11 January 2017
New Year celebrated? Check.
Christmas decorations put away? Check.
Annual hilarity found watching North Carolinians attempt to drive in snow? Check.
Only one thing left to check off for January. Don your parka, pack up your sleeping bag and head to Foothills for our Annual Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout Release on January 27 and 28.
Following is pretty much every detail you will need to enjoy this release immensely. If you’ve been with us before for this most special of days, then these details will no doubt be familiar to you. Read them anyway. If this is your first time, then congrats on scratching this particular shindig off your Craft Beer Bucket List. You too must read on carefully.
- Foothills will host its traditional Bottle Share Pre-Release Party on Friday night January 27th beginning at 7:00 pm (or thereabouts), in the brewery portion of our brewpub at 638 West 4th Street in Winston-Salem. Here’s how it works: we open up the back of our brewpub to anyone and everyone who brings a bottle or two (or three or four) of their favorite rare, unique or coveted craft beer. Interpretation of that description is up to you, but show up with a six pack of any ol’ beer and we’re not responsible for the incessant mocking which will certainly ensue. We’ll have Sexual Chocolate on tap at the bar, and appetizers to snack on if you’re famished.
- The line to buy Sexual Chocolate bombers (22-oz. bottles) will begin on the sidewalk outside the front door of the pub. You’re welcome to queue up any time after we close at 2:00 am the previous evening. (For once you don’t have to actually go home at closing time.) NOTE: please do not, repeat, DO NOT, start lining up before we close. Violators will be sent to the back of the line and force-fed leftover Zima.
- City police officers will be on hand overnight. No doubt this will prove to be for cosmetic purposes only, since we all know what a well-behaved lot craft beer enthusiasts are. There’s a rumor that those nice officers will let you enjoy your own, um, refreshments until daylight. We can neither confirm nor deny . . . we will, however, refer you to the aforementioned good behavior. #winkwinknudgenudge
- There will be portable restroom facilities in the back parking lot. We’re thoughtful like that. Please pay that thoughtfulness forward during your use of them.
- Around 6:30 am you’ll get a gentle wake up call from a string trio while being served espresso and biscotti. HA! Who’re we kidding, it’s gonna be cold and you will have been sleeping on or near the ground all night. Look on the bright side, morning calisthenics won’t be involved either. We will, though, distribute numbered wristbands at that time to denote your place in line. (Captain Obvious says make sure you have your ID with you.) We’ll also have some schwag to pass out as a ‘thank you’ to those brave souls who spent said night on or near the ground.
- The pub will open at 8:00 am, Sexual Chocolate will be tapped and waiting (as will 14 other beers – viva le variété). We’ll also have breakfast available for purchase. You know, solid food. If that’s your thing.
- Bottles tend to get snapped up quickly. that will probably continue to be the case even with no bottle limit. This is the part where we politely suggest that, if you want to partake in this beer, please please please plan accordingly. If you show up at 4 in the afternoon and complain bitterly that there’s none left, you will only create bad karma for yourself. That and the staff will be doing impressions of you until next year’s release.
- Bottle sales will commence at 9:00 am. You’ll be summoned by your wristband number in groups of 50, whereafter you’ll pay for your bottles in the pub, then proceed in somewhat orderly fashion to the brewery in back, where you’ll receive your beer. IMPORTANT: once you receive your beer, we kindly ask that you exit the rear of the building instead of heading straight back into the pub. Keeps the line from devolving into anarchy.
- Another way to create bad karma? Trying to take the easy way out and asking us on Facebook/Twitter the best time to get in line/show up. Please believe us when we say WE DON’T KNOW. Every year is different. So suck it up and come stand in line. Hang out. Make friends. Be one with us.
- NO BOTTLE LIMIT THIS YEAR. You read that correctly. The seismic shift this represents in Sexual Chocolate history cannot be understated. We’ve never not had a bottle limit. Or a double negative in our blog, come to think of it.
- Bottles are $15 each. We take all forms of payment — cash, credit cards, your firstborn…
- While we are emptying case boxes as we go, we don’t guarantee a box or bag to stash your bottles – doing so would expand our carbon footprint exponentially. Please bring something to safely cart away your newly purchased liquid treasures. How big you ask? About (insert number of bottles you plan to buy) bottles big.
- No growler fills of Sexual Chocolate. And no growling about no growler fills.
- We will have plenty of Sexual Chocolate Rastal Teku glasses for sale ($15). They’re very cool. Somehow the beer tastes better in them.
This is the second year our Tasting Room has been open for Sexual Chocolate Release, so it’s getting in on the fun . . . while no bottles will be for sale there initially, they will have Sexual Chocolate on tap Friday night, with live music from Matt Phillips (4-6pm) and Triad favorites Big Daddy Love (7-10pm). AND: there will be a Make-Your-Own S’Mores bar! I know. Decadence.
Want to stay up to date on all the latest leading up to this event? Then follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Also check back to this blog, we’ll update it frequently with new info. In fact I just now added this sentence.
Our friends at the Marriott Winston-Salem (walking distance from the pub) will be offering a special $99 rate for the weekend – we’ll post the link here when we get it from them.
WEATHER: current overnight temps are trending in mid to low 40s. We’ll keep you updated.