WILK Friday BeerBuzz–6 May 2011 (Wyoming Valley Homebrewers)

WILKFridayBerbuzz10Almost every craft beer lover has wondered at one time or another what it would be like to brew their own beer.  John & I call it “living the dream”, but most craft beer lovers wonder about brewing their own beer.  Today we welcomed Chuck Yarmey, founder of the Wyoming Valley Homebrewers into the studio to sample some home brewed beers.  Back on Sept 3rd 2010, Chuck joined us in the studio to sample some home brews, and on that show the guys were nice enough to invite us to “design” some beers that they would home-brew and bring back on the show…and today was the day.  We “suggested” a Peach IPA, an Almond Porter, and a Chocolate Cherry Stout and they guys brewed some great beers for us to sample.


imageToday’s show was not only meant to show off how good home brews can be, but also to promote National Homebrewers Day on May 7th.  As part of that celebration the Wyoming Valley Homebrewers will be holding a brew day to contribute to the Big Brew.  The Big Brew is a collection of all of our national home brew clubs and their brewing of three official recipes designated by the national organizers all on the same day.

If you’re interested in attending this day-long event locally or even just observing some great home brewing, please checkout the Wyoming Valley Homebrewers website for details.  It’s an exciting event and a great opportunity to check out what home brewing is all about….and yes I plan to be there myself for part of the day.

Thanks
to  Chuck & all the Wyoming Valley Homebrewers who contributed beers for today’s show, and to Nancy, John, Joe, and Bosco for yet another fun Friday. 
The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together
As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HEREand be SURE to TUNE IN NEXT WEEK (5/13) for a very special show AND the Friday BeerBuzz 1-Year Anniversary Party 5-7PM @ Krugel’s Georgetown Deli & Beer.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

46 comments (click to read or post):

  1. Thank you to Chuck Yarmey and the Wyoming Valley Homebrewers Club for meeting the WILK 'Challenge'. Three excellent beers...AND-D-D...who knew Chuck also made his own prosciutto?!? WOW! Maybe we need to start a Monday MeatBuzz show! Seriously good stuff Chuck, the brews and the prosciutto.

    Another great show with lots of good beers to go around...truly bringing good beers and good people together Bil, thanks!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks John...and sorry for the comment moderation delay....and oops yes I fixed the date to say May instead of April...

    Fridays shouldn't be hectic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been interested in home brewing so it makes me want to do it more after hearing the show. I'll try to make it out tomorrow for the event. Very good show!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Chuck. I used to shop your old store! I blame you (in a good way) for getting me into home brewing. I love it and the beer comes out great. Nice job on the radio.

    Chaz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn you manage to even get me excited about home brews. I love the Friday buzz and congratulations on your award. I'll have to check out tomorrow since I think I've tasted almost every beer you did on the show.

    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone. Marty the home brews were great and well worth getting excited about. Do drop the guys at wyomingvalleyhomebrewers.org an e-Mail or find them on facebook to get details on tomorrow...and be sure to say hi (I'll be there).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great show.

    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes now I want to brew my own beer. But how do I get started?


    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy...the easiest way to get started is to either stop by at tomorrow's Nation Homebrewers event in Harding OR stop by one of the wyoming valley homebrewers meetings (usually the first Monday of every month at Sabatinis pizza). You can watch, learn, ask and even read to get an idea of how to start. Many of the guys will even let you sit in while they brew so you can learn as you go. Try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chocolate Stout with Cherries sounded great! Almond Porter and Apricot IPA also sounded great!!! I think the WILK team should be professional beer designers. Cheers to you guys and to the home brewers for making them.

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a home brewer myself I really have to say think you. I listen to the show all the time, but people need to know that you can brew a really great beer at home. The quality is great, and the price is right and it's not as hard as you may think. You guys actually promote the truth, that hom brews are good and I think that's great.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Home made meat and home made beer. I love it. Thanks again WILK and congratulations to Bil for the broadcasters award.

    Jason P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Jason....it's a team effort for sure and thanks to Chuck for bringing in all the great beers (thank you Wyoming Valley Homebrewers) and the snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice show and the beers sounded great. Thanks Chuck Yarmey. When can we see Synch get back together?

    Rhia

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Friday BeerBuzz!

    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice show and a really great job by Chuck. I cannot wait for next week's party!@ See you all there.

    John (Trucksville)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Synch was very funny. I love that song.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A+ as always!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice showing by the hombrewers. I definitely want to try brewing at home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks WILK. You have a winner here and I can even tell how much the hosts love the show. Friday mornings are always light and fun even when all of the topics are not and I "blame" the friday beer buzz show for all of that fun.

    Cheers!
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks everyone. We genuinely have fun doing the show, and yes we all tend to be in the studio around 8AM, so it is light and fun leading up to the Buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  23. AND the video is UP at wilknewsradio.com!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Bil, John, Nancy and Joe for another great time. Being on the show is always a blast.
    To answer some questions:
    Amy, it's easy to get started. Your best bet is to come to a club meeting or function. Go to our website or contact me for more information at hmbrwr@verizon.net.
    And Rhia.........ya never know......stranger things have happened. :-)
    Thanks again everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Chuck...we had a great timer and we appreciate all of the effort that went into brewing today's beers...and if Synch does reunite we'll be sure to feature it on the Friday BeerBuzz....see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I may have the bug too Chuck. I've always wanted to try it. I'll definitely stop by one of the meetings. Are supplies available locally?

    Art

    ReplyDelete
  27. Art...I'll let Chuck reply too...but yes home brewing supplies and equipment are available locally (one supplier even attends the weekly meetings) and on-line.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Is it expensive to brew?

    Art

    ReplyDelete
  29. From the research I've done it's like most things Art....there are both expensive and affordable ways to brew beer....kitchen pots, sports coolers....lots of options to brew that are cheap to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Regular listener here. You always get me excited to try the beer you sample so I usually run down to Krugels. I plan to run down to Krugels anyway, but I'll admit you have me excited to try making my own beer. I'll check it out.

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm no fan of Dos Equis but I'll hit Krugels for some of the other stuff. I can't wait to meet all of you next week.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really like it when you combine your show beer with a Krugels tasting beer. I like how you give me all of the information on the beer and then after hearing the show I can actually go out and try it that night with you guys. Keep up the good shows and beers.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Chris...we do our best to coordinate as many tasting events as we can with Krugel's and we love doing it too. It's not always easy to get everything organized to make that happen, but it is a lot of fun. Be sure to join us next Friday May 13th from 5-7 PM @ Krugel's for our 1-year Anniversary party & Weyerbacher tasting.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I attended one of the Wyoming Valley Hombrew ers meetings after you last show. They're a great bunch and lots of fun. I've only been able to make two or three meetings but I am starting to build out my brewing equipment. Thank you for putting them on the air WILK.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Home brewig is easier than you think, even for all-grain and a lot more fun than most people know. Plus it's great to see someone enjoy your labors. Thanks to the friday beer buzz team for letting people know.

    Matt D

    ReplyDelete
  36. You all should design beers for a living. I think those styles sounded great and other than the stout, I don;t think I've ever heard of any of them being brewed professionally. The buzzers rock again!

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks everyone....we had fun designing the beers. I do think they're a little different than the sorts of beers out there and the interpretations done by Steve, Andy & Joe A were fantastic....thanks again guys.

    ReplyDelete
  38. The chocolate beer sounded amazing! Can I buy some anywhere?

    Larry L

    ReplyDelete
  39. Sorry Larry but they can't legally be sold....but if you're lucky and you attend tomorrow's Big Brew in Harding we might be able to get Steve to bring another bottle out to try...I agree Steve's Chocolate Cherry Stout was very good.....Steve....are you listening??? See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  40. You guys deserve another award just for marching out more and more great beer options. Thanks also to the home brewers. Those beers sounded really good.

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks Anon....it's a labor of love. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you to every who was "nice" enough to point it out in e-Mail ;)

    Yes I know I had a flub in the tasting read...BUT I want it on record that I made it almost an entire YEAR without saying "Frugal's Kriday Tasting" instead of "Krugel's Friday Tasting"....who knew I'd get more response from the flub. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I heard that. Still very funny and I don't know how you guys don't make more mistakes being live in the air and drinking a beer and trying to remember details. For whatever it's worth, I thought it was funny and I still remember the tasting tonight at Krugels is Dos Equis Lager.

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  44. Art, there is a shop in Wilkes-Barre and one in Drums to get supplies. There's also mail order companies to purchase from.
    Cost wise, if you're looking to make a beer comparable to micro, craft brew, or imports, then it's MUCH cheaper to brew your own. Stop by a meeting or come to a club event to sample some beers and meet some members.
    Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks Chuck....see you tomorrow....make that today...but later today ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).