WILK Friday BeerBuzz–6 July 2012 Flying Dog Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout w/Mary Tellie

WILKFridayBeerbuzz4
We’ve had a parade of brewmasters, founders, CEO’s and owners on the show and I really love getting to talk with each of them AND sample their great beers.  This week we decided to welcome a guest of a different kind into the studio and sample a beer that is right up her alley.

imageMarry Tellie from Electric City Roasting carries a level of coffee-knowledge that is unrivaled in NEPA.  Her knowledge of coffee selection, roasting and serving is an expertise we decided to take advantage of on the show today.

 



Mary knows coffee… and you’d be amazed at how many descriptors that are common for coffee flavors are also applicable to beer, so it was a tremendous amount of fun to sample a beer with Mary…especially when that beer has Coffee as one of the prominent ingredients.

Today we chose to feature a beer from Flying Dog Brewery in Frederick MD.  Flying Dog has a great history in the craft beer world and some amazing stories of the founding of the brewery.  Keep in mind founder George Stranahan came up with the name while on an adventure to summit K2 (the 2nd highest peak in the world.)  While in base camp at Rawlapindi Pakistan, George noticed a painting featuring an odd “Flying Dog” and the rest was history.
imageOur beer today was Flying Dog Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout.  This big 8.9%ABV Imperial Stout is loaded with coffee…and what perfect way to check Mary’s skills with what Flying Dog calls a “Secret Blend” from Black Dog Coffee (Summit Point, WV.)  Of course she passed with “flying” colors and also helped us with some of the prominent coffee flavors in this beer.  This beer is loaded with chocolaty flavors, a touch of toffee, earthiness and a prominent roasty background…with perhaps just a touch of vanilla too…and of course COFFEE!  Try this one out for yourself and be sure to check out Electric City Roasting coffee’s as well.

Thank you to Mary Tellie from Electric City Roasting

, Nancy & Joe for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

21 comments (click to read or post):

  1. Sorry for the comment posting delay folks....a crazy day @ beerbuzz central and our usual deluge of spam-comments selling everything from viagara to steam mops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't typically like coffee but maybe with beer. I'll check it out.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan...we did discuss this in the studio today before the show. Nancy & I are not typically coffee drinkers, yet we both like coffee ice cream and coffee beers. Give it a try. While I'm still probably not a coffee drinker...I will tell you the coffee that Mary brought us was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice show WILK. The mix of beer & coffee expertise was fascinating. I like how they described the flavors of the beer differently yet very similarly. I do want to now go buy this beer and watch the video back while I taste it. Wonderful knowledge and who ever said a beer show can't be incredibly informative too. Cheers to a culinary mix of beer & coffee info. Jason

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm more of a foodie than a beer drinker but I do tune into the beerbuzz because Bill always manages to describe the beer in a way that makes me want to try it. Having both Bill & Mary was fantastic for a food flavor lover. I'll admit I have tried more than a few of your beer selections and you guys always jazz up my palate. Thank you WILK.

    Chris Lear

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've really hit on something here. I missed your previous coffee beer but I love coffee and Zumo's. I'll try this one.

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice show guys. Info and beer in one sandwich. Ick on the beard beer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really had two good mixes today. The beer & coffee blend and the beer and coffee experts. I think that will draw in more food chefs too.

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love coffee and I'm a regular at Zumo's. I've heard Mary on the show before and I think she's so knowledgeable with coffee I enjoy hearing her. I really liked the mix with the beerbuzz today too. I never realized how "smart" your beer show is. I never tuned in too many times in the past but you do more than just drink beer. Nice job.

    Rob J

    ReplyDelete
  10. I expected to hear coffee versus beer but instead I heard two intelligent people breaking down a coffee beer in a really interesting way. I like the coffee plus beer attitude. Cheers to your guests.

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've now watched the video a few times. How Bill & Mary get the flavors is amazing. It's funny that as they talk about thinks like vanilla or bakers chocolate I can actually taste them. Great info today WILK!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had this beer. It's a great representation of coffee beers. Nice choice for a coffee show....even if it is out of season.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone. It was personally fascinating for me to sample a coffee-infused beer with a coffee expert. I think taste descriptors for coffee, food and yes even beer have a lot in common. Hearing Mary's description of flavors she's tasting in the beer was a lot of fun. Yes we were out of season for a heavy beer (coffee or otherwise) but I wanted to choose a really good coffee beer for Mary's appearance regardless of the season....and feature one with a prominent coffee flavor. I did consider a Coffee Saison but the coffee wasn't prominent enough. No worries....we'll definitely have Mary back to sample with us again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like a stout but I don't like coffee. Will this beer be strong with coffee flavors??

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jeff...there's no hiding the coffee flavors, BUT if you like stouts, I doubt they will be offensive....it's there but not prominent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know all about Flying Dog and I really loved your stories of George's adventures. I would have loved to hear more about the Hunter Thompson connection and of course the Ralph Steadman artwork deserves a show of it's own. Nice job.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey from Frederick Maryland, the home of Flying Dog! I enjoyed the first version before this beer was renamed Kujo and it's a great beer. Thanks for repping our local brewery. We love Flying Dog and I'll tell my friends about your show. Cheers!

    Eric (Frederick, MD)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice job today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just got the WILK iphone App and I listened to the beerbuzz on my phone. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A previous comment above mentions today's show being "smart." My only correction would be that just about every show from day one has been quietly informative. I'm a little bit shocked to see anyone that has heard the show think it is only a drinking party. Don't get me wrong, I think the show is a lot of fun and I laugh every day, but I almost always play the show back to hear the educational aspects. Yes I said education and beer in the same sentence. Today was even more fun and educational with Mary on too. Thank you WILK.

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ryan nailed it. This is a great show. Nice addition today with Mary.

    Bok

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).