Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Allagash Little Brett & Pick Your Own

Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Allagash Little Brett & Pick Your OwnI wish I lived closer to Portland, ME…and as much as I love Acadia National Park, I really would love to be closer so that I would be able to visit Allagash Brewing.  Yes we get their beer in PA, but I’m pretty sure there’s so much more Allagash beer to be explored…and I’m betting Portland is where it lives.
I always love discovering Allagash Brewing’s beer, and I’m never disappointed, so of course today I’m excited to sample not one but two returning beers (new for me).Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Allagash Little Brett & Pick Your Own
Up first is Little Brett, or more accurately “little brett.”  We brought you a peek at the new packaging, and I honestly can’t believe this is the first opportunity I’ve had to try this returning limited release beer….so without any further delay…off we go.
Little Brett pours a slightly hazy straw color and it is loaded with wonderful fruity aromas.  I found pineapple, mango, apricot and even some passion fruit, and of course the brett-influenced aromas follow suit.  This beer is 100%-brett fermented, so there is noticeable funk in the flavors, but the Mosaic dry-hopping adds in a nice citrus bitterness to balance things out.  The tropical fruit flavors help deliver a bit of mild tartness and the beer finishes clean and dry.  Little Brett should be called “Super Drinkable” as the beer goes down easy and the finish is refreshing.
Little Brett hits a really sessionable 4.8%-AbV and Allagash tells me that this is actually their lowest calorie beer at 124 calories and 7 grams of carbohydrates per 12oz serving.  If you’re looking for a good beach beer, other than not being in can packaging, I’m not sure you’ll find a better choice.  Little Brett is a really interesting, flavorful, refreshing and drinkable beer and I can’t wait to enjoy another one. 
To be honest, after sampling Little Brett, I really only wanted to enjoy another Little Brett…however there’s no way I would be able to resist opening an Allagash sour ale that just this year is finally hitting full distribution.Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Allagash Little Brett & Pick Your Own
Of course I’m talking about Pick Your Own.  This tasting-room-only release is finally hitting full distribution for 2018, and after tasting this beer, you’ll see why.  I normally don’t focus on the color or appearance of a beer, but the color of Pick Your Own is unique.  Somewhere between ruby red and deep orange/amber, the color of Pick your own just makes you want to drink it.  The aromas are loaded with fresh berries and what I thought was just a bit of oak and vanilla.  The beer is a sour ale aged in oak barrels with cherries, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries and I swear you can taste each individual berry.  The beer is tart with a really pleasant strawberry jammy flavor.  Allagash calls it a Belgian-style sour red, but for me this beer is screaming “Lambic!”
We really liked the refreshing mouthfeel and the complexity of oak, vanilla, tart fruit and did we mention berries?  This is a really drinkable beer and we were honestly surprised at the sneaky 6.4%-AbV.  All in all this is a really enjoyable and complex Lambic (there I said it) and even though my glass isn’t empty, I can’t wait to drink one again.Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Allagash Little Brett & Pick Your Own
You won’t have to go to Portland, ME to sample these beers from Allagash, but whatever you have to do, be sure to try these beers.  We loved Little Brett and we really loved Pick Your Own and I we think you will too.  As always, when you do try these beers, be sure to let us know what YOU think.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

0 comments (click to read or post):

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).