WILK Friday BeerBuzz - 6 Jan 2012–Narragansett Bock with Mark Hellendrung

WILKFridayBerbuzz8Welcome to 2012 and welcome to our first Friday BeerBuzz of the new year.  Last year I vowed to not only feature some amazing rare & big beers, but it was my 2011 New Years resolution to bring you more and more approachable beers.  We’ve spent the year bringing you easy drinking, flavorful beers that are easy to find and affordable to buy, so why not start out 2012 with the same.

Today we featured Narragansett Bock Lager.  This spring seasonal brew from Narragansett comes in a non-traditional 16oz can, but don’t let that distract you from a great bock-style lager. Narragansett Bock is rich and malty and even at 6.5% ABV, it’s easy drinking and full of flavor.  The guys at Narragansett start with a traditional Helles lager and then brew it to Bock strength (a recipe created in the 1930’s), so this one is a classic.  In case you had any doubts, Narragansett Bock recently won a Silver Medal in the World Beer Championship, so be sure to check it out for yourself
 
NarrangansettBock



Today we were lucky enough to get CEO and Narragansett Beer evangelist Mark Hellendrung to join us on the show.  Mark has played a major role in reviving the original 1800’s Narragansett brewery, and I think he’s doing the original founders proud.  This is no small task, and I think this speaks well for all regional breweries from the past.  You can honor the traditions & historical brews of an older brewery and still make it successful in today’s craft beer market….so be sure to follow along & support Mark & everyone @ Narragansett as they raise funds to build a new brewery and start new brewing traditions of their own.

For those already asking, YES Narragansett Beers WILL be available in NEPA, in fact they are rolling into our market as we speak…so be sure to taste Narragansett Bock for yourself.

image

Thanks

to Mark Hellendrung from Narragansett Beer, Noreen Clark  (what a great surprise!), Nancy, John, & Joe for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

41 comments (click to read or post):

  1. I love you guys. Narragansett is a great historical beer I rememeber as a kid. Thanks for having their CEO on today. Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gansett beers were some of my favorites when I lived in Boston. Great guest Cheers Mark!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this available locally?
    JT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Guys. We really enjoyed having Mark on today. Narragansett beers are hitting NEPA and some are in stock already at Krugel's. Since we launched the premier, I expect to see Bock shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have such fond memories of Narragansett beer. I lived in RI for 6 years and always drank it. I'm SO excited to see we'll be able to get it in Northeastern PA now. Cheers to Mark Hellendrung for doing a great thing. I'll be buying some today if I can find it.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great guest! Welcome to NEPA Mark. We can;t wait to try some narragansett beer. Ben

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job with the show today. Big ups to Joe T did an amazing job with the music! Go Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another beer I have to try. Poor me! This one sounded good. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great guest. Thanks to Mark from Narragansett for joining the local beer club. Cheers to gansett!

    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to watch the show and how cool was that to have Noreen Clark on with you. I'm a big fan. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree Chris. It was a lot of fun having Noreen join us on the show today and hopefully we can twist her arm to join us again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How soon will we see Narragansett beer in NEPA?

    Art

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some of it is here now Art and we're a new market for Narragansett so I'm sure we'll see even more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mark was a great guest. I love how you guys always get some interesting beer guests and I can't wait to try Narragansett. Cheers Mark! Ned

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree Ned. We had a great time talking to Mark and I look forward to more 'gansett beer.

    We have about 30 or 40 more comments coming soon...moderating as fast as I can and I'll pick up again after lunch too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bock is one of my favorite styles and the way Mark described it count me in! I'll be trying this one myself. Bob G

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice show buzzers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to try this one for myself. I'm struggling with the can package for a bock but you guys never let me down. Cheers to Mark from gansett too. Dave T

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey what a cool story about the gansett brewery. Your guest was great today too. I have never ha dtheir beer but I always plan lunch at Krugels so I'll try it out today. Thanks for the heads up Bill.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm old enuogh to remember the original gansett beers and I remember they used to do a Bock Festival back in the day too. This is a great beer, probably my favorite gansett beer. Try it for yourself but they made a great choice and it was interesting to hear form the guy bringing the brewery back. Cheers Mark!

    Thom

    ReplyDelete
  21. You always make the beer sound so good. Yes I'll be trying this one at Krugels tonight too. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  22. You guys have such great taste in beer and I love your guests. Today's guest sounded like he really knew his beer stuff so I'm betting the Bock is delicious. I'll report back. Jot

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beertastic as usual! And today I'll say Bock-Tastic! Anxious to try narragansett bock. Dan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice to have Noreen join the show today. That added a new layer of fun to the Beer show. You should get Tom Clark or Snedeker on too. Cheers to Merk from Naragansett for coming on the best beer show. Gary J (Dallas)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved todays beer & guest!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay, let's review. Bock is German for beer and the Germans traditionally brewed it when the goats came down from the hills in the spring and, contrary to what I thought, they were not thrown into the volcano. That was my bad.

    Narragansett Bock is great and we thank Mark Hellendrung for being on the show today!

    Special thanks too to Stormtracker 16 Meteorologist Noreen Clark for stopping by the studio. It was a pleasure Noreen, our door is always open!

    Thanks to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com as always, thanks to The Joe Thomas, and thank you for listening, appreciate it very much!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really liked your phone guest today. He was a great advocate for craft beer. It was also fun hearing Noren Clark let her hair down a little. I love Noreen.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for featuring a beer I remember form summers in Rhode Island. You'd be surprised how many people in NEPA travel to RI. Cheers to Mark from Gansett.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ha! How did we get to volcanoes form Bock meaning Ram/goat!? Very fun as always and a great beer.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rockin show buzzers. And by the way I love gansett's website! Hot chicks Rule! Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Where else can you get a great beer, a great guest and some funny talkers at 8AM? WILK rules. Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was skeptical, but canned beer is good. Cheers to Mark for a great beer. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  33. A friend brought a case of their porter to PA from new england and it is fantastic. any word on when and if the porter will be available down here??

    ReplyDelete
  34. As of a week ago Krugels had the Lager in stock and was working with Northeast Eagle distributor to get more. I can't imagine we won't see the Porter and Bock in our market soon.

    ReplyDelete
  35. We brought back the Porter from a trip we did for a football game and my family loved it. Gosh I hope we can get that soon in our area. Cheers Mark!

    Erin K (Dunmore, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  36. 'gansett stuff is great. I love seeing them make a comeback like this.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Who knew Rhode Island had a brewery. Leave it to you guys to bring us another great beer. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  38. I had their Bock on a trip a few days ago. Great beer!

    ReplyDelete
  39. You guys always make me laugh and I love the WILK / WNEP thing going on. Cheers to Noreen Clark! Eddy

    ReplyDelete
  40. You guys are always so funny, I only realize later that I'm learning about craft beer. Ray

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you all and thanks again to our in-studio guest Noreen Clark and our special phone guest Mark Hellendrung, CEO of Narragansett Beer. We really had a great time talking to Mark and I'm excited to see Narragansett beers coming into our market.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).