Friday BeerBuzz–12 Jan 2011 (Yards ESA)

WILKFridayBerbuzz9I always enjoy having a brewery guest on the show that so openly loves brewing beer and talking about beer, that the beer-love shines through.  I also enjoy a really fun guest, so it was truly a blast to have someone on the show who embodies what craft beer is all about.  First off, Steve Mashington from Yards Brewing has a perfect brewing name (Steve Mash), but more importantly, Steve has a wonderfully contagious attitude toward craft beer.

Extra Special Ale
Back in June 2010, we sampled Yards Philadelphia Ale on the Friday BeerBuzz and it has become one of our favorites.  Today we sampled the beer that really got things going for our friends Tom Kehoe and Steve Mash @ Yards Brewing.  Yards ESA (Extra Special Ale) was one of the very first beers that put Yards on the map, and a really classic brew.  As part of my “BeerBuzz New Year’s Resolutions”, I’ve pledged to bring our listeners beers that are great tasting, easy drinking, readily available and easily affordable…and Yards ESA is a perfect fit.  ESA is a flavorful 6% ABV hearty amber ale with a wonderful balanced malt/hop flavor, and is one of my favorite Yards brews.

I strongly recommend you get out and try some of Yards ales and see if I’m meeting my resolution to bring you great tasting, easy drinking, readily available and easily affordable beers. 
Thanks
to  Mash, John, Nancy (we miss you), Joe & Bosco for yet another fun Friday. 
The Friday Beerbuzz…bringing good beers and good people together
As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday Beerbuzz page by clicking HERE
.

And one additional detail….we’ll be watching for the possibility of a new Cape of Good Hope series of big IPA’s coming out of Yards in the future!

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

30 comments (click to read or post):

  1. Thank you for making my long snow commute a really fun ride. I actually sat in the parking lot at work for a few minutes to catch the end of the Friday beer buzz. I love the Yards Philadelphia Ale you all sampled before so I'm anxious to try this one and Steve was a really good guest. Cheers!

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yards ESA is one fine beer. I love an IPA and while Yards ESA isn't one, it IS obvious they weren't afraid to squeeze a little hoptivity in there. Not HOPPY, just right and that's right up my alley!

    The Yards Brewing website says ESA is "robust and hearty" and they nailed it. Perfect for a day like today. Gonna pick some up on the way home.

    Great show as always Bill!

    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys keep getting great guests. I love the show and I'm becoming, according to my husband, a huge beer groupie. Last week Phil Leinhart from Ommegang and this week Steve Mash from Yards, you guys Rock! Keep it up!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. A+ Guys. Nice show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are devoted enough to drive in this snow to bring us another great beer. You have to love that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone....and thanks John. Yards does make a great IPA...it's a very British-style IPA but full of great hop flavor...and it is available in NEPA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for another great beer.

    Mark (Riverside)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve Mashington was a great phone guest. He really knows his beers and really know how to talk about them. Good guest choice and I really love their ESA.

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  9. beer buzz:

    I'm a long time listener of Webster on Rock 107 and I'm now a regular listener to WILK, especially on Friday mornings. I was worried when Webster left the old beer show behind, but I have to say, I'm convinced you made the right move in a big way. The WILK show is just so much better. You guys have an excitement about each beer and I actually learn somce beer info that I can talk about with my friends at happy hour. The old show got pretty stale and continues to get worse. I hate to admit it but I stopped listening when they featured Budweiser as their holiday special. Thank you all so much for the Friday beer show. It starts off every weekend right and it gives me a new beer to seek out and try. Thanks and I rank you guys #1 Beer show!

    Art T (Wilkes-Barre, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Art. We're excited that our area can support both beer shows, but we appreciate the compliments.

    Thanks JT...we really loved having Mash on and we hope to have him back again sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had Yards ESA on tap and it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You guys are funny. I loved the mall fountain joke. SO what's next? Maybe KSB?

    Jason P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Home run of a guest buzzers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Friday beer buzz. I love Yards ESA, I love Steve Mashington, I love

    wait did that hypnosis dude hypnotize me? Nope it's all true :))

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always have a gret time on Friday mornings and I was worried you'd all be snow-bound. Thanks for a snowy friday buzz.

    Daleville, PA

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice choice of beers. Yards ESA has a malty flavor that goes well with being snowed in. Only wich I had one in the fridge right now for my snow day. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like Philadelphia Ale better, but I really haven't tried much ESA. I'll take care of that today. It's become a family habit for my husband to hit Krugel's for lunch on Friday and pick up a 6-pack of the friday beer buzz beer. I'll be trying it tonight.

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it when you guys just feature a beer, so the great guests are such a bonus. Steve knows beer! Can't wait to try ESA.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks everyone. We're really having a good time on the show, and a guest is a great bonus for as as well.

    ESA = Extra Special Ale
    It's an Amber Ale which is sort of a Pale Ale using some darker (Crystal) malts, so it's a little darker, and a little heartier.

    Kristy...glad to hear it and I'm sure Joe & Keving from Krugel's will be excited as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a big fan of Yards and I'm now a regular listener of your show. I'd like to hear more Stouts and Porters, especially this time of year, but your choices have all been great beers. I'd have to go all the way back to the Kolsch to find one I'm not in love with so you and I must have the same tastes in beer.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was a fun show. Can't wait to see the video and where's Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you. Glad to hear it Sam...you'll love the next few weeks then ;)

    Nancy has been out but should be returning next week and the video will be up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've met Mash in the past and he loves beer. Kudo's to you for choosing such a beer-evangelist.

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  24. The video is up at fridaybeerbuzz.com or wilknewsradio.com

    Thanks Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Extra Special Ale and Extra Special Show

    Thanks buzzers

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yards is amazing! So amazing they won a nice little bronze medal for the hard work on that very tasty ESA at World Beer Cup

    Awesome brewery, with great guys, delicious beers & cool mission on being green.

    I'm disappointed I missed this, anything available to download? Smash has a passion for his beers and it shows. Plus he's super cute but then again I'm biased :)

    Great job as always to you, Steve & Yards.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks "T"

    you can check out the video at fridaybeerbuzz.com or wilknewsradio.com

    And I'd agree on everything...even the cute part...but remember Steve is engaged ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. haha hey did we even fool you with our April Fool's joke? That's the biased part, I'm the lucky lady who get's to call him my man friend.

    Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ha!

    But keep in mind

    a) I trust Darel and
    b) I'm easy to fool after an ESA ;)

    So your 'fridge mus be permanently stocked w/fresh Yards. Thanks again for joining in. Your man friend (not fiance) was a lot of fun today.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).