WILK Friday BeerBuzz–18 Nov 2011 (Sam Adams Tasman Red w/Jim Koch)

WILKFridayBeerbuzz4

It’s not often that we get a chance to do a show like today’s Friday BeerBuzz.  Not only were were sampling some pretty interesting new beers, BUT we were joined by perhaps one of the most famous names in the craft beer industry, Jim Koch from Boston Beer Co.  It’s a special occasion for sure, and we chose some special brews to go with it.  Samuel Adams has just released a new series of beers they are calling Single Batch.  This new limited-edition series will start with four new beers, and as the series progresses the specialty beers will only be brewed & released one time.  The series includes Griffin’s Bow (Oak Blonde Barleywine), Third Voyage (Double IPA), The Vixen (Chocolate Chili Bock) & Tasman Red (Red IPA).image

These new single-batch beers continue the tradition at Samuel Adams of brewing big & extreme beers, started with their original 17.5% ABV Triple Bock back in 1994.  With the growth and expansion of the craft beer market, Jim has taken this opportunity to not only release some new and unusual brews, but also do it knowing that he can get them on the shelves and into the hands of the craft beer lovers.

It was a real blast having Jim join us on the show to help us sample the Tasman Red.  Tasman is a brew that uses Topaz & Galaxy hops grown near the Tasmanian Sea off the coast of Australia.  This big brew falls somewhere between an Amber ale & red IPA for my taste buds, and it was loaded with citrusy & toffee flavors.  This is perhaps my favorite of the new series.

We also talked about Third Voyage, and Jim filled us in on some great details about how Cascade hops grown in three regions of the world were exclusively used to flavor this brew, and flavor it they did.  The brew was inspired by Capt James Cook’s 3rd Voyage from England to New Zealand and on to the Pacific Northwest (the 3 regions where the Cascade hops were grown).  This beer is subtle for a double IPA, but a few sips in, there can be no doubt that it is big. 

While we didn’t feature them on the show today, I can tell you I’ve also sampled Griffin’s Bow & The Vixen and they are very unique beers.  Be sure to try these beers for yourself, before they are gone.  In theory (and based on sales) each of these beers will be brewed only once and new styles and varieties will be rotated into the single-batch series in their place.

On a personal note, it was wonderful to have Jim Koch on the show.  I consider Jim to be the face and voice of craft brewing.  His presence in the market and his drive to get people to reach beyond typical beers and try something better defines his passion for craft beer and it was an honor to speak to him.

Thanks

to Jim Koch from Samuel Adams, Nancy, John, Joe, & Bosco for yet another fun Friday.

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

54 comments (click to read or post):

  1. Sam Adams Tasman Red is a red IPA so already we're starting off on the right foot for me. Then add Boston Beer/Sam Adams founder and brewmaster Jim Koch as our guest and the show kicks into overdrive!

    A thrill and a pleasure having Jim on The Friday BeerBuzz today, thank you Jim! (Thanks too for making beer! lol)

    And thanks Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com for making the show great week in and week out.

    And of course thank you for listening!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys amaze me every week but this week takes the beer cake. Jim Koch was a great guest and I love his beer. I've been a Boston Lager drinker for almost 20 years. I loved hearing Jim in our local market too. Cheers to Jim and the WILK beer buzz team.

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Sam Adams The Vixen last weekend and it is a great beer. I'm anxious to try todays Tasman beer too. Thanks for having Jim on the air. I see him on TV all the time and I can't believe I got to hear him here in NEPA. Cheers to beer buzz. Chris K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard every show so far. Your other guests from Mitch Steele to Phil Leinhart have been incredible, but this is my favorite show. I've been drinking Jim Koch's beers forever and even entered his homebrew competition. I have sampled every Sam Adams beer that has made it to PA, and believe it or not I haven't tried Tasman Red yet, but I can't wait! Thank you Jim Koch. We love your beer and it was great hearing you on WILK. Cheers. Ron A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim Koch from Boston Beer on the Friday Beer buzz!@ You guys rock. I love Sam Oktoberfest and Boston Lager too. JJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will they have this beer @ Krugels?
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rob. Yes...Krugel's will be sampling Samuel Adams Tasman Red, Third Voyage and The Vixen tonight from 5-7 PM with glassware & giveaways so be sure ot get out and try them.

    a BIG thank you to Jim Koch for joining us today to sample Samuel Adams Single Batch Tasman Red. It was a ton of fun talking to Jim and I think everyone who helped make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best show yet! and I have heard them all too. I really loved Sam Adams/W Infinium last year so I can't wait to get it again. Jim was a great guest and I was excited to hear that Jaime Jurado is coming to Susquehanna brewery too. Cheers to our local beer scene. Great new brewery coming AND Jim Koch on our beer show. My weekend is off to a great start. Jim T

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job beer buzzers. Cheers Jim! I love Infinium.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Samuel Adams is the leader of craft beer in america. Jim is a revolutionary and you guys nailed it today with that statement. Cheers to Jim & WILK. Ken

    ReplyDelete
  11. You promised a big show and you delivered. Jim Koch on the air and Jaime Jurado moving to Susquehanna. I'll never doubt you guys again. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished my 3rd case of Samuel Adams Latitude deconstructed and I love them all. I was a Boston Lager lover until I found hops, and now Hallertau & Simcoe have changed my beer world. Thank you Jim Koch. Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. EPIC! That's all I can say. Jim Koch on the Friday beer buzz is Epic! Good job guys and I love you Jim! Carl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jim Koch was a great guest. You should get him again. Cheers Jason

    ReplyDelete
  15. I started loving craft beer because of Jim Koch and I've never heard him on our local radio beer show before. Very cool for sure. It was like meeting a long lost friend. Cheers to Jim & Sam Adams. Art K

    ReplyDelete
  16. After the last 5 weeks of shows I was wondering how you'd top your previous guests. And you did. I have no doubt the beer buzz is the best. Very neat to hear Jim Koch too. TJ

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was a Bud drinker until 1988 when Jim Koch helped me see the light. Within a year I had a keg system and Boston Lager on draft, and I've tried most every release Jim has done, including Utopias. Thank you Jim and thank you to WILK for bringin you on to say hi. Rob in Dallas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The beer gods love the friday beer buzz and I love Jim Koch's beers. Nice show Jim!

    Mike Aa

    ReplyDelete
  19. I smell award winning show. You guys deserve big Kudos for today's show!@ Cheers to Jim for coming to NEPA's airwaves. Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  20. Who has all the great craft beer guests on the air? The beer buzz does. Jim Koch takes the craft beer cake for me. My wife said she thought I was actually sweating while I listened to the show I was so excited to hear Jim. Love your beers Jim!

    Adam Keres

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll be hitting Krugel's tonight to try this one and the Cascade Third Voyage too. Cheers Jim! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Latitude 48 Simcoe is awesome. Thanks for brewing it Jim and thanks for coming on to my favorite beer show. Eric

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing guest in Jim Koch. Love his beer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You guys are the best. Jim Koch brews soe of my favorite beers and it was so cool hearing him on WILK. Cheers Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Boston Lager rules and I love Jim's winter beer too (I just had it last night). Chris

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing show. I just saw Jim Koch on TV and you guys have him on WILK. Amazing catch for Bill & the buzzers. Martin

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved your guest today. Jim Koch is my beer god!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I guessed it would be Jim Koch today. Great guest for the show today WILK. Cheers Jan

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow...Chris Bowen last week, this week Jim Koch ! :) Great job MyBeerBuzz !

    You guys rock !

    ReplyDelete
  30. I ttuned in at 6AM to see if I could get a clue on your guest. I had a few guests but I was amazed it was Jim Koch. I love Jim's beer and it was nice to hear him on WILK. Love you Nancy & Webster. Meg

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love Sam adams beers so it was fantastic to hear Jim Koch on today. Congratulations to WILK. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  32. Boston Lager melts in your mouth. Thanks Jim, it was fun to hear you on WILK today.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I chase after every beer you guys profile on the friday buzz. This one sounds great and the fact that Jim Koch himself came on to promote it works for me. Heading to Georgetown Deli to try some tonight. Thanks WILK! JJ

    ReplyDelete
  34. Amazing guest today! You guys rule the beer world and Jim Koch is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Jim Koch was an amazing catch for you guys and I love his beer. Nice! Andy

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm heading to Georgetown Deli now.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Me too! Lunch at the big cow!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Jim Koch and the Friday Beer buzz are a great combination. You should do this more often. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  39. I may have just found a replaement for Boston Lager - Tasman Red. Thank you Jim Koch
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  40. You had me at IPA Jim! Cheers and thank you for great beer. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  41. I almost fell off my chair when I heard Jim Koch. You guys at the best and of course I'm a Sam Adams drinker. Now I have to go to Krugels tonite. Jared

    ReplyDelete
  42. My wife took me up to Sam Adams for my birthday a few years ago and we actually saw Jim, but I didn't get to talk. Thanks for bringing him on the radio today. It was like reliving my birthday all over again. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  43. Jim Koch was fun to listen to. Have him on again!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have the Sam Adams glass and I've been a big Sam Oktoberfest & Winter ale drinker. Thanks to Jim for joining us in NEPA!
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  45. Jim is a craft beer evangalist and it was nice to hear him on WILK today. Jerry (Taylor, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Boston Lager rules. Cheers Jim Koch!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love Tasman & 3rd Voyage, the Visen is a little odd for me and I didn't get Griffins bow yet. Nice series Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Increible guest. I like listening to Jim Koch talk about beer and of course I love Sam Adams beer. Ray

    ReplyDelete
  49. Better and Better buzzers! Jim Koch was great.

    ReplyDelete
  50. The WILK beer buzz is great for northeastern PA and it was a great surprise to hear Jaime Jurado is coming to Susquehanna and have Jim Koch come on the show. I think the NEPA craft beer community is growing like crazy and thank you to Bill, John, Nancy & Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Boscoe comes through again with funny music. Looney toons, I love it! Cheers Amy

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great show and I could not say it better than the previous commentor. Barry

    ReplyDelete
  53. A+ show. Jim Koch is a great spokesperson for craft beer. Cheers Jim
    (Andy)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thanks everyone. I couldn't agree more. For years Jim Koch has been the voice, face & leader of the craft beer revolution, so it was exciting for me personally to have him on the Friday BeerBuzz. The NEPA craft beer scene (and community) is growing rapidly and it's gratifying to play even a small role in that growth. Cheers to Jim Koch, Webster, Nancy, Joe & Bosco for a milestone show and for helping me bring good beers and good people together.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).