Mybeerbuzz .com Highlights Smuttynose Smuttlabs Brett & I

imageI’ll admit that the last time this beer was released, I tried finding it, but I didn’t get  chance to sample it.  So personally I’m thankful that it returned and I think after you read this review, you will be too.

Today we’re sampling a Smuttynose Smuttlabs release that is returning (by popular demand)…Brett & I.  If you’re not familiar, Brett & I is fermented with Belgian strong ale yeast and brettanomyces yeast, and according to Smuttynose founder Peter Egelston,

“If there was ever a beer that’s worth a trip see us in Hampton, this would definitely be my recommendation”…so gas up the car.  According to Smuttynose, “

Brett & I will be available in draft exclusively at the Smuttynose Brewing Company tasting room and Hayseed Restaurant, and in bottles in the Smuttynose Brewing Company retail store.”

Brett & I pours a bright golden color that’s slightly hazy (very slightly) and you can’t miss the pineapple and sweet tropical fruit aromas.  The flavors lead with a slightly sour beginning, some earthy funk in the middle and a clean yeasty finish (I know that sounds odd but trust me).  This beer is loaded with some really nice brettanomyces funky flavors and lots of canned pineapple notes that we really liked.  We loved the vinuous finish imparted by the red wine barrel aging and I think it really served to balance out the beer.

Smutynose Brett & I is a great example of how the Smuttlabs program can create a really special beer, and I’m excited to see that Smuttynose recognized that fact and brought it back to give us another try.  And stay tuned, it’s my suspicion that we’ll see more of Brett & I.
image
Be sure to try Smuttynose Smuttlabs Brett & I for yourself, and when you do, be sure to let us know what YOU think.
.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

0 comments (click to read or post):

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).