Lion Brewery – Label Fun

LionStegPorterNewLabelHere’s a familiar friend and again one of my favorite Lion brews.  Stegmaier Porter.

 

About MyBeer Buzz

Founder, owner, author, graphic designer, CEO, CFO, webmaster, president, mechanic and janitor for mybeerbuzz.com. Producer and Co-host of the WILK Friday BeerBuzz live weekly craft beer radio show. Small craft-brewer of the craft beer news sites and one-man-band with way too many instruments to play........Copyright 2007-2024 mybeerbuzz.com All Rights Reserved: Use of this content on ANY site without written permission is not allowed.

4 comments (click to read or post):

  1. that was the label that I got in on the fun with. Sam K, this label was around in the mid 80's, not the horse label (although I dont know if it immediately followed it).

    I remember it well, both with the foil around the top (not a good idea) and with just a paper neck label. either way, the beer was GOOOD.

    I still have old boxes i cant seem to part with. they have a 95 and 96 stamp on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice looking label.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Lee, I'm pretty sure this one followed the horse directly. To your recollection, did this label mark the change from the licorice-tinged expression? I remember the gold foil, too!

    That gold foil was used on the 1857 line for some time, including 1857 Dry and 1857 Light, which came with the porter (I think) in a sampler case.

    I also recall that the 1857 recipe changed (not for the better as with the porter, though) with the move from green to brown glass, so perhaps a recipe change is a good reason to re-package the product, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right on the mixed case, Sam. I bought a lot of those cases until I realized I was not interested in a quarter of them (the light).

    This label is when I started drinking steg porte, so I cant compare to the horse predecessor. This one was signficantly different from the current one though, had a molasses/brown sugar flavor that was fantastic, and distinctive. Also a hint of licorice but probably not even comparable to the amount in the 70's version.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...I do moderate each comment so it may not appear immediately...and please be nice! You can also comment using Disqus (below) or even comment directly on Facebook (bottom).