WILK Friday BeerBuzz–8 July 2011 (Bullfrog Brewery Somnus Viduata)

WILKFridayBerbuzz11Back when I first started chasing great local craft beers, I encountered the Bullfrog Brewery in Williamsport, PA.  Their beers were 1st class, their food was fantastic and they had some great music and entertainment.  Many years later, I’m happy to report that Bullfrog Brewery keeps getting better and better.  Whether you visit for their classic Edgar IPA or their new creative brews, you will not be disappointed.

BullfrogLogoToday we welcomed brewmaster Nate Saar into the studio to sample two of his latest creations.  Nate has been brewing at the frog along side our pal Terry Hawbaker for over 5 years, so while his name may seem new to some, he has a ton of great brewing experience at Bullfrog brewery.

imageNate brought up his new
Somnus Viduata
for our sampling pleasure.  Somnus is a Coffee Saison….yes that’s correct….a coffee infused saison.  This 5.5% beer is loaded with flavor and an interesting beer to sample.  When most people sample a Saison they’re expecting a light yeasty farmhouse ale…and Somnus will not disappoint…however the scent and flavor of coffee is prominent so expect to be surprised. 
Somnus Viduata is Latin for Sleep Deprived and the coffee boost is there for sure…..with ethically sourced Columbian Magdalena coffee from Alabaster Coffee Roaster & Tea Company in Williamsport….be sure to sample this one.

Nate was also nice enough to also bring up his new Peach Panache.  This 5% ABV brew is a great partial wheat ale with tons of peach flavor (80 lbs of puree in each batch).  Panache uses a Saison & Brett yeast combo to give this brew a refreshing, yet complex flavor…..I really enjoyed this one.

Thanks
to  Nate Saar (& Michelle) from Bullfrog Brewery, Nancy, John, Joe, and Bosco for yet another fun Friday. 
The Friday BeerBuzz…bringing good beers and good people together
As always you can check out the video on-line at the WILK Friday BeerBuzz page by clicking HERE.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

40 comments (click to read or post):

  1. You guys continue rocking out the great guests. Nate Saar hasd been quietly brewing some amazing beers with Terry at the frog for years so I'm excited to see him getting some well deserved attention. Cheers Nate! I love your beer.

    Ryan W

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great time in Ireland and we love Dingle. I'm going next year so I'll be sure to check into Dingle Brewing Co.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Coffee Saison sounds amazing. Great idea Nate.

    JT (Ashley)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bullfrog Brewery has always been an amazing place to enjoy a beer. If you haven't been there be sure to visit Williamsport and try it for yourself. Base don today's tasting, Nate is continuing the fine tradition of 1st quality brews and some really exciting new styles. Thanks again Nate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great guest and some amazing beer I cannot wait to try.

    Alan G

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sampled the Coffee Saison last night and it is amazing. Nate has made some great brews and I was excited to hear what's coming.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Steve. And for anyone that missed it, Nate mentioned a Cherry Quad he's planning to bottle for the Bullfrog 15th Anniversary....and yes we'll be sure to invite Nate back up to sample it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice show buzzers. Bullfrog Rules!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss Terry, but Nate knows his stuff. His beers have been amazing so far and very creative. Keep up the good work nate. (Joe J)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go vist the frog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always loved Edgar IPA and I was waiting for it to change after Terry left. It's still flawless so thank you Nate. I haven't had the beer you featured today yet, but I'll be stopping up on Saturday to sample them. Thank you to WILK for another great guest.

    Chris (Moosic, PA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice show. Welcome back from Ireland Bill.

    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Marty. I'm struggling o get used to minding a clock again, but it's great to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always amazed that we don't hear more from Bullfrog. These guys make some of the most amazing beers in our area so I applaud the Friday Beerbuzzers for getting Nate and their beers on the show. Growler time! I'm heading down on Sat.

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheers to Nate. He's a rockstar in the brewing world but so far no one knows. Thanks to WILK for bringing him on the air with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somnus Viduata is Latin for Sleep Deprived and I don't have a tattoo but there's no doubt that whenever I can sneak in a few extra minutes sleep after nearly 30 years of morning radio I'll do it. So if I ever get a tattoo, I think it'll have Somnus Viduata on it.

    That said, Bullfrog's Somnus Viduata is unlike anything I've ever tried before. Nate Saar said a coffee saison has never been brewed anywhere that he's aware of.

    It has a distinct coffee aroma, a more subtle but still obvious coffee presence, and all the good things about a saison rolled into one. I wish there was a way to make it a regular morning beverage! lol

    Thanks Nate and thanks Bill from MyBeerBuzz.com and most of all thanks to all who listen for another excellent Friday BeerBuzz!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best brewery hands down in NEPA. I love the frog. Thanks Nate for continuing the tradition of great beer.

    Art

    ReplyDelete
  18. Does Bullfrog bottle their beer?

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes Bob. Bullfrog has bottled in the past and Nate mentioned today they have plans to bottle again in the future with their upcoming anniversary Cherry Quad so stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice show buzzers, especially the coffee buz beer too.

    Sam Jackson in Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Sam. I can admit that I'm still struggling with jet lag so the Somnus was a perfect choice for today's show. Thank Nate...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Terry is a hard act to follow and I'll fess up I was worried. Nate has done really well and I'm a stickler for detail. I like Nate's stuff so as a beer lover I can still confidently recommend Bullfrog Brewing.


    Kevin (Billtown, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Joe Thomas tells me the video is UP and posted at wilknewsradio.com and friday beerbuzz.com. Be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Checking out the video now! Very cool show and nice to see Nate in person having only sampled his beers. Cheers Nate.

    Armans

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the frog and I loved Ireland and you covered both topics today. I stayed in Dingle for 3 days so I know it well. We loved Murphy's pub too.

    Susan Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  26. No relation to the pub susan ;) We had a pint in Murphy's (ok maybe more than one) and can't wait to see DIngle Brewing Co open it's doors in July. I'd also recommend the Pax House B&B if you plan to stay there again. John Farrell does an amazing job and the view is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great show guys. Did Nancy really not taste a pint in London?

    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  28. Not sure TJ...I think she may have sampled at least one but we'll see if she chimes in to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great beer to sample on a morning show. Cheers to you guys and cheers to Nate and everyone at Bullfrog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cheers to Nate. Stepping into some big shoes for sure but so far I love the new beer styles.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  31. I still have a few Terry bottles aging in the basement so I can't wait to try that Cherry Quad. Nice choice Nate.

    Darrell (Taylor, PA)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Best beer show ever! You guys continually get the great beers and guests. Cheers to WILK.

    Matt Dezo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Any chance to see Liquid Sunshine again?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Probably not Anon but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love that beer!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Me too Anon. And I may have some set aside too ;) Shhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've loved Bullfrog since the beginning. really nice to hear Nate on the air and put a voice and face to the beer.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Cheers Nate. Love the Somnus.

    Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  39. Bottle more beer and send them to Wilkes-Barre Nate!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love the new growlers from Bullfrog. Nice video show today.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).