WILK Friday BeerBuzz–23 Dec 2011 Penn Brewery St Nikolaus Bock w/Andy Rich

WILKFridayBeerbuzz2XmasThere’s always something special about the holiday season, and sharing a great beer with family & friends to toast the season.  This is my favorite time of the year for seasonal craft beers, and what better way to celebrate the Christmas-Eve-Eve Friday BeerBuzz than with a great PA state brewery.

Penn Brewery is Pittsburgh’s oldest & largest brewery, and one of my favorite.  They produce a wide variety of beers, but they are well known for their authentic German styles.  Penn Brewery also is proud to brew within the Reinheitsgebot beer purity traditions using only barley, hops, water & yeast to create their classic lagers.

imageToday we we enjoyed a classic Münchener Dunkel Bock Bier from the Pennsylvania Brewing Co called St Nikolaus Bock.  St Nik is a winter seasonal that uses traditional 2-row barley and German hops to produce a wonderful seasonal bock beer.  This beer is dark, with lots of body and some big malty flavor, perfect for a cold winter’s night and even better to share as a holiday gift or Christmas toast.

It was a pleasure for all of us to welcome Andy Rich, Head Brewer at Penn Brewery on to the show to help us sample St Nik Bock.  Andy has an extensive brewing background and it was no accident that we chose to sample Andy’s favorite Penn Beer, St Nik Bock.  Andy gave us some great insight as to what goes into brewing St Nik, and many of the other beers coming out of Penn, and also told us some great stories about the early days of Penn brewery.

St Nikolaus Bock is a classic holiday bock and a great beer to share with friends and family as you toast the upcoming holidays.  Happy Holidays to all of our listeners, readers, viewers, friends and families for helping us bring good beers and good people together.  We love doing the show and we couldn’t do it without all of you.

Thanks

to Andy Rich from Pennsylvania Brewing Co, Nancy, John, Mrs. BeerBuzz & Joe for yet another fun Friday. 

The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together.

As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

49 comments (click to read or post):

  1. You guys rock! Merry Christmas buzzers.

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Andy Rich months ago in PBurgh and I was going to e-Mail you ad suggest you have him on the radio. Andy is an ambassador to craft beer and I applaud you guys for having him on WILK. Cheers...Mark (SK)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penn brewing is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is Penn St Nick Bock available locally!?
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone....sorry for the delay. I'm wading through the comments & spam...so they will all be up soon (no spam). Thanks again to Andy Rich for joining us from Sunny P'Burgh. We had a great time sampling St Nik Bock and it was even better having Andy join us. Cheers Andy...and yesr Krugels has St Nik Bock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in the burgh for 10 years! You guys Rule...Penn brewery is the best and I should have known you'd have the master brewer on today! GREAT!
    Mark...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK WILK...who books your guests? I can't believe our local craft beer community is getting to hear all these great beer brewers! Nice show. Eric

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Penn Pils!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love Andy! I live in P'Burgh and Penn is our local brewery. Cheerys Andy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice show buzzers. I'm a big Penn beer drinker and I lived in Pittsburgh for 8 years. We only drnak Penn beers so it was great to hear Andy Rich in our new home in NEPA. Thank U WILK!

    Rodger K

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what U guys do a& I love St Nick Bock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been drinking Penn Pilsner since I was 21. I just had my birthday yesterday and I won't give up my age but I think I drank the first ever Penn Pilsner. I live in Pittston and could not believe you had Andy Rich on WILK today. Cheers buzz guys!

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  13. Watching the video now. great show Webster!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did the Penn brewing University class and met Andy a year or so ago. I've lived in Scranton for 2 years and could not believe what I heard when I tuned in this morning to WILK. You win...you've now had my three favorite rbrewmasters on the beer buzz and Andy Rich is #1. Hello Andy! Ron J

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that label!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is this a lager beer? JJ

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes JJ St Nik Bock is a strong lager-style brew....you should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your job Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How do I get on the show?? Andy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Andy..actually we alreay had one Andy on the air today but we'll keep you in mind ;). Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rockin' show again today Webster. I like the beer choice but then again I love Bocks! Cheers Ron

    ReplyDelete
  22. I went to college in Pittsburgh and I visited {enn Brewing many times. What a great choice of beers and a good guy to have on the air. Cheers to Andy Rich! John

    ReplyDelete
  23. Does Andy coming on WILK mean we'll see more Penn Beers in NEPA? Anne

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd like to think so Ann. The more we promote great craft beer like Penn Brewing the more we increase the demand and that can only be a good thing for everyone involved. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Holy big cow! I love Penn Brewing. I visite dthe brewery last summer and the guys doen there are great. I bought some today at lunch for my husband and I tonight. Nice show. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Penn Bock is my favorite holiday beer. I knew you'd have it on!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now I am BOCK Crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I thoght you guys would do only Xmas beers in Dec! Jim K

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jim...St Nikolaus Bock is decidedly a holiday beer isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I buy this beer every Dec for my family Christmas celebration. I drive to Maryland for Xmas and my family looks forward to St Nick Bock. It was very cool to hear it on the radio. I got my beer club text today and calle dmy family to tune in. We enjoying St Nik Bock Now in MD!

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is one of my favorite beers. Cheers to WILK for celebrating it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is by far the best spring Bock on the market. You guys rule! Sharon J

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just bought some Penn Bock. I met Andy Rich back in 2009 and he was a great ambassador for brewing. This is a fantastic bock beer. David R

    ReplyDelete
  34. Is this a 12oz or 22oz?

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think you guys have the dream job and yet I tuned in every week to hear what you'll say next! Cheers Dane Jason

    ReplyDelete
  36. Merry Christmas WILK. You have a winning show in the Buzz! Mark

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great way to start Xmas. Thank you WILK!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Merry Bock Beer. This is a great beer! Thanks to Andy Rich!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks everyone. Have a safe & happy holiday and thank you for joining us this morning on WILK. Thanks yu to Andy Rich from Penn brewery for joining us to sample Penn Brewing St Nik Bock! We really enjoyed the beer and had a great time sampling with you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I listen every week. I love the Webster & Nancy show and the beer buzz is my favorite segment. I started out drinking Miller Lite when you started in 2010. I now regularly buy bells Two hearted Ale & Yards Philly Pale. You guys RULE! Steve

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the show love the beer. I buy every beer you do on the show. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  42. My alarm is set for tomorrow at 11AM!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Me too. I can't wait to hear the Xmas show. Gerry..

    ReplyDelete
  44. Tun in tomorrow (12/24) 11AM for our 1HOUR Friday BeerBuzz Overextended holiday special. Multiple beers, multiple show video, multiple Beer_Cams!! Do not miss this one!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Andy was great this morning, St. Nik Bock was too! Toss in the fact that it's Christmas Eve Eve and I don't know how we could miss on this edition of the FBB!

    The hour-long, over-extended holiday edition (11am 12/24, again on 12/26, and 12/31) is the dream episode. If only we could do one like that, every day. lol

    Thanks to Andy Rich for being on the show this morning, thanks to Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com who works very hard to book our guests and make the show such fun to do and to listen to, and thanks to all who enjoy the WILK Friday BeerBuzz!

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    Best,
    John
    webster@wilknewsradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. I've still got most of a case of aged St. Nik, and I have to say he ages very well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).