, the construction projects going on at Stone and even the future releases coming up in the Stone Collaboration series of beers.  As usual, we also didn’t forget to beg Mitch to open a brewpub in NEPA….so stay tuned Winking smile
image

Thank you to Mitch Steele from Stone Brewing, Nancy, John & Kyle for yet another

fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

50 comments (click to read or post):

  1. I love the show. Mitch Steele is my hero and the Stone beer is amazing. A few years ago when you had Mitch on I started buying their Anniversary beers and now I want 17. Cheers!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear I buy more Stone IPA than anyone. I heard about them on the Buzz so I couldn't believe how much I like them. I'm still not worthy yet.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the rarified air that the most revered, talented, and inspired brewmasters occupy is where you find Mitch Steele.

    Stone Brewing has somehow found a way to consistently leap from great to greater still and a German hopped pilsener with West Coast sensibilities is what Mitch has given us in Stone 17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA.

    Just get some.

    Thank you Mitch for being on the show, thank you Bill for getting Mitch to be on the show, and thank YOU for listening to us talk to Mitch! lol

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just went up and bought a bottle of Stone 17. Can't wait to try it tonight. Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  5. The show beer came from Krugels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine came from Georgetown Deli

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  7. How was the beer? Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good Amy. I would describe it as, herbal, resinous, hoppy with a little peach-like citrus. It's a strong beer and lots of hops but I think the all Pilsner malts makes it really unique. Try it for yourself before it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I blame you guys for my Stone Obsession. Now I want to try everything they do. I bought the Coconut IPA last night and didn't even know you were having Mitch on! Nice!

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started with Stone 4 years ago and that's pretty much all I buy. I didn't know about the Anniversary beers until you had Mitch on 2 years ago. Now I try to buy those as well. I just found the collaboration series so I'll try that now. Nice show. Now if I can only visit the brewery.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a wonderful place to have a beer so if you get anywhere near Escondido be SURE to stop in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read Mitch's new book and I agree. Now I want to brew an IPA for myself. I'll call it Ian's IPA and it will be old school, using older hops.


    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just bought Stone R&R coconut IPA and I really like it. I didn't know about 17 Gotterdammerung IPA until the show today. I guess I'll have lunch at Krugel's and get me some. Lare

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mitch is my favorite all time guest on the show. I did like Sam Calagione but Mitch is my fave.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I always have an Arrogant Bastard in my refrigerator. The beer not the person. JJ

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi buzzers:

    I have seen photos of the brewery and it looks fantastic. Is it as big as it looks?

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bigger Jeremy. The bar area is amazing, there's a restaurant, upstairs private space, a growler/swag shop, of course a huge wall of glass with the brewery behind it and a large outdoor space. Go Visit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. On our last visit they had about 35 beers on draft, including guest beers. We bought sample trays of all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I keep a sixer of Stone IPA around at all times.

    Kev

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for having Mitch Steele on again. I've watched the video now three times! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  21. I laughed I cried and it became a part of me. And I only cried because I didn't have a Stone 17 in front of me. Lots of fun as usual.

    Terry (Beaumont)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Arrogant Bastard started my good beer career. I didn't realize beer could be so good. I missed the other shows but when I hit the beer text today I listened in. I want to visit Stone. Jed

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi WILK

    I listen in every week but I haven't tried any of the beer yet. I usually drink wine. After hearing today's guest I think I'll buy into the Stone 17 and sample it. Thank you for the information.


    Karla T (Bloom)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been trying to find Stone Enjoy By. Any chance we'll see it in NEPA?

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ed:

    I was lucky enough to get some Enjoy By. It was sent out by Stone and hand delivered by Jaime Jurado so I was VERY lucky. It's a REALLY good beer and I'd buy it by the case if I was able to find it. I don't expect we'll see any of this 9/13 batch. I checked in with Lee Marren (our Stone rep) and he confirmed none had hit NEPA. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I did get to see the Stone Woot stout bottle but I didn't get to sample it. You? Thom

    ReplyDelete
  27. I liked it Thom. Nice packaging too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Was Stone 17 strong?

    ReplyDelete
  29. 102 IBU and 9.5% ABV...so yes it's a bit strong, but you wouldn't know it by the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great show. Is this beer in 22oz bottles?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes 22oz bottles. There's probably draft too but I'm not sure how much we'll see of that

    ReplyDelete
  32. I buy Sublimely Self Righteous by Stone and occasionally some Oaked Bastard when I can find it. Both of these are outstanding beers. Nice job getting Mitch to come on the show. He should open a Stone pub in NEPA. Art

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Anon....both great beers and two of my Stone favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I didn't know about Oaked Bastard??

    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yep....there's Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Bastard, Double Bastard, Lucky Basartd (not a typo)and all sorts of barrel-aged keg-only versions.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really like hearing from the brewers making the beers on your show. This gives me so much info and I wasn't much of a Stone drinker before. Mitch seemed like a cool guy now I bet the beer is too. I'll be checking some out tonight when we go out. Thanks for the tip. Jason

    ReplyDelete
  37. Try the Arrogant Bastard or Sublimely!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love hearing about Stone Brewing. They are probably a favorite of mine. Hearing Mitch in NEPA rocks! Cheers to that.

    I'll raise a Stone IPA in his honor tonight.

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  39. Me too! Cheers to Mitch!

    ReplyDelete
  40. We really enjoyed sampling Stone 17th Anniversary Gotterdammerung IPA today and it's always fun talking to Mitch Steele from Stone. Thanks Mitch!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I vote this show as a another award winner!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks J. It was a fun show and it's always great talking beer with Mitch. Our 2nd PAB Award was given for the last Mitch Steele show.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Good BREAKING info on the Enjoy By and Vertical series. I did see the collaboration Suede beer on your site. Nice!

    DDee

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your video credits rock!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Our closing credits & theme music are performed by Stashu Hastafahrt and the Good Idea orchestra.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anyone who doesn't play the video to the end is missing all the fun. I don't know if people know that. Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  47. So the Stone Vertical series will end at 12 12 12!

    Thank for the info. I'm anxious to see what's next.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).