WILK Friday BeerBuzz–20 May 2011 (Anderson Valley Hop Ottin’ IPA)

WILKFridayBerbuzz14After last week’s Anniversary blow-out show and party, it was nice to join just the Friday BeerBuzz team and simple sample a great beer. 

I discovered our brewery of the day almost 20-years ago, so it was an easy choice to bring you a brew from Anderson Valley Brewing.  Back in my early days of craft beer exploration, I stumbled upon an Oatmeal Stout called Barney Flats from Anderson Valley Brewing.  It was sweet and creamy and always a favorite, so I was really excited to bring in their classic IPA, Hop Ottin’ IPA.

imageThe Boonville, CA facility is of course located in the famous Anderson Valley, and the name of today’s brew comes from an old 1808 language the locals called Boontling.  Hop Ottin’ essentially means hard working hops, and this beer is exactly that.  It’s loaded with Pac Northwest hops but really well balanced with a hearty malt backbone.  To my taste this is just enough of a west coast big hop IPA with an almost British-style IPA malt character balance.

In addition to tasting a great beer, it was fun to talk about how environmentally and socially friendly Anderson Valley Brewing is.  From their 18-hole Frisbee disc golf course to their solar and wind powered operations, Anderson Valley Brewing is unique and a great destination if you’re visiting the area.  I should also note that while our beer today was bottled, AVBC is now now canning many of their beers as well.

On a personal level I really want to thank Nancy, John, Joe, Bosco & everyone @ WILK for the PAB Award today…that was so cool and I will genuinely cherish the award and the experience.

Be sure to try this one for yourself and see.  It’s already becoming a Mrs. BeerBuzz favorite so it comes highly recommended. 
Thanks
to Nancy, John, Joe, and Bosco for yet another fun Friday. 
The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together
As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

51 comments (click to read or post):

  1. I can't wait to see your video today. I tune in every week from North Carolina and love craft beer. Thanks Bill.

    Jody (Jarvisburg, NC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your rapture beer list. I thought of a few but you had a great list!

    Amy

    PS I like Hop Ottin

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the world is ending you should drink all your good beer tonight!

    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone...and thanks TJ...I guess the decision to drink your "good stuff" or not depending on whether you think you're staying or going.....I vote drink ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary & a well deserved award. Too often people forget what great work you're all doing for the craft beer market in NEPA. Thank you buzzers. Cheers to a great show on WILK!

    Now lets go to the Hop Oh baby!
    Thanks boscoe

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love IPAs. Thanks for another delicious one. I've tried this one myself and love it.

    Chris (Moosic)

    PS See you after the rapture

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bosco rocks! 'nuf said!

    lets go to the hop!
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good show today. Belated Happy birthday and congratulations on the PA broadcasters award. Cheers to my favorite show.

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bill, congratulations again on the Pennsylvania Association of Broadcaster's "Outstanding Radio Feature Series of 2011 Award." A great trophy for your mantel!

    And as we promised steady listener (and craft/micro convert) Ray at Krugel's last week, an IPA on the show today! While variety is said to be the spice of life, I will never have a problem when we're sampling an IPA!

    As always, great show Bill and thanks!

    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the rapture beer list! Very funny names.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks John...and of course thank you to Ray for sayng hi last week and for tuning in to the Friday BeerBuzz.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great show guys. Happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love the format of your show on WILK. It's really informational, but doesn;t take it too seriously like a wine show. Thanks again WILK.

    Arty

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe you remember Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout. I used to love that beer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone...and yes Anon AV Barney Flats Oatmeal STout was always a go-to beer for me...and it's still available now so go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We played Disc golf at Anderson Valley last summer. It's a well kept secret so I was amazed you knew about it. I love their new cans, especially when golfing.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Kim...it's my crack BeerBuzz research staff ;) I have played disc golf over a beer more than a few times and it's a lot of fun, even though I'm pretty awful. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Friday Beer Buzz rules the beer world!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Solid beer choice once again. I remember when this first came out, back when we thought it was extremely hoppy. Now it doesn't necessarily stand up against the other big-hop beers, but it's still a classic. Thank you.

    Thom from Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  20. Was that in bottles or cans?

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Thom...it is a classic...and keep in mind new hpo varieties and blends have changed our palate, especially with IPAs.

    Mo...it was in 12oz bottles.

    Anon...we rule the world...you mean the one thats supposed to end tomorro? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My friends are having a Rapture party tomorrow and now you just gave me a list of great rapture beer names to serve. Thank you. I have to head up to Georgetown today for lunch and do some Rapture shopping. Please post the list!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here you are Paul with some additions:
    Hop Devil
    Angels Share
    Judgement Day
    Salvation
    Damnation
    Mort Subite (sudden death)
    La Fin Du Monde (The end of the world)
    Serpents Stout
    The Reverend
    Hop God
    Wild Devil
    666
    Dark Lord
    Redemption
    Lucifer
    Angry Angel
    Yeastie Boys Rapture
    Deliverance
    Beatification
    Hellhound on my Ale
    Ommegang Ommageddon

    ReplyDelete
  24. Funny list! Let the Rapture face down those beers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you....

    Paul

    PS Off to Georgetown

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great list of beers for the Rappture.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm open to other ideas too......send in your Rapture Beers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How about anything from Devils Canyon Brewing!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  29. Devils Backbone from Real Ale brewing

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice Larry..and who could forget that Duvel means ‘the devil’ in Flemish.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Brown Angel by Clown Shoes Brewing.

    Marko

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice Marcko...and who could forget Angel City Brewing too. (Los Angeles)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm a regular Webster and nancy listener and I tune in all week long from work. I have to say you guys are at your best on the Friday Beer Buzz. I always just thought the relaxed fun was a result of the beer itself, but for a few weeks now I've noticed you guys have that relaxed fun attitude that is intoxicating, before Bill even comes on at 8:30. I think the buzz is a great way to start the weekend and whether you like beer or not, it's a great segment. Keep up the good fun.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  34. I agree with Aaron. You all seem so relaxed that the show is contageous. I was tuning in just for the beer show and now I find myself not only tuning in early on Friday mornings, but also on Monday morning to see what you say about the show. I was already a buzz fan, but now I'm a Nancy & Webster fan too.

    Kimber (WB)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks Kimber....glad to hear our fun is contageous. I love doing the show and it's still exciting to hear people tuning in and enjoying it...and yes I'm a Webster & Nancy listener all week too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. WILK has a hit on it's hands. Happy Anniversary! I love the new intro. I've heard every show and it was exciting for me to hear all the brew masters and guests sound off!

    Chris

    PS PLease make the video from the older shows available! I want to watch some of them again and I can only go back to Jan 2011 on WILK

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks Chris...I love the new intro too and it was a great surprise for me last week to hear it live right before we went on the air!

    We're workig on the video issue and hope to have our entire archive of shows available on video soon.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I agree with Chris...I want to watch back some of these earlier shows, especially now remembering some of the great guests you've had. PLEASE WILK!!!

    Hal

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fabulous show, and not just today. Love the fun atmosphere and how welcoming you make each beer.

    Jane T

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks Jane...Beer is and should always be a social beverage....and most of all it should be fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  41. It happens every week. Now Lets got o the HOP is tuck in my head. Thank you Bosco. If it was not for the falling in the fountain rap song, I'd be stuck with the hop song. Funny for sure WILK.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hop Ottin is a good choice and Anderson Valley doesn't get enough love, especially in PA. They are one of the original breweries in Cali and to this day still make outstanding beer.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the music. I look forward to how you'll pair the music up with the beer. I'm a text club member so as soon as I receive the page I start trying to figure out what song I would use and 9 times out of 10 you kill me. Today I wanted red river Valley.

    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for playing the home version of the Friday BeerBuzz TJ...we have a lot of fun with the music and we do put quite a bit of thought into our choices....of course sometimes it is impossible. Still one of my all-time favorites was the theme sone from Glee for Sierra Nevada Glisade...or make that Glee-sade!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I hope the world doesn't end tomorrow. I want to know what the event coming up is on June 3rd.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  46. Me too Kristen...tune in next Friday moring and we'll announce what the June 3rd Beer, guest and tasting event will be....it's another great premier beer!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'll be singing lets go to the hop tonight. You've made me thirsty!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thanks again everyone....be sure to enjoy a hoppy brew in the name of Rapture...but also simply in the name of Friday Night. Thank you again to Weyerbacher, Krugels and everyone for coming out last week and for our Anniversary...and a big thank you to WILK and all of our listeners for the Pennsylvania Association of Broadcasters Award today!

    Lets keep bringing good beers and good people together...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).