WILK Friday BeerBuzz–15 June 2012 Shawnee Craft Brewing Belgian Tripel & Oude Bruin w/Pete Kirkwood

WILKFridayBerbuzz11A few weeks ago I went on a great brewery visit.  The facilities were amazing, the barrel program impressive, and of course the beers were fantastic…but it was the philosophy of the brewery that really made it stand out.  “True to Nature…True to the Craft.”

Yes it’s on their T-shirts, but it’s also a part of everything they do at Shawnee Craft Brewing Co…including their beers.  Shawnee Craft is a special place and a unique operation.  From the blacksmith that makes the hinges on the doors, to the “glyph” that they brand on every barrel, Shawnee Craft is devoted to the craft of brewing and putting a hands-on personal touch in everything they do.  Check out their hop bines and you’ll see it, check out their hand made brewing paddles and you’ll feel it, check out their Apiary and you’ll hear it…and of course check out their beers and you’ll taste it.

Founder Pete Kirkwood was nice enough to not only show us the gardens, Apiary & Brewery, but also to talk to us about what makes Shawnee Craft so special.  Pete is an evangelist for Shawnee Craft Brewing as well as how their connection to the land and the place that is Shawnee on the Delaware makes them so special.  In wine making there is a term called “terroir” and it speaks to how the wine is connected to the land and how that connection is there in the flavors and characters of the wine…and this is no different for craft beer at Shawnee Craft Brewing.

image
We were excited to sample a brand new beer from Shawnee Craft called simply Belgian Tripel.

   This is an amazing beer that is loaded with flavor, body, character, and yes…the “terroir” of Shawnee Craft.  This beer is incredibly approachable for such a big beer, and the flavor is bold and complex.  Cloudy & unfiltered with notes of Belgian yeast and biscuit.  Pete walked us through the brew and outlined the process that goes into making this beer.  As Pete said, this isn’t an easy or fast beer to brew, but the guys at Shawnee Craft wouldn’t have it any other way.  Doing things right and keeping them “True to the Craft” takes time, and that’s exactly how Shawnee Craft Brewing works their art.

We were also honored to be one of the few to get to sample the bottled Oude Bruin from Shawnee Craft.  A very limited amount of this barrel-aged beer was literally saved form the flooding last year so these are rare & unusual bottles and we thank Pete and everyone at Shawnee who labored to save them and share them.

Be sure to try all of the brews available at Shawnee Craft Brewing’s brewpub, The Gem & Keystone…and see for yourself why Shawnee Craft Brewing is so special.

Thank you to Pete Kirkwood from Shawnee Craft Brewing

, Nancy, John, & Joe for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

34 comments (click to read or post):

  1. Great show. I had no idea we have such a great hand-crafted brew pub so close. Once again the Friday beer buzz brings us the best. Cheers to Pete!

    Martin A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to the Gem and had no idea the history & culture of these beers. Amazing show and I think I'll be stopping by on Saturday too. Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their Bourbon porter is to die for! Amazing beer.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met Pete on a recent visit and he really knows his beer. Cheers to Pete!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. Pete is a wonderful evangelist for Shawnee Craft and craft beer in general and it was a LOT of fun talking to him today. The Tripel is wonderful and the Oude Bruin is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be a little bit vague but I listen to both shows. WILK kills it as far as beer is concerned. Once again you bring us the best of the best , and as a bonus Shawnee Craft Brewery is local too. Thank you to WILK and to Pete from Shawnee. We'll be visiting on Saturday. I didn't realize you were so close and the beer was so good. Always bringing us the best beer! JJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Gem. After your show I love it more. I didn't know the story of Shawnee and now after the show I can;t wait to get a beer there. Cheers Pete! Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live 20 -mins from Shawnee and never knew about the beer story. I have a Gem in my backyard. Thanks WILK and Pete!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to Pete Kirkwood for being on the WILK FBB today. The Belgian-style Tripel was great and we were honored to be able to sample the rare Oude Bruin!

    Big things happening on the Delaware, get to Shawnee Craft Brewing! You can thank me later.

    Meanwhile, I'll thank Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com for producing an excellent show week in and week out and I thank you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sour sounded amazing. I think I drooled on my radio. Jerry (Carbondale)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me too. I love sour beers. Jason

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey I had the Shawnee Triple last night. It's a great beer. Gary K

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been to the Gem many times. The beer is fantastic and the food is great too. I'm glad they finally received some of the publicity they deserve. Cheers WILK & Pete.

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aparius is one of my wife's favorite beers and I like Bourbon Porter. Thank you to WILK for premiering one of our best in PA. Cheers Pete! Jay (representing Marshall's Creek, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW I love their philosophy of true to nature. This is wonderful to hear these days. Eric

    ReplyDelete
  16. A+ show today. I think you always manage to bring us some well spoken beer brewers and today was really nice. Cheers Pete

    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Shawnee Craft beers. Their Pale ale is awsome too.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1st class guest once again.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like a tremendous place to visit. I've never heard of Shawnee brewing until today so I'll have to check it out. Thanks Bill.

    JoeP

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a regular visitor to the Gem & Keystone and it is my favorite brewery pub. The selection of beers are great and I always find a few new ones to try. Cheers to WILK for featuring Shawnee Craft. All too often we don't recognize great breweries and you all do it every week.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just watched your video. Pete is a great spokesperson for beer and Shawnee Craft. I'm anxious to try it now.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never realized beer was so artistic. Great guest!@


    Johnas K

    ReplyDelete
  23. I follow your show every week. I try every beer showcase if I can. I may have missed a few but my wife & I are planning to head up on Saturday to try Shawnee Craft. It sounds amazing and you guys never let me down. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  24. Shawnee does it right. You all described the place very well. I love their Aparius too. Chris from Moosic.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks everyone, and thank you again to Pete Kirkwood for joining us this morning. Shawnee Craft Brewing is a special place and that certainly comes out in their beer. Be sure to visit the brewery & the Gem & Keystone to have some of their brews.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just watched the video three times and each time I learned something new. Pete was a great guest and I'm anxious to try the Shawnee beer. Cheers. Martin

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had a Shawnee Bourbon porter at Auants and I think it is one of the best porters I've ever had. You always have the best on WILK. Nice show. Kerry C (Beaumont)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I practically live at the Gem and Keystone. I'm only a few miles away but I've always thought their beers were a step above and I never knew why. Your show today really made me see the light on Shawnee Craft. I'm planning to buy myself a SC T-Shirt for fathers day.


    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  29. You video rocks! I'm so glad I found it. I didn't realize you taped your shows so I'm watching a bunch of them back. Kudos on a great show and guest today. Jerry (yes you know me)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bless you for what you do for the craft beer people locally! Bless you Webster!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I met Pete at your Krugels event back in May and he's wonderful for craft beer. Shawnee has a keeper there and I knew you guys would feature him. Very nice show.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oude Bruin has to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can confirm that Shawnee Craft Oude Bruin was an amazing beer. If you are ever lucky enough to get the opportunity to try some....do it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks all for your very kind comments. Please do come down and see us when you can- or ask for "the 'Craft on Draft" at you local craft beer bar!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).