PLCB Intervention Letters & Voting Day

Odd things seem to happen in groups and today is no different.  We’ve all read the news reports about the  alcohol poisonings in PA related to the new breed of “beverages” hitting the market.  Drinks like Four Loko, come in large 23.5oz cans, have an ABV of over 12%, have the equivalent of 5 cups of coffee’s worth of caffeine in them AND feature an easy drinking fruit flavor.  Combine that with a selling price of $2.50 in some markets, and you can see the potential problem this may pose.  In an effort to prevent further issues, the PLCB has done something they’ve never done before.  Late last week the PLCB sent letters to 17,000+ licensed beer distributors “respectfully requesting” they stop marketing and selling alcohol-spiked energy drinks.


I’m no fan of the PLCB or any other governmental office telling people what they can and can’t purchase, but I’ll admit I sort of get this one.  While I may be frightened to even taste a Red Bull energy drink, I do have some understanding of why some people drink them.  And just as someone would down 5-cups of coffee before lunch, I get that people crave and “need” caffeine.  BUT, when you mix the stimulant with the depressant that alcohol brings to the party, I’m not sure I understand what the goal is in drinking a Four Loko, Sparks or a Cocaine (yes that’s really the name).

 



In my day we had MadDog 40/40 and all sorts of cheap, high ABV malt liquors in large 40oz containers.  And I don’t think there’s anyone shocked that there’s a market for a cheap buzz beverage. But why add caffeine?  Maybe I’m getting old, but this seems like a bad idea, especially to the person slamming down cheap 12%ABV fruit-flavored energy bombs.  Do people really understand what they’re drinking?  Time will tell, but I’m sure we’re not done talking about this one.

Now I mentioned above that odd things come in groups, and today is no different.  I’ve really not paid much attention to them, but for some reason they are growing in numbers and gaining my attention.  Yes ladies and gentlemen, I’ve received multiple requests for the mybeerbuzz.com voting day endorsements.  I realize I just finished writing a political editorial about the PLCB, but telling you who to vote for isn’t my style.  There is PLCB legislation pending that may (or may not) change the way we enjoy beverages in the state of PA, and there are candidates that like a good craft beer more than others, but I’ll leave that research to you.  I recommend beer, not candidates.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

0 comments (click to read or post):

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).