Meet the Women Brewing At Anheuser-Busch

imageFrom Anheuser-Busch:

As consumer interest in beer continues to grow, so does the number of females excited about what’s in their glasses. We sat down with a handful of Anheuser-Busch’s female brewers to learn about their jobs and how women — or anyone — can follow in their footsteps:  Jane Killebrew, director of brewing, quality and innovation; Katie Rippel, brewmaster, Anheuser-Busch Fort Collins; and Rebecca Bennett, innovations team.



What interested you in brewing?



Katie Rippel: I got hooked on the brewing process during my internship with Anheuser-Busch before my senior year in college. I love the complexity of the process – changing just one ingredient or one of hundreds of parameters during the process will result in a completely different beer. The blend of art and science throughout the time it takes to make a great glass of beer has kept me fascinated ever since that first summer.



Rebecca Bennett: What first interested me in brewing was the product itself – what’s not to love about beer?  But then when I learned more about the brewing process, that interested me even more.  It really spoke to my scientific interests in chemistry and biology while also involving a lot of creativity, so it’s really the best of both worlds.  To know that you can create such a diverse array of beers from a process that is so natural is quite amazing to me.



What’s the favorite part of your job?



Katie Rippel: Without a doubt, my favorite aspect of my job is working with my team to brew great beer. I am very lucky to work with a phenomenal group of managers, brewers and technicians who have a true passion for what they do. I love seeing them light up about what they do and how they each contribute to our success.



Rebecca Bennett: My favorite part is getting to see people enjoy the products that I’ve worked on developing and to see the final product on the shelf, at a bar or restaurant, or even on TV.  It’s very rewarding to know that my hard work can be enjoyed by so many people across the country and even the continent since I also work on a lot of beers that are brewed in Canada.



Rebecca Reid, Anheuser-Busch Innovations brewmaster



Rebecca Bennett, Innovations



What mentors have you had along the way?



Jane Killebrew: I am fortunate to have worked for/with some of the most respected brewers in the industry. I had the opportunity to work for fellow UCD alumni Dough Muhleman and John Serbia who saw that I had a passion for beer and new products and gave me many opportunities to expand my brewing knowledge.



Rebecca Bennett: One of my first managers really helped to inspire me to have more confidence and gave me a lot of opportunities for me to demonstrate and develop my leadership skills. More recently, I have worked for two female brewmasters, Jane Killebrew and Jill Vaughn, for the past four years and have really learned a lot from them. They are extremely passionate about beer and brewing and exploring new and exciting things that are out of the box.



What would you tell a young woman who is considering a career in brewing?



Katie Rippel: Go for it! It is a great industry, a fascinating process and a fast-paced, never-boring career. We work hard, but we have a lot of fun. A common saying we have: it’s not rocket science, it’s BEER! And we get to make it every day. Women were the main brewers down through history – there’s no reason we shouldn’t be today, right alongside the guys.



Jane Killebrew: The opportunities to learn and grow are limitless in this area. I have been making beer for 34 plus years and still learn something new every week.  I am able to expand and grow in so many areas- brewing science, recipe creation, finance, people management skills, critical thinking.  On top of all of that, it’s a very fun industry that has enabled me to make life-long friends that I still work with.



Jane Killebrew, Anheuser-Busch director of brewing, quality and innovation

Jane Killebrew, director of brewing, quality and innovation



What are your favorite beers to recommend to women who haven’t explored many beer styles?



Katie Rippel: Budweiser – try the King, you will like it! It’s one of the first beers I developed a taste for. Also, Shock Top Belgian White, Stella Cidre or Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat, Goose Island’s Sofie or Gillian, Michelob Ultra, Bud Light Platinum. Trying beer and food pairings is another way to explore different beers and styles.



Jane Killebrew: One of my favorite challenges. I hear frequently from women that they don’t like beer; I respond that they just haven’t met their soul mate of beer yet. There are many styles that appeal to a variety of tastes. First I find out what occasions, activities, and food shapes their beer experience.  Shock Top family of beer is very appealing to someone that wants fruit-forward unique beers. Leffe and Goose Island Sofie and Matilda appear to someone who is looking for a food pairing experience.



Rebecca Bennett: I think it’s important to go out and try as many different styles as you can, even the ones that sound intimidating. I think that sometimes women get intimidated by the way certain styles can sound, but really you don’t know what you may or may not like until you try it, so I say just jump right in. Goose Island 312 Urban Pale Ale is a beer that is hoppy but really well balanced, so that is a great beer to try. If hops aren’t your thing, Leffe has a great malt profile without being overly bitter. Shock Top is also a great option that has a signature citrus character that is refreshing and unique.



Katie Rippel, Brewmaster, Anheuser-Busch Fort Collins



Katie Rippel, Brewmaster, Anheuser-Busch Fort Collins



What trends are you watching?



Rebeca Bennett: Sour beers are growing a lot and so are session beers. People seem to be interested in some complex taste profiles, but also want beers that they can enjoy for a longer amount of time. Both styles are challenging for brewers because these styles really are about balance, but it’s interesting to see people starting to push the envelope.



Katie Rippel: Ciders, new hop varieties that become the focal point of a beer, and further emphasis on seasonals and collaboration beers.



Jane Killebrew: All of them!



Read more Q&As with our brewers:

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

0 comments (click to read or post):

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).