01 December 2016
01 December 2016 – Bend, OR– Deschutes Brewery is making extra space in its trophy case this fall. The Oregon brewery won three gold medals at the Brussels Beer Challenge, two medals at the European Beer Star Awards, three World’s Bests and three United States’ Bests at the World Beer Awards.
The brewery’s Obsidian Stout recently swept the world stage with top honors in all three of these prestigious international award competitions, taking home World’s Best Stout at the World Beer Awards and Gold from both the Brussels Beer Challenge and European Beer Star Awards.
Obsidian Stout wasn’t the only Deschutes award winner. Mirror Pond Pale Ale, one of the brewery’s most celebrated beers, won World’s Best Bitter (4-5%) at the World Beer Awards and a Bronze medal at the European Beer Star Awards.
The 2014 vintage of Mirror Mirror Barley Wine eclipsed all Deschutes beers at the World Beer Awards winning World’s Best Dark Beer, one of eight top honors handed out.
Karl Ockert, Director of Brewery Operations for Deschutes, said, “Here at Deschutes Brewery, we are constantly striving to brew beers that are innovative, tasty and high quality. We know there is more competition than ever before from excellent breweries around the world, so winning awards for our beers at this high level is a testament to our whole team that we’re succeeding at our mission of creating beers our fans will love. It is especially heartwarming to see fan favorite, Mirror Pond, continue to win top awards after 26 years.”
The brewery took home 13 medals in all at these three recent international competitions:
Brussels Beer Challenge
- Gold: Obsidian Stout (Category: American Stout)
- Gold: Down ‘N Dirty IPA (Category: English IPA)
- Gold: Chainbreaker White IPA (Category: White IPA/Hoppy Weizen)
World Beer Awards
- World's Best Stout: Obsidian Stout
- World’s Best Dark Beer: Mirror Mirror
- World’s Best Bitter 4-5%: Mirror Pond Pale Ale
- United States’ Best Imperial Stout: The Abyss
- United States’ Best Oud Bruin: The Dissident
- United States’ Best Strong Wheat Beer: Chainbreaker White IPA
- USA Silver Medal IPA: Fresh Squeezed IPA
- USA Bronze Medal IPA: Pinedrops IPA
European Beer Star Awards
- Gold Medal: Obsidian Stout
- Bronze Medal: Mirror Pond Pale Ale