WILK Friday BeerBuzz–20 April 2012 Troegs JavaHead Stout w/Chris Trogner

WILKFridayBerbuzz7One of the biggest stories in my 2011 mybeerbuzz Year in Craft Beer was the story of today’s brewery.  Over a year ago, our pals Chris Trogner & John Trogner started the plans for a new brewery in Hershey, PA.  This was a big move from their Paxton St facility in Harrisburg, and the plans looked amazing.  Jump forward to last fall and I can tell you the facility is even more amazing in person than on paper.

Troegs Hershey facility uses a gorgeous 100bbl BrauKon designed brewhouse not only as their main production brewery, but also as the centerpiece to the new brewpub.  It sits just behind the bar, and the room is filled with the sights smells & scents of brewing. Not to be outdone, just a few feet away is the 15bbl BrauKon designed Scratch brewing system.  Clad in wood and no less amazing, this is the production facility for their one-off and Scratch series beers.  It’s an amazing place for sure and a place you should visit….and tomorrow we will….but first…
Troegs13Oct 2011 080
Today we welcomed Chris Trogner on the Friday BeerBuzz.  I met Chris in Oct at the press walk through of the new facility and he was a great ambassador for Troegs.  I had a great time sharing a Scratch #49 and just talking beer with Chris.  Later I found out that Chris was getting married later that week.  New brewery & new wife….I give you credit Chris.

Chris was nice enough to join us to sample Troegs JavaHead Stout.  JavaHead is based on their original Oatmeal Stout recipe (which I was VERY fond of) but it’s even better.  JavaHead uses the new Hopback device to infuse additional whole-cone hops as well as locally roasted (St Thomas Roasters in Lingelstown, PA—video here) espresso & Kenyan coffee beans.  This makes for a rich, flavorful stout loaded with flavors of cocoa & coffee and the wonderful body of an oatmeal stout.



So here’s the exciting news….tomorrow (Sat 4/21) we’ll be jumping on the BeerBuzz Bus Trip to go visit Troegs.  I hope you have your tickets and I look forward to seeing you tomorrow AND sampling a Troegs JavaHead Stout with all of you.  This will be an exciting trip and when you’re done you’ll see what I mean about Troegs Hershey!

Thank you to Chris Trogner from Troegs Brewing

, Nancy, John, & Joe for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

25 comments (click to read or post):

  1. another great friday beer buzz. I only wish I was going on the bus tomorrow. Cheers,
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love Troegs. Their beer is a step ahead of most and I think their Scratch beer series has been one of the best on-going select-series available. Cheers to Chris!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was on the bus trip tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. JavaHead is a fantastic beer. The coffee flavor makes it really special, but there's a little chocolate flavor too. Good choice and yes I love Troegs too.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Troegs is my favorite brewery. I haven't been able to see the new Hershey location but I hear it is amazing. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried just about every Troegs beer, but not Java Head. Now you have me curious. Does Krugels have this?

    Walter J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone...and thank you to Chris Trogner for joining us on the air today. JavaHead is a wonderful coffee-stout and you should definitely try it. Krugels DOES have it in stock Walter.

    For those of you joining us on the Friday BeerBuzz bus trip tomorrow, we'll get a chance to try JavaHead on draft at Troegs Brewery. (as well as two or three new scratch beers).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so spoiled working right down the street from the old Troegs in Harrisburg, but I still make the ride up to Hershey. JavaHead is a great beer and I keep it in mr home fridge all the time. Cheers to Chris. I miss you in H'Burg. John

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I miss John milking a goat?!

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're wlecome JJ:

    http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2012/03/john-trogner-milking-goat.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Troegs Hershey is amazing. They are still one of the best breweries out there, and I still think they are underrated!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great show buzzers. I love Troegs beer.

    Tom (Blakslee, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just bought some more Nugget Nectar. It is still may absolute favorite beer. Cheers Chris & John.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks to Troegs Chris Trogner for being on the show today. Java Head Stout is tas-tee!

    We are most definitely looking forward to our visit to Troegs in Hershey!

    Thanks to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com and to The Joe Thomas, to Rusty Fender for the video, and of course and as always, to you for listening.

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great show guys. I love Troegs too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think JavaHead is my favorite stout. I buy it all the time. Paul

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tuned in last year when you had Chris on for Nugget Nectar. I never tried it before last years show and now it is probably my favorite beer. Now I'm surious to try Java Head too. You guys never let me down and I really like Troegs. Hal J

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another great show, another great guest another great beer! Nuf Said. Cheers Chris & WILK.


    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're my favorite show of the week. I love the friday beer buzz. Lee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great show and great photo of the brothers. Cheers Chris & John. Bob K

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Troegs beer!

    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just saw the video. You guys have the best jobs in the world, Chris included! Cheers to Troegs & beer. Alan

    ReplyDelete
  23. I plan to try JavaHead at lunch at Krugels. You guys are always dead-on with your beer recmendations. Thom

    ReplyDelete
  24. Does Krugels still have Nugget Nectar bottles?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes...As of Wed, Krugels DID have Nugget Nectar bottles available.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).