Old Forge Brewing–New 20bbl Packaging Brewery (Update!)

OldForgePintFrom Damien:

Assuming all goes well with the TTB and PLCB, we will be opening up our packaging brewery at the old TRW plant at 601 E. Market Street in Danville this summer. We have a used JVNW brewhouse, originally built for 15 bbls but modified by the most recent owners to knock out about 23 bbls. So we're using it as a 20 bbl system. We're getting new 40 bbl fermenters from Premier Stainless. We have been getting some other pieces of used equipment lately to complete the brewery and we'll continue to look around for other items as needed. We'll be doing kegs (sixtels and halves) and canning on a Cask 5 head ACS, with plans for 2 labels initially in 16 oz cans. We'll add labels as we grow. We also will package special/seasonal beers in 750 ml bottles and will begin experimenting with some barrel aged beers, using bourbon barrels and wine barrels.
 
We will continue to operate the brewpub as normal. I'm hiring a full-time brewer and full-time cellarperson for the brewery, but I will continue to brew at the brewpub for as long as possible, with the other brewer filling in there as needed.

I'm sure you may have some questions...If you do, feel free to ask either via email or call me and I'll answer what I can. In the meantime, I'll try to keep you posted on how our project progresses.
--
Damien

Thanks Damien…this is great news for our local craft beer community and I can’t wait to follow your progress.

Update (3/21):  I heard from Damien today and he tells me the new facility will be called Old Forge Brewing Co and only OFBC beers will be produced there (no plans for contract brewing).  The brewpub will serve as the “pilot” brewing system to develop new beers on a regular basis and experiment with different beer styles and ideas.  Damien also tells me OFBC does have plans to distribute their beers throughout Central and Eastern PA initially.

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

2 comments (click to read or post):

  1. WOW!!! I had heard rumblings of some news coming, but OFBC in cans? That's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Jenn....this is great news and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).