WILK Friday BeerBuzz–15 July 2011 (Bell’s Oberon w/Larry Bell)

WILKFridayBeerbuzz3As much as holiday beer season may be my favorite time of year, I really love the wide selection of great summer beers that hit the market every year.  I especially like the traditional wheat beers that hit the market every May, and today’s beer choice is one of my favorites.

I first sampled Bells Oberon at a party a few summers ago, and I remember not only thinking it was a classic wheat brew, but I also loved the packaging.  The bright  Blue over orange with the bright orange cap really stood out for me, and I always love watching the reaction people have to the bright package and the beer itself. 

Oberon is a 5.8% ABV classic wheat beer with a slightly banana/clove flavor and a citrusy finish.  What also stands out for me is the silky mouthfeel, which I suspect indicates the predominant wheat malt in the grain bill.  It finishes clean like a summer beer should, and it is a very easy drinking beer…and I think what I find most appealing is that it still has a lot of body so I find it to be a very satisfying summer brew.

It was very cool to have Larry Bell join us on the phone to talk about Oberon.  Who knew the original name of the beer was supposed to be Solsun and that copyright issues blocked the name after the label design was complete….and I was really surprised to find that Larry’s choice of Oberon was based on a 6th grade play where Larry starred as Oberon….very cool story to go with a very cool beer.  Try this one for yourself while it’s still around (on 12oz bottles and 5L mini-kegs)…..because when summer’s gone…so is Oberon.

Thanks
to  Larry Bell from Bell’s Brewery, Nancy, John, Joe, and Bosco for yet another fun Friday. 
The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together
As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

41 comments (click to read or post):

  1. A thrill to have Larry Bell on the show where we discovered he named the beer Oberon after the part he played in his 6th grade play! It was going to be either "Oberon" or "love juice". Either one works for me!

    Thanks for being on with us today Larry, thanks Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com and thanks to everyone who listens to the Friday BeerBuzz!

    John
    (webster@wilknewsradio.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a big fan of Oberon and Bell's beer in general. I think it was amazing to get to hear from Larry Bell. Congratulations to WILK for landing such a big guest on our lacal beer show. I cannot wait to play back the video and listen again. I think I have goose-bumps.

    Chris J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd buy Love Juice Summer Ale. I think Larry should reserve that name and come up with a new Bells beer. Thanks again to Larry Bell from Bells Brewery for joining us on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Larry Bell! Once again another amazing guest. I'm amazed at how good these guests are week after week. Keep up the good work WILK & the buzzers.

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Ryan. Larry Bell is a god in the beer world but I had no idea what he was like. A very nice and funny guy. Thanks for bringing him to us. Art

    ReplyDelete
  6. A thousand and one thank yous for letting Larry Bell knw we need MORE HOPSLAM! It's my favorite brew and I have to fight every year. It was nice of him to comment on our shortage, especially given that they produced 40% more. Thank you Larry.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice show guys. This is one of my favorite summer beers. Larry Bell was great too. Thanks to Larry for joining into the NEPA beer scene.

    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous beer and one of my favorite brewers in Larry Bell. Amazing WILK show!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopslam and Oberon are two fo my favorite beers. It was fun to hear Larry Bell and thanks for requesting we get more Hopslam next year.

    Cheers, Dan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is Oberon available in just bottles?

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  11. 12oz bottles, Mini Kegs and on tap JT. The Mini-kegs are a great party item as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I buy more Bells beer than anything else, except perhaps Troegs. Nice job on Larry Bell. Armand

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don;t really like the Kalamazoo Stout a lot, but my wife loves Oberon, in fact we just bought a case last weekend. Cheers TJ Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to buy a lot of Bells Pale Ale and Best Brown Ales back in their variety pack. I didn't really revisit them (I'm not a hop lover) until a summer party on the 4th of July where I tried Oberon. Now there's a six pack in my refridgerator. I should have know you guys would feature such a great beer on the friday buzz. I love summer brews now and can;t wait to hear next week's choice.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks James. I'm sure we'll come up with another good one for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does Krugels have Oberon?

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...although don't delay. Our show beers tend to sell quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks I'll head up there for lunch maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I normally don't like wheat beer but this one has a punch to it that I like. Lots of flavor and a crisp taste too. Try this one!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bells really hits the mark with most of their standard beers. I'll agree that some of their specialty brews taste a little funny to me but I'm no expert. I enjoy Hopslam and I'm not surprised Oberon is on the show.

    Ron A

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ron...it's no surprise that Oberon is their best selling brew either.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How did you get Larry Bell!!!???? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We asked Larry and he was nice enough to join us. We actually were scheduled to have Larry on for Hopslam in Feb, but we had some phone issues and re-scheduled. Thanks again Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My wife said to tell you she loved the Liefmans Cuvee you did last month and now I'll get her to try Oberon too. Cheers buzzers.

    Jim (Beaumont)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both great beers and well worth trying Jim. Glad your wife found an enjoyable beer. I always find that even people that don;t like beer can usually find one they love if they try enough.....so always keep an open mind and keep trying beers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Larry Bell rocks. Hopslam is my #1 beer so I was locked ot the radio this morning. Will there be a video of the show?

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes Dave...The Joe Thomas is working on the video now and I expect it to be posted on wilknewsradio.com and mybeerbuzz.com by lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  28. And it's UP NOW!

    http://bcove.me/agmbxdwm

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice! Love Bells beer and the video was great.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The show video is on wilknewsradio.com

    Direct link to the video is http://bcove.me/agmbxdwm
    Thanks Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Rock on buzzers! I'll take an Oberon any time

    ReplyDelete
  32. My house is stocked with Oberon. Once again a great choice for your beer of the day.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just found your radio show and website today. I really think you are all doing a great thing for northeastern PA. The show is funny and the beer choice today is perfect for summer. I'm amazed at the website too. I didn't realize craft beer is so big in our area. Now I just have to start trying them all.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks Sam...tell your friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Would Oberon be a good party beer for a cookout?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anon...Yes. Oberon is a perfect cookout beer. It's light and refreshing so it wouldn;t ofend or overwhelm a non-craft-beer-lover, but it has enough body & flavor to keep a craft beer lover interested. At 5.8% ABV it's a little stronger, but not death defying and it pairs well with just about any food. I say yes.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Can I buy it in a case?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yes in fact the beer I use don the show today came from a case I purchased at Plaza Beverage in Pittston. If you want bottles or six packs you can hit Krugel's Georgetown Deli too.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Pretty cool way to start off my Friday. Listening to your show feature one of my all time favorite beers with Larry Bell on the phone. Perfect combination for a Friday. Cheers and thanks for bringing Larry on the BeerBuzz.

    Thom

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks Thom. I'm a big fan of Oberon as well and it was an honor to host Larry Bell on the WILK Friday BeerBuzz. Thanks again Larry!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).