WILK Friday BeerBuzz–2 Mar 2012 Brouwerij Van Steenberge Piraat

WILKFridayBeerbuzz4We’ve had an amazing time on the Friday BeerBuzz and we have literally had guests join us for the last 27 SHOWS!!  So it was nice today to simply sit down with the Friday BeerBuzz team and enjoy a great beer. 
image


Today I chose a beer that only recently hit our area.  It was originally a draft-only release, and gradually we’ve seen more and more bottles reach our shores….which is very good news.  Our beer today was Brouwerij Van Steenberge Piraat.  In case your missed the reference on the label above, Piraat is Dutch for “Pirate” and after you try this one it may just steal your beer-booty.

Piraat is a Belgian/Flemish Style IPA, but if you’re expecting a traditional British or West-Coast style IPA, you’ll be surprised…but surprised in a good way.  This is a Belgian/Flemish style IPA which means there is significant hop presence, but the Belgian yeast imparts that bready/yeasty flavor we’re more accustomed to tasting in a Saison.  Piraat comes to us from Brouwerij Van Steenberge in Belgium, and it is a BIG 10.5% ABV, so there is a lot of boozy/alcohol flavor but I’d describe it more as “warming.”  Try this one for yourself…it’s readily available at Krugel’s Georgetown Deli & Beer and affordable in 4-Packs too.

Thank you to Mrs. BeerBuzz,

Nancy, John, & Joe for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

33 comments (click to read or post):

  1. I forgot how good you guys are without a guest. I love the casual beer chatter and Bill really knows his beer! Nice show!

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot how much fun you guys are and I actually want to impress my friends later with the fermentation flavor science you did. I'll be reviewing the video for details.

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  3. I joine dthe text club so I hope I can get on the bus trip. It sound slike a lot of fun!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy just hearing you guys talk about beer. I have to try Piraat soe we'll be trying it out later at Georgetown. Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. COngratulations on Show 100! I think I have listened to EVERY ONE! Mike L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Piraat is a really great beer. I am not sure why it surprises me to see it on WILK but it's great. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought there would be more Pirate jokes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want on the bus trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone. Please DO join our text club by texting "beer" to 99404. Monday morning we will be sending out a special text to let you know how to purchase bus trip tickets. It is first come first serve so do not delay calling in to buy your tickets. Do not be discouraged either...there are lots of seats so please do come and join us on the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dream has come tru with this bus trip. I always wanted to do the show with you guys and I think you'd love my homebrewed beer. I'll be calling in for tickets. John R

    ReplyDelete
  11. The show feels like it flies by even when we don't have a guest. It was fun and a nice change of pace today to just enjoy a great beer and 'talk amongst yourselves' lol

    Thanks as always to Bill for bringing another great beer to the FBB studio and listeners. Thanks to The Joe Thomas for making the magic happen. Also to Rusty Fender who has been manning the video production.

    And most of all thank you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to see Troegs with you on the beer buzz. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had Piraat on tap a year or so ago and it is a quality beer. Nice choice Bill. Have you had any of their other beers Bill?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes Anon...Gulden Drak & Augustijn are both fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice show buzzers! I particurly liked the alcohol break down. No kidding that was interesting.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tune in every week. Piraat sounds delicious. Martin

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great beer and one that I buy all the time. It doesn;t taste strong but it is. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't the label in color?
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  19. This beer has a unique flavor as you said that I have not found in other beers. My wife & I enjoy it whenever we can and I keep hoping to find it on draft someday. Cheers for a great show. Andy

    ReplyDelete
  20. How do I get on your bus trip?

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mike...the bus trip will be April 21st (Sat). Join our text club now (Text "beer" to 99404). Next week you will get a special text message instructing you how to call in and buy tickets. Call as soon as you can after the text message. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is there a way to reserve bus tickets in advance? Eric

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eric...as much as I'd love to reserve tickets, there just aren't enough seats to do so. Just be ready when you receive the text to call in and orde rthem next week. Hope to see you ALL there!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the video!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'll be heading to Krugels tonigh to buy some of this Pirat. You guys always know the best beer. James Wa

    ReplyDelete
  27. So this is available at Krugels?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yes...i comes in 4-Packs and IS available at Krugels.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm watching the video and laughing no. I love it!

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great beer and great fun today without a beer guest. What a blast. Thank you to our executive Producer Bill, we would be nothing without you! :) 100 terrific shows and counting.

    Thank you to the listeners and can't wait to meet you on our Beer Buzz Bus trip in April

    Oh, and Piraat is a GREAT beer.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  31. And watch the video for the closing credits. John obviously was experiencing the 10% ABV by then.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks Nancy...it's been a lot of fun doing 100 show....and with 27-shows in a row with guests I forgot how much fun it is to just sit down with the team and enjoy a beer.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).