WILK Friday BeerBuzz - 12 Oct 2012 East Coast Beer Beach Haus Pilsner w/John Merklin

WILKFridayBerbuzz11

 

 

 

I’m constantly excited to see new and upcoming breweries in our craft beer market.  With each new brewery, there’s a level of excitement, innovation and yes…new craft beer hitting the market!
imageLast Friday I was lucky enough to sit down with brewmaster & Co-Founder of East Coast Beer John Merklin and sample some of his beer.  East Coast is relatively new to the craft beer world, but you’d never know it based on their beer and their great packaging.  John shared all three of their current beers and we had a great time sampling and talking about East Coast.  To make it even better, John agreed to come on the WILK Friday BeerBuzz and share his story with all of you.

John co-founded East Coast Beer with high school buddy Brian Ciriaco.  Driven by their discovery of craft beer in other countries, the two decided to make the leap and in 2009 they left their jobs to create East Coast Beer Co.  East Coast released their first beer in the Summer of 2010 and they’ve been expanding ever since.  East Coast Beer distributes to 5 states: New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New York & South Carolina with more “east coast” states to come.

Today we decided to sample Brian & John’s very first beer, Beach Haus Pilsner.  Beach Haus is a classic American Pre-prohibition pilsner with just the right amount of hops and a clean easy drinking finish.  The body is light but it has a really satisfying mouth-feel that I know will appeal to a wide audience.
image
We also sampled East Coast’s fall seasonal Winter Rental.  This is a dark lager Schwarzbier-style brew that came out in 2011 and it too has a really easy-drinking clean finish and a slightly heavier body, perfect for this time of year.  Winter Rental is a surprisingly drinkable beer for a dark lager and John tells me this is their “people’s choice” winner at every festival they do.

East Coast Beers are distributed through Northeast Eagle in Northeastern PA so they are available at Krugel’s Georgetown Deli.  Be sure to check out these beers as well as East Coast’s new Kick Back Amber Ale….AND John tells me they are working on a possible new IPA to be added to the East Coast line-up so stay tuned. 

Thank you to John Merklin from East Coast Beer, Nancy, John & Joe for yet another

fun Friday. 

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

22 comments (click to read or post):

  1. A storybook start for the East Coast Beer Company. Two guys who love beer inspired to make beer while they were drinking beer!

    Thanks to John Merklin for being on the WILK FBB today and to John and co-founder Brian Ciriaco for making great beers like Beach Haus Pilsener which I enjoyed and Winter Rental Black Lager which I enjoyed even more!

    Krugel's has 'em so whatta ya waiting for?!?

    Thanks to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com for making another fine FBB happen and thanks most of all to you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great show guys!

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sampled these beers last week and I loved them. John was a nice guy too. Good idea having him on.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I am moderating comments....or at least trying to catch up. Damn spammers....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met John Merklin last Friday and you to Bill. It was real fun tasting with you guys and I really liked the Beach Haus beer. Cheers
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the East Coast amber ale. I was at Krugels too. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. great show today

    ReplyDelete
  8. John Was really nice with samples and I liked the Winter Rental best. Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought the Beach Haus beer at Georgetown today. They said to say hi. Mark J

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys always do a nice job. Great interview today and you guys are the best. Of course I'll head up to Krugels and buy some tonight. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear there are three beers from East Coast so I guess I'll be taking home 3 six packs this weekend. Fun show today. I love that John ski's at Elk Mountain too. Scott

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me too Scott...as a season pass holder for many years at Elk, it's always exciting to hear someone mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought Beach Haus for lunch today. Nice job and whoa what a selection Georgetown Deli has. It's as big as the cow. Keep up the good shows.

    Brian O

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your guest today was really good. I'll drink to that!

    Mary from Moosic

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Nancy. I sampled this beer last Friday and I think it is a great gateway beer for someone new to craft beer. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice show. OK if you insist I will try these beers =}

    ReplyDelete
  17. How do you guys at WILK keep finding new beers and breweries I never heard of? I'll add East Coast to my shopping list for the weekend. Shay

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Shay and thank you to John Merklin for joining us on the show today. I sampled all three of East Coast's current offering and enjoyed them all. One thing we didn't mention on the show is that John is currently working on an upcoming IPA so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the video Candis B Foreal

    ReplyDelete
  20. and yes my number was 6! Houdini is your producer. I love the video credits. JJ

    ReplyDelete
  21. I missed the show but the video is even better. Drink on buzzers. TJ

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another fantastic WILK Beer buzz, a really good guest once again and two beers that sounded really good but I won;t confirm that until I get to Krugels to buy them tonight. Nice! GerrOne

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).