Bridgeport Brewing - Dark Rain Black Pale Ale

image
When I saw this label gain TTB approval back in Nov, I was excited to sample it for myself….and what a great Christmas present to receive…a box of samples from Jeff Edgerton, Master Brewer at Bridgeport Brewing.  We’ve all seen the recent rage of Black IPA or CDA’s (Cascadian Dark Ales), so I was excited to see a beer simply labeled as a “Black Pale Ale.”  Bridgeport Dark Rain Black Pale Ale is the creation of Jeff Edgerton & Jim Hackbarth, and I really like the fresh approach they took.  This easy-drinking dark pale quietly marches in at 5.5% ABV with a surprising 57.9 IBU.  I loved the balance of the sneaky roasty flavor, and the less-than-subtle hoppy presence that Dark Rain brings to the table.  It was also fun checking out the great dark, rich color for this brew…and of course like all Bridgeport brews it has a smooth flavor I really enjoyed.  The guys tell me this beer uses a partial “black wheat” malt with crystal malt, and lots of great northwest hops for great body and hoppy-drinkability.  I also think somewhere in there I picked out a very subtle chocolate flavor….and I have to mention how cool the shredded umbrella looks on the label.  Great beer & great packaging come together in this brew and I congratulate Jeff & everyone & Bridgeport for brewing up a winner. 

Stats:  OG 13.5, ABV 5.5%, IBU 57.9, Color 45.8 SRM

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

0 comments (click to read or post):

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).